PDA

View Full Version : .dll Problem.....

BRL
17th Jul 2009, 20:12
Hi all. Got a programme that needs a .dll file to run on Vista. I have the file here on my desktop that I downloaded but I don't know where to put the file. Apparently the file is not in Vista but was in XP :confused:

The file is d3drm.dll and the only instruction with it is this,

Use ExpressZIP to extract the file to º
º your windows\system directory. º

So where do I copy/unzip the file to????

Thanks. :)

Tim00
17th Jul 2009, 20:24
Try copying it to c (colon) \Windows\System32 (assuming Windows is installed on the C: drive; change if not). I couldn't type the colon without generating a smily on here.

This isn't really supported in Vista, but it might work. Note - you might not 'see' \Windows\System32 in Explorer, since it's probably hidden by default. You can either tell explorer to show all files, or else open a command prompt (CMD, or DOS prompt), and manually copy it.

BRL
17th Jul 2009, 21:09
Hi. Thanks Tim. I just tried to extract it and used the path given above. As I hit enter I got an error;

Error. Access is denied.
Cannot create C :\Windows\System32\d3drm.dll

This is the error report;

Extracting to "C:\Windows\System32\"
Use Path: yes Overlay Files: yes
Error: Access is denied.
Cannot create C:\Windows\System32\d3drm.dll

:confused:

bnt
17th Jul 2009, 21:21
It takes Administrative privileges to do that kind of thing. Try unzipping the DLL to somewhere like the Desktop first, then copy it over, rather than un-Zipping directly, and it should prompt you for permission. I think - I'm no Vista expert.

BRL
17th Jul 2009, 22:06
Copied to desktop and that worked a treat.

Many thanks. :)