PDA

View Full Version : 'Airline Pilot Career Workshop' by Basiar???

mrcam1
18th Jul 2009, 11:54
I am currently looking into a career change, aged 35, and considering becoming a commercial pilot. I have done a few trial flights over the years and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have worked in the ground based transport industry for years now as a tour driver, and feel there are some similarities which I like.

I see Basair holds an ‘Airline Pilot Career Workshop’ which I hope might answer some of my questions in good depth.
www.basair.com.au/index.php/learn-to-fly...areer-workshops.html (http://www.basair.com.au/index.php/learn-to-fly/airline-pilot-career-workshops.html)

I anticipate it being a glorified sales pitch for Basair as well though, so was wondering if anybody here has participated in one of these 2 day events. If so, any feedback would be appreciated. I cant seem to find anything similar by other flight schools either in Australia or New Zealand. I presume Basair can do these because of their size, but if there is another one somewhere can you let me know. I am currently very mobile and could attend any recommended course throughout Australasia. Being a kiwi I could get a student loan in NZ, and would most likely go to a school there.

Similarly if anybody has advice about getting into the industry at my age and the reality of working in the sky, then those comments would be appreciated too. I understand there will probably be several years of lowly paid flying work until the big(er) money rolls in. And thats fine. I know the industry is slumping just now, but hope it will grow again in a few years. On that note - has anybody considered the doom and gloom stories of 'peak oil' and the anticipated effect this would have on the airline industry? Would anyone dare to predict when this might start taking effect on flying jobs??

Thanks to everybody who might be able to help.
Cam

Fonz121
18th Jul 2009, 14:24
Hey mate,

Welcome to the forum. I would like to write a good response to this but just got home from a few beers and need to hit the hay. In a nutshell, unless you want to do some flying (and for 2 hours flying its not a bad price) then I wouldn't really bother paying for all that other stuff as you can find the answers for free from places such as here. I was going to cover each item they say they cover in the workshop but as I said, Im knackered so I'll leave it for fellow pruners to help you with for the meantime.

Workshop content:

Careers for pilots - what is available?
Other options beyond the airlines.
Obtaining additional qualifications - the "fall-back"¯ position.
How to bring other interests into your aviation career.
Planning your complete career.
Training course guide.
2 full hours of flying training and evaluation: Introduction to flying manoeuvres and advanced manoeuvres.
30 minutes simulator instruction.
Career guidance session.
Written aptitude test.

Dances With Dingoes
18th Jul 2009, 14:36
Small country aerodrome where the instructor is the CFI and the owner and the charter pilot. WHere same person has several thousand hours of not instructing. Not someone that is looking to get some experience by teaching you how to fly.

No offence to anyone but stay away from the sausage factory.

DD

LeadSled
19th Jul 2009, 07:30
mrcam1
As you have probably figured out, the demand for pilots is cyclical, but there are always opportunities. You make your own opportunities.
A chap I started as a student, your age, 35, was told by all the experts he was too old, but he persevered, and was prepared to get out of Australia.
To cut a long story short, I had the great pleasure, almost exactly 10 year later, of have a celebratory ale or 6 with him ---- he was celebrating just having checked out in command on a widebody in the Middle East.
Go for it !!
Tootle pip!!
PS: A small school in the country is the place to start the flying, but you do need a good ground school --- and they vary just as much as the flying schools.

Airess
31st Aug 2009, 10:12
Hi There,

i was also planning on attending this workshop, particularly as I am a bit lost in the onslaught of info I have been looking at for the past few months.

Im a 31 year old female and I too want a major career change. Im on great money in a property role at the moment but have an avid interest in flying and have saved some cash to progress my flying training.

Problem is i just dont know where to start!

I think i want a uni based or integrated diploma type course as I dont want to be a weekend flyer, would much prefer to take a year off to study hard and get my hours and training in.

I have a few good friends who are Qantas Captains and they are very supportive of the cadet program, however i dont currently have the maths level to get in (i am going to study the Steve Holding Aero Maths early next year) so would have to apply for the cadetship next year. I have enquired and am seriously considering doing my PPL as a weekend student and then next year possibly going with an integrated ground school to do my CPL and instrument ratings.

So... to cut a long story short, I want to be an airline pilot in Australia and im going to do my best to get there, any advice on the best way forward would be appreciated!!

Cheers

LAL
2nd Sep 2009, 22:38
MRCam, Airess, i was in a similar position to you both around 18 months ago, i was a bit younger when i got urge to jump careers (27), and also was bombarded by the mountain of info that is out - sometimes the info provides more questions than answers.

Im based in Sydney and did the rounds at Bankstown flights schools, and i would not recommend signing up at BK, i was too often met at the flight schools by a young flight instructor who was told to fill me in on what was involved and more often than not the youngster was either too cocky or too lacking in conversation skills with adults, that i walked out(with piles of cash in my pocket ready to burn). I found a small aeroclub that has been great, much more friendly and experienced than what is on offer at BK.

I too went to the Basair preso and again was confronted with a young instructor who could not talk in public and communicate with adults properly...all of the info covered in the seminar can be found on their website. I wouldnt go out of your way to attend.

But all in all, its a long road and im now half way to my CPL, but its very rewarding and when you get to the stage of taking the plane on a cross country on your own and your up in the air for hours, you fall in love with flying over and over again. Go for it, dont worry about your age, if you're good enough and determined enough you will succeed.

das Uber Soldat
3rd Sep 2009, 05:06
my god, you were met by a young flying instructor? Horrendous, what could a young person possibly teach you? :rolleyes:

GADRIVR
3rd Sep 2009, 05:32
"Horrendous, what could a young person possibly teach you?"
ummmmm......errrrr........geezz....uuuummmm.....ah, here we go.
NOTHING!:ok:
Having a good day Uber?

Falling Leaf
3rd Sep 2009, 05:34
On that note - has anybody considered the doom and gloom stories of 'peak oil' and the anticipated effect this would have on the airline industry? Would anyone dare to predict when this might start taking effect on flying jobs??

Answer: From late last year onwards... as for the effect, gradual but permanent decline of capacity as the cost of air-travel becomes unaffordable to all but the wealthy again.:ok:

das Uber Soldat
3rd Sep 2009, 11:40
haha, one of the usual. :ok:

Nothing makes me happier than some prejudiced (EDIT) 'valued community member' with 100 hours giving career advise to people who might actually take him seriously because with his grand aviation sector experience of 1 flying club, he knows that young instructors are incompetent.

Top marks to him.

Other than that, things are great! :)

LAL
9th Sep 2009, 03:26
Ah Uber, im glad some clown like you came along...i was hoping someone like you would take my bait hook line and sphincter.

It appears you may be one of those youngster instructors i was referring to...Ladies and Gents of the jury allow me to introduce Exhibit A - 'Das Uber' now known as 'Ein Goober'.

For the two posters on this thread who were asking about entering the industry, there is the odd nuffy like Goober around, but you get that anywhere. So dont let him put you off.

Goober, you must feel like a big man roaming the PPrune forums late at night under the shroud of anonymity trying to sledge people.

j3pipercub
9th Sep 2009, 03:41
Oh dear, you haven't even got your cpl yet and already you're a tool...

laut
9th Sep 2009, 04:04
AIRESS
All the best with whatever you choose. Just be careful with the Cadetship as the bridging courses such as the one you speak of only cover you for direct entry. You must have the equivalent maths from high school :)

Horatio Leafblower
9th Sep 2009, 04:23
Uber Soldat

Normally a big fan of your work :ok:

Respectfully suggest LAL is not pretending to be an expert on all matters aviation, but is presenting a customer's point of view.

I know that our lives would be much easier if we didn't have to deal with customers, but I reckon his opinion is interesting and worth noting.

Most older clients would prefer a little grey hair about their pilots, whether instructing, chartering or RPTing.

GADRIVR
9th Sep 2009, 09:54
Hey Uber ya blouse....go on, fight im, go on, fight im.....fight ,fight..(imagine the juveniles gathered in a circle whilst Uber gets his dander up to a point where he starts scrappin"!!!)
I'll back you up mate!!!!!!:O:D:E