PDA

View Full Version : COPA orders up to 21 B-737

captbacardi
17th Jul 2009, 14:40
Copa ordered some B737 NG recently. Is that for expansion, to replace the older ones or are they going to Aerorepublica?

Thanks

AeroDiaz
17th Jul 2009, 19:18
$1 BILLION INVESTMENT

Copa will buy 13 new planes

07-17-2009 | MARIJULIA PUJOL LLOYD

Panama Star PANAMA.

Copa Airlines has signed a $1 billion contract for aircraft manufacturer Boeing to buy thirteen 737-800 airplanes, plus options for an additional eight.

The order represents a mixture of option conversions and new orders and brings to 27 the number of Boeing Next-Generation 737s the airline has on order.

Copa’s executive president Pedro Heilbron said that the new airplanes will allow the airline to expand its area of operation with more frequent flights to different destinations.

Heilbron said that “The Boeing 737s have been a major factor in Copa’s success, providing us with operating and cost efficiencies, and enabling us to offer our passengers world-class service and an extensive route network throughout Latin America.

“The aircraft order reaffirms our confidence in our business model and the growth potential of Latin American aviation,” said Copa Executive president.

The new planes will have installed “blended winglets”, which are extensions put at the end of the wings and can decrease the fuel usage between 3.5 to four percent in flights which are over 1000 nautical miles.

The airplanes also will be outfitted with Boeing’s signature Sky Interior.

Drawing from years of research used to design the interior for the 787 Dreamliner, the 737 Boeing Sky Interior features new, 787-style sculpted sidewalls and windows that provide passengers with a greater connection to the flying experience.

The Next-Generation 737 is claimed to be the most technologically advanced airplane in its class flying higher, faster and farther than previous models.

In addition, its flight deck features the latest liquid-crystal flat-panel displays and is designed to accommodate new communications and flight-management capacity. Boeing Commercial Airplanes President and Chief Executive Officer Scott Carson said that Copa Airlines continues to be successful in a very challenging economic environment through the use of the latest in commercial aviation technology.

President Ricardo Martinelli said that the destiny of Copa is tied to Panama, because this airlines moves around two million passengers a year and each plane in the fleet generates 102 jobs and that more companies should follow it example.

Martinelli also asked Heildron to consider supporting the opening of an international airport in the interior to attract more visitors to the country.

The President said that Copa should also encourage young people in Panama so they can become pilots for that airline, which has been forced to employ foreigners because they are not enough professionals, who can fill the positions.

Copa operates from Tocumen International Airport, a time-saving hub on long routes between the United States, South and Central America, and the Caribbean. It flies four of the world's longest 737 routes from there -- to Buenos Aires, Santiago, Sao Paulo and Los Angeles.

The first order will be delivered in 2012 and the last one 2017.

:D

P.S. We would like to hear from the people inside this nice company.

Heading090
18th Jul 2009, 01:26
Hey AeroDiaz , What is the source for this article????

Quote..."The President said that Copa should also encourage young people in Panama so they can become pilots for that airline, which has been forced to employ foreigners because they are not enough professionals, who can fill the positions."

Who is NOT PROFESSIONAL ENOUGH????????????? ... or he intended to say that There are not enough professionals to cover the labor demand??:sad:

LOL...

Take care guys!!!!

ps: I bet some of those B73 are indeed going to AEROrepublica, I was told by a good friend of mine from MGMT.:ok:

leondelfierro
18th Jul 2009, 02:22
he intended to say that There are not enough professionals to cover the labor demand??

Yup!... I'm quite sure that was the idea... Copa Crews look really Young, i've seen a few at SCEL, guess it's for that matter. I'll really like to get a chance there but who knows these days...

The President said that Copa should also encourage young people in Panama so they can become pilots for that airline, which has been forced to employ foreigners because they are not enough professionals, who can fill the positions

Few years ago here in Chile, a rumour coming from LAN with a pretty similar statement was around Chilean Flight Crews, when they placed a big order for their A3XX Family. believe where some 30 planes or so, but Recruting wasn't that great in Chile.
The order was spread all over the network, making recruitment available in all Latin America, still a good thing:ok:

AeroDiaz
18th Jul 2009, 03:37
I forgot to put the source of this info, sorry about that.

http://www.laestrella.com.pa/mensual/2009/07/17/contenido/123276.asp (http://www.laestrella.com.pa/mensual/2009/07/17/contenido/123276.asp)

By the time those planes arrive I´m gonna have a very good chance of putting my hands on them. :E I know I´m being very optimistic here. Any bets on this? Opinions? Rumors? Jokes?

Keep the good news coming!.

Greetings

DÍAZ

Airliner777
19th Jul 2009, 15:18
Hopefully same here AeroDiaz. Thanks for the news confirmation.

Saludos!
Airliner777 :ok:

ROI1900D
20th Jul 2009, 12:16
Hi, do you know if they are recruiting???
Thanks

MDT06
20th Jul 2009, 15:42
No yet ROI1900D. I received an e-mail about three weeks ago.

MDT06

Heading090
20th Jul 2009, 22:06
Hey MDt06, what did the email say?

Immigrant
21st Jul 2009, 15:28
MDT06
"No yet"

Sounds toooooooooooooo optimistic :hmm:
No new Expats in Copa for a long while :=
Plenty of locals University graduates waiting to jump into RH seats,
after they will be vacated by guys moving to the left.

Sorry guys But you are late for this train :(

Wate 2012 :ok:

MDT06
21st Jul 2009, 16:17
Let me be more specific, Immigrant is right, only locals for now.

MDT06

Fubaliera
26th Jul 2009, 12:24
With the 3600USD Salary for 737 Capt, im surprised they didnt order 100 airplanes. If Copa doesnt get with times they will allways become a training academy for airlines in middle east, india and asia

Immigrant
26th Jul 2009, 17:09
...they will allways become

Not "WILL" Thay ARE :D
and this is part of their Business model :cool:

bocas0274
27th Jul 2009, 18:32
I Am Just Thinking About Those Atcs In Panama ,,i Had The Oportunity To Go To The Radar Center In Panama,,i Was Really Surprised To See The Amount Of Traffic Those Guys Manage Every Day,,it Is Amazing,,,but More Amazing Is There Highest Salary 1,500...thats Completely Ridicoulus,,,no Wonder There Are Been Offer Packages For This Year In The Meadle East And Europe,,,the Aac Should Watch Out For This Year With Those Guys,,just In A Sudden They Wil Find There Self Withouth Controllers.

Any Coments......

Heading090
4th Aug 2009, 13:56
I am sorry, but what does ATC has to do with copa and their recent rumor????

Keep it rolling until it stops!

bocas0274
27th Aug 2009, 04:22
Some Peoples Simple Have Very Short Flash On Their Lamps Vision..........sorry For You.

PTY_girl
28th Aug 2009, 16:34
I am sorry, but what does ATC has to do with copa and their recent rumor????

It has to do with the fact that the Copa Hub is the bussiest of the day for the ATC Controllers on the CERAP of Balboa as it is. Extra 21 acft will mean even more work to handle, and for just $1,500 a month seems not to be a very good deal after all. The ACC has been squeezing controllers for years and years, keeping the salaries very low, even thou the traffic into/out and overflight Panama has grown a lot.

But, that's not Copa's bussiness at the end of the day...

About the extra acft's I think it's cool. I know is monopoly and all, but after so many stories of airlines going busted, at least somebody is doing sort well.

oxford
19th Nov 2009, 23:04
Does anybody know whether copa is hiring on Dec?

Immigrant
22nd Nov 2009, 01:42
Not yet ..But next year ..Will
make a line........ :}

Lu0724
25th Nov 2009, 16:34
If you go to their website, and go to the "work with us" link it will tell you all the minimums for the F/O position and captains. I don't know if this means that they are hiring or not. I was amazed to see the minimums for panamenians F/O 250 hours single engine, multi, and instruments. No comercial..

Requirements for appying for the First officer Position (http://www.copaair.com/Sites/CC/en/Acerca-de-Copa-Airlines/Pages/Recursos-Humanos-Primer-Oficial.aspx)

Panama Jack
26th Nov 2009, 05:02
I am curious to know whether COPA has pilots who commute from outside of Panama City or does baseings in other Latin American countries?

Immigrant
28th Nov 2009, 02:06
I am curious to know whether COPA has pilots who commute from outside of Panama City

Yes...but only US guys

. or does baseings in other Latin American countries?

Not ......but rumors about AUR basing :ok:

Panama Jack
29th Nov 2009, 08:30
Not ......but rumors about AUR basing

Aurillac, France?

bumba
29th Nov 2009, 15:07
Imigrant

do you know the package deal for DEFO?

Immigrant
29th Nov 2009, 18:26
Aurillac, France? :} .... := not so far

Aurora

I don't know package deal for DEFO just for simple FO :O

in average 3.5K a month take home

bumba
29th Nov 2009, 19:34
not bad over all! are you offering me a job as FO ... goooood...where do I have to sign?

Immigrant
30th Nov 2009, 03:33
are you offering me a job as FO ... goooood...where do I have to sign Did I ??? :confused:

WIKIPEDIA:

Wishful thinking - is the formation of beliefs and making decisions according to what might be pleasing to imagine instead of by appealing to evidence or rationality.

:cool:

Almendrudo
1st Dec 2009, 21:36
Well, nothing new if you´re a pilot....even an experienced pax...(since the IATA code is written on your ticket )
GUA is for GUAtemala city....IATA code
AUR....is for Aurora VOR....for pilots....

Immigrant
21st Dec 2009, 13:37
From the last pilot meeting Copa will hire 350 Pilots until 2012 beginning from the next year. .. at list 50% will be Expt's.
Good lock to everyone :ok:

bumba
21st Dec 2009, 15:26
Immigrant

do you know what are they asking and the minimum requirement for DEFO or DEC and what are they asking at the interview?

Thanks

bumba
21st Dec 2009, 15:37
Immigrant

sorry I find the rec., but if you still willing to send some gouges on the interview that'll be nice!

Thanks

Immigrant
22nd Dec 2009, 00:47
No idea about interview.....never did.
But Spanish highly preferred

jmc08
22nd Dec 2009, 17:18
what about the contract conditions working there???

regards

cargowannabe
18th Jan 2010, 19:55
Heard through the rumor mill that COPA will be hiring starting next month. Yes, I am an expat , current on the NG with over 2,000 hours PIC in NG's and I am curiuos about pay, sked and all the general stuff. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,

Cargo

Almendrudo
18th Jan 2010, 21:46
http://www.aerolatinnews.com/images/top_news.jpg http://www.aerolatinnews.com/images/noticias_internacionales.jpghttp://www.aerolatinnews.com/images/separacion.jpghttp://www.aerolatinnews.com/noticias/20100114_Thu075908.jpg

http://www.aerolatinnews.com/images/arrow.jpg Copa busca 800 nuevos empleados
Copa searchs 800 new employees

En la rendición de cuentas del 2009 realizada ayer ante los medios de comunicación, Copa Holdings tuvo una mayoría de puntos positivos, al ser la empresa que hizo el tercer pedido de aeronaves más grande del mundo, y haber capeado con éxito el temporal de la crisis económica mundial y la gripe A/H1N1. Pero la paradoja es la misma para todo el país.
Las proyecciones crecen a ritmos diferentes que la disponibilidad de capital humano capacitado. Se prevé la contratación de 81 nuevos pilotos en el 2010, pero no todos serán panameños. “Al ser un país pequeño, los pilotos aquí formados no tienen suficientes horas de vuelo y simplemente no hay suficientes trabajadores en esta área”, explicó Pedro Heilbron, presidente ejecutivo de Copa Airlines.
En los próximos cuatro años, Copa necesitará más de 340 nuevos pilotos. “Para contribuir con la solución hemos invertido en un centro de capacitación de pilotos con simuladores aéreos y colaboramos con la Universidad Tecnológica, que a la vez tiene acuerdos con Florida Institute of Technology”, destacó. No sólo se contratarán pilotos, también se abrirán oportunidades para tripulantes, administrativos, personal de aeropuerto y mantenimiento.
“Proyectamos cerrar el año con una aproximado total de 5 mil 500 colaboradores en Copa Airlines”, afirma Heilbron.
UN BUEN AÑO
Con gigantes como Japan Airlines e Iberia cayendo pesadamente, Copa salió no sólo bien librada, sino que cuenta con importantes logros. La cantidad de vuelos diarios (240) y la cantidad de pasajeros a bordo (7.2 millones) representaron un crecimiento del 11% sobre lo registrado durante el 2008.
“Copa Holdings tiene una deuda de cerca de mil millones de dólares, en su mayoría asociada a sus activos productivos y no a pérdidas”, explicó el presidente del conglomerado que incluye Copa Airlines y AeroRepública. Para el 2010, los planes son seguir creciendo y manteniendo el liderazgo de Panamá como hub de las Américas.
Se contempla un crecimiento de 15%; aumentar a 53 los de stinos y llegar a 260 vuelos diarios. Hay nueve pedidos en firme para aeronaves Boeing y once opciones posibles con la empresa Embraer.
Para mediados del 2010 se incrementarán las frecuencias a Punta Cana, Sao Paulo, Los Ángeles y Guatemala.
COMPETENCIA
Panamá invierte 72 millones de dólares en la expansión del Aeropuerto Internacional de Tocumen. Otras ciudades competidoras hacen lo propio. San José, Costa Rica - $150 millones. Bogotá, Colombia $650 millones. Lima, Perú - $500 millones.

bumba
19th Jan 2010, 08:26
Selection Process

As with any leading company, Copa has a staff selection process that aims to determine whether a candidate encompasses the Copa pilot profile, taking into consideration their interests, experience in the aviation field, knowledge, skills and their potential.

Our selection and recruitment process for our technical crew includes the following stages:

1. General knowledge evaluation
2. English evaluation
3. Psycho technical evaluation
4. Human Resources interview and technical interview
5. Flight test

As the selection process moves forward, and according to the results obtained by each candidate, the company will communicate to each applicant if they will continue onto the next stage of the selection process.

The process is complete when the candidate receives a proposal to join the Copa Airlines team as a technical crew member.

Anybody in this forum went through this selection process willing to share his experience?

Thanks

Heading090
19th Jan 2010, 17:22
Would COPA hire expats????

ps:
good post, at least some good news around!

bumba
20th Jan 2010, 06:36
Imigrant

...do you think Italian would be good enough? The two languages are very similar!

VONKLUFFEN
25th Jan 2010, 13:21
....cuanto es la paga para un capitan actualmente?
How much takes the captain home. There are conflicting informations on this threat. Page one someone mentioned 3600 for Cap and some replys above another said 3500 take home for FO.
Thanks guys.
PS When will start hiring DEC. Any rumors?

Immigrant
25th Jan 2010, 17:45
cuanto es la paga para un capitan actualmente?
around 5000$ 737, 4500$ E90

PS When will start hiring DEC. Any rumors?

unfortunately very soon

GoME
29th Jan 2010, 15:43
It is a pity that foreign pilots are discriminated by the Panamanian pilots union. That's why many are leaving to other countries.

Panama Jack
31st Jan 2010, 07:43
GoME, could you kindly elaborate in what form discrimination is taking place against foreign pilots by the Panamanian pilot's union?

The union in Panama has traditionally been against the idea of foreign pilots working in the country. About 10 years ago the US Government, in cooperation with the Panamanian Government, operated a project in Panama using civilian registered N-numbered aircraft. The pilot's union was similarily miffed that no Panamanian pilots were employed for this and went all the way of accusing that this was a violation of the National Constitution.

Obviously, a lot of politics, but numerous Panamanian pilots have also moved their careers to the flight ops departments of companies far away from Panama during recent years.

johnrico
1st Feb 2010, 17:32
So what is the updated info on the expat interviews that will soon be happeneing.

AeroDiaz
2nd Feb 2010, 00:12
Sssshhhh!!!
:mad:
(That´s a secret!!!)

P.S. Good Luck on your interview Mustang!. Remember, don´t tell any of your good ol´ jokes and you´ll do just fine.

GoME
2nd Feb 2010, 01:45
Sure I can gladly tell you what foreigners living in Panama on behalf of the gentlemen of the union, first of all we should clarify a key point. No employee of any foreign country wants a replaced it but this is not the case, Copa Airlines recruit foreign pilots due to lack of Panamanian pilots with the skills to belong to this company, so had to resort to foreigners to continue with their growth, they are not talking about 10 pilots Foreign citizens are 50%. Now a union is supposed to be to find improvements to their partners, but in this case what they have done and plan to continue doing is to make foreigners would take away benefits that were offered from the outset instead of achieve get the same benefits for them. If you can not get something, you get to those who have it taken out. Personally I think they're losing ability to get more for their members. Another point is the case of foreign pilots who travel to their countries of origin is to visit their family or medical leave renversé and encounter characters who simply tell them that they can not travel on the plane, not because there is no space but because they do not want and excuse themselves on personal reasons and they have even said that this foreign pilot is a threat to their aircraft which is unusual. The foreign pilots in Copa Airlines feel discrimination from their fellow Panamanians.:cool:

Panama Jack
2nd Feb 2010, 06:00
It is unfortunate to hear of things like this, GoME. One thing that I have observed is that, despite its global nature, this is indeed a small industry and you never know when you meet a former colleague in a different land and a different operation. What goes around, comes around.

Panama Jack
5th Feb 2010, 08:12
Looks like COPA Airlines has come out very much alive and kicking from the recent economic crisis.

Thursday, February 04, 2010
Panama's Copa Airlines Plans $250 Million In Capital Spending In '10

Panama-based airline Copa Holding SA (CPA: 49.93, 0, 0%) will invest $250 million in capital expenditures in 2010 as part of its expansion plans after weathering last year's crisis.

Even though Latin and North America, the regions where Copa operates, have suffered from the world economic and financial crisis, the airline did quite well last year, Pedro Heilbron, the company's chief executive, said Thursday in a lecture in New York.

"The economic crisis that hit the world didn't affect us," Heilbron said.

"In the first four months we had a two-digit growth (of revenue passenger mile) and we ended the last four months with two-digit growth, really we only had a decline in May-July with the H1N1 flu crisis," he said.

Copa ordered a record 23 Boeing (BA: 60.05, 0, 0%) 737 jets in 2009 (15 firms and eight options), Heilbron said. The company also acquired an option on 11 Embraer-190 (EMBR3.BR) jets.

The company plans to get eight new jets delivered this year, while it already discarded an old MD-80, he added.

Those new jets are from orders made in 2009 and before.

Heilbron is confident the economic rebound expected in Latin America in 2010 will lift air traffic and allow growth to continue.

The company, which will report its 2009 net profit report next week, expects to increase frequencies to Sao Paulo, Guatemala, Los Angeles and Punta Cana, among others.

As it grows, Copa will keep on investing. After the $250 million planned this year, the Panamanian airline expects capital spending of $158 million in 2011 and $151 million in 2012, Chief Financial Officer Victor Vial said during the same lecture.

These two amounts might vary according to the company's situation, he added.

Copa Airlines serves Central America, the Caribbean and some destinations in the U.S. and South America from its hub in Panama City. The company also controls Colombian domestic airline AeroRepublica.

The New York-traded shares of Copa Thursday fell 3.5% to $49.84.

A group of Panamanian investors is Copa's main shareholder. U.S. airlines Continental Airlines Inc. (CAL: 17.28, 0, 0%) used to hold a minority stake in Copa but sold it over the past few years.

Source: Panama's Copa Airlines Plans $250 Million In Capital Spending In '10 - FOXBusiness.com (http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/transportation/panamas-copa-airlines-plans--million-capital-spending/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxbusiness%2Flatest+%28Text+-+Latest+News%29&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail#)

jmc08
6th Feb 2010, 15:52
What about the screnning process?? Are they calling new people???

Regards

ROI1900D
7th Feb 2010, 20:40
Does everyone knows if Copa is recruiting at thiss moment, I have been told that they are going to a few countries looking for pilots/
Thanks

bumba
17th Feb 2010, 11:46
yes they are still looking for pilots, but still no information on the selection process!
Please anybody with a Copa interview experience willing to share... today is my turn and tomorrow maybe you'll be asking for more info!

So from the Copa web page I'll brake down what they are planning for screening new personnel. Someone that attended the interview will fill in the blank that'll be really helpful for all of us! Thanks

1. General knowledge evaluation______________________________________

2. English evaluation________________________________________________

3. Psycho technical evaluation________________________________________

4. Human Resources interview and technical interview_____________________

5. Flight test_______________________________________________________

Schickfuss
17th Feb 2010, 15:16
yes they a recruiting ,but they like latinos ,nor europeans!!!

Togue
17th Feb 2010, 17:19
Copa and LAN will hire about 80 pilots each ( 160 total ) in 2010.
I´ll wait to see how Avianca-Taca is going to react otherwise the market share is going to be different from what we have nowadays.

AeroDiaz
18th Feb 2010, 02:08
Welcome aboard Togue!. You read my mind with your first post.

I´ll wait to see how Avianca-Taca is going to react...

That´s exactly what I´ve been thinking after this "mysterious-top-secret-for-eyes-only" hiring process started.

"NOW LET´S GET IT ON". Mills Lane

:ouch:

EchoBravo
18th Feb 2010, 09:20
Hello guys.
does anybody know in what consist COPA selection process?

Thanks.

bumba
18th Feb 2010, 09:55
Europeans can be latinos too! What do you think?

EchoBravo
18th Feb 2010, 11:15
European Latinos.

-Italians.
-Spaniards.
-Portuguese.
-French.
-Romanians.
I think. :}

CUECO
22nd Feb 2010, 02:41
Agree Sipac Must Be Looking For Pilots Work Improvements ( Not Only Copa Pilots, So Aeroperlas, Air Panama Etc...) Instead Of Fuc.... Expat Pilots.

Sipac Directors , Start To Work, That Why We Are Paying To:} !!!!!!

ClimbSequence
7th Aug 2010, 23:37
Add andorrans to the list:ok:

Felopilot
10th Aug 2010, 05:58
Hey guys, I've just finished with all the paper work required to apply for F/O, I'm going to be sending my application soon. The only problem is, they require a minimum age of 21, and I'm going to be 20 until october. I'll still apply though, you never know.. I'll keep you posted.

PS. I'm panamanian

Fern271
10th Aug 2010, 21:42
Hello Panama Jack, I am a foreing pilot trying to apply for Copa, and I have to say something, I do respect your point of view and I think you are right I have very good friends from Panama and we share the same feelings and opinions you have to remember that other countries as well , had open their arms and their hearts to many Panamenias and they are very gracefull for that, I fly with many guys from Panama that once open a time were offer the opportunities to work for an airline in a foreing land and make a living...hope the a relation with foreing and local pilots change aaways for good.
your friend
Fernando