PDA

View Full Version : Why the "high security" login?

IO540
16th Jul 2009, 21:05
It takes time to do it, and often the characters are not clear enough and one has to do it again.

Is pprune getting hacked so much?

This is going to put people off.

Saab Dastard
16th Jul 2009, 21:20
I asked yesterday why it had been enabled, but haven't had a reply yet.

I don't understand the reason for it either.

If you can keep using the same PC you can mitigate it by saving your logon details (remember me) or having the browser do it. Normal security considerations on shared PCs etc.

SD

Atlas Shrugged
17th Jul 2009, 04:14
You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Yes you can. "Everything" would include somewhere to put it, otherwise you wouldn't have everything, would you.......

parabellum
17th Jul 2009, 12:51
Not so Atlas.

I 'Have' two cars but I only have one garage.

ZH875
17th Jul 2009, 13:18
Not so Atlas.

I 'Have' two cars but I only have one garage.

I concur with Atlas.

If you had 'everything' then you would have two garages for your two cars.

Saab Dastard
17th Jul 2009, 13:31
Ah, **** the lot of you!

It's a paradox. Like the index of all indices.

So there! :)

SD

Lightning Mate
17th Jul 2009, 13:32
"I asked yesterday why it had been enabled, but haven't had a reply yet."

SD,

Please let us know when you get a reply mate (...if you get one).

I'm having the same problem and it's p*****g me off.

LM

Rodent1982
17th Jul 2009, 13:35
I'm guess you are referring to the characters in the image you have to re-type.

This is called visual verification, VVC, or captcha...

The reason behind it is. Bots, Spam-bots, etc.

Spam-bots are computer programs which create accounts on random forums and then subsequently post links to sites selling little blue pills, anatomy extenders, etc.

These programs can't interpret stuff inside an image / photo, or at least couldn't.

When you register or login, a dynamicly generated image is ... dynamically generated with the characters embedded inside. Unless the characters typed, and the characters in the image match then the bot won't be able to login.

These spam-bots are getting a little more sophisticated, and are starting to incorporate whats called OCR Optical Character Recognition, and are starting to be able to translate the text embedded in an image into real text. So more background noise is added to make it a little more difficult.

When you run forums it's just one of those things you have to put up with, constantly removing bots. Real pain the rear.

Saab Dastard
20th Jul 2009, 09:23
Please let us know when you get a reply mate

OK - enabled by Danny because: "This extra step just makes it a bit more of a pain for any spammers."

That's the official line. Apart from the comments in this thread, there has been no reaction observed, negative or otherwise.

SD

slowto280
20th Jul 2009, 10:14
I was worried for no reason then as I thought it was an eye test. I failed miserably several times.......

Oh, and what's the problem with a good 'anatomy extender'? :(

green granite
20th Jul 2009, 10:28
I don't sign out so I am automatically logged on each time I enter the site and so far I've not seen it.

ericlday
20th Jul 2009, 10:33
gg... like you I don't sign out so there is no problem with extra security log in.

Pontius Navigator
20th Jul 2009, 17:19
It was p1ssing me off because my firewall was logging me out. Only a problem with my laptop and the firewall. The netbook and same firewall had no issues.

vonbag
21st Jul 2009, 15:23
Hello all,

I am having the same problem here: not only the secure log-in feature, however, ( sometimes I have to hit 'refresh' as I do not recognise those awkward looking letters & numbers ) - which came later -
but I am also getting a pop up window -- like I mentioned to the friend I just met, Runway in Sight -- from "spybot search and destroy", regarding a certain "Avenue A, .inc" (or whatever) file, whether I want to download it or not.

Best of good luck to all.... and happy browsing on this website!

Saab Dastard
21st Jul 2009, 16:12
Vonbag,

Use an ad-blocker (AdBlock Pro for FF, IE7Pro for IE7) or configure your hosts file to block the Avenue A crap.

SD

LH2
22nd Jul 2009, 11:15
Hmm... does Pprune do pop-ups? I don't recall ever seeing one even with NoScript turned off, plus the nature of the product being advertised lead me to think that vonbag's computer is already running spyware of some sort.

Not a Windows type at all so purely guessing. Am I more or less right?

Saab Dastard
22nd Jul 2009, 14:29
LH2,

No, he has installed SpyBot (an anti-spyware utility). It is Spybot that's popping up a warning / alert about Avenue A.

Yes, you are correct that PPRUNE doesn't do pop-ups, but they certainly do advertising!

SD

merlinxx
23rd Jul 2009, 16:43
AdBlock now not working here, has Danny got the folks to override it I wonder ?

Saab Dastard
23rd Jul 2009, 17:20
AdBlock Pro working fine on FF2 for me.

No changes to PPRUNE that I'm aware of.

Either your ABP is mis-configured, or you have a malware problem.

SD

ArthurR
26th Jul 2009, 09:06
I use the same computer all the time, my lap top, but as later today I will be in Berlin, then tomorrow in Varel, and even though I have activated remember me, I expect to have to go through the log ins again, but if this will stop those annoying "unable to connect" messages I'm all for it..

Capot
26th Jul 2009, 22:00
On a slightly related subject, recently the process of navigating round pprune seems to have slowed down a lot; as one selects a thread or another forum there's a huge amount of activity in the bottom left-hand corner (the words "transferring data from...." crop up a lot), often a long pause with a blank screen with the word "read" in that corner with an address of some sort.

Is this to do with pprune, my computer, or the network?

Mike-Bracknell
27th Jul 2009, 00:48
On a slightly related subject, recently the process of navigating round PPRuNe seems to have slowed down a lot; as one selects a thread or another forum there's a huge amount of activity in the bottom left-hand corner (the words "transferring data from...." crop up a lot), often a long pause with a blank screen with the word "read" in that corner with an address of some sort.

Is this to do with PPRuNe, my computer, or the network?

More than likely items 1 or 3. Especially if it now varies dependent upon the time of day.