PDA

View Full Version : Cannot find folder on new drive. What am I missing?

aspinwing
15th Jul 2009, 17:27
Situation: Home office with two networked computers. Yesterday, Mrs A’s computer would not start; fried motherboard. Bought new computer. Supplier installed XP Pro. Had supplier install her old “C” drive as the new “E” drive. Good so far. Conversion / transfer has to be in order. MS does not like surprises. Reinstalled MS Office on C: to get Outlook. Good. Outlook up and running. Left e-mail messages on server for time being. Now have to move “.pst” files from E: to C:

Did a search and find “Outlook.pst” files on both drives as expected. Drive letter:\Documents and Settings\XXX\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft Data\ Outlook. Again so far, so good.

Using Explore to find files and nothing on either drive. That is: after user name the “Local Settings” does not appear in either drive. I have checked my computer and the path is the on my C: drive. I want to drag and drop her “.pst” files from E: to C:

I suspect that I have missed a switch somewhere in the setup. Has anybody got any ideas?

Saab Dastard
15th Jul 2009, 17:31
Yes, the folders are hidden - you will need to go to My Computer / Tools / Folder Options / View and tick or untick the relevant boxes.

Also, you will need to be running as an admin or equivalent.

SD

aspinwing
15th Jul 2009, 17:42
Bingo. I would not have considered it a "system" file but seems to be what was needed. Thanks :ok:

Mike-Bracknell
15th Jul 2009, 19:01
You'll be wanting this next:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/outlook/HA011394511033.aspx