PDA

View Full Version : Vista v Adobe

Lightning Mate
15th Jul 2009, 13:34
Is anyone out there able to help with my problem?

I recently acquired a new computer with Vista installed.

I need to use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. Photoshop loaded by being told to install in XP compatibility mode. This does not work with Illustrator (V10) and I am now without my main software.

LM

Bushfiva
15th Jul 2009, 15:02
You'd be better off with a version of Illustrator supported by Vista. Failing that, try the usual tricks:

Right-click on the Illustrator.exe file, choose properties, click the compatibility tab, then disable Visual Themes, Desktop Composition & display scaling on high DPI machines.

Also, run in compatibility mode (you're already doing that) and delete the aiprefs file which is in, er, C : \ Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe.

Adobe.com might be a better source of information.

Lightning Mate
15th Jul 2009, 18:12
Bushfiva,

Thanks Buddy.

I have done all that - Adobe seems not to be supporting Vista.
My copy is hacked and has worked for seven years, so I can't go to the Adobe site.

LM

bnt
16th Jul 2009, 13:04
There's some info on this from Adobe, here (http://www.adobe.com/support/products/pdfs/adobe_products_and_windows_vista.pdf) (PDF) - Illustrator 10 is filed under "no support".
Adobe does not recommend installing and running InDesign CS, Photoshop CS, Illustrator CS, GoLIve CS, or earlier versions of any of these products on Windows Vista.
Can you run the installer in a different compatibility mode e.g. Windows 2000? If you can get it to install somehow, you may be able to then go and set compatibility on the program file(s).

It may be that the program would work, but the installer won't, in which case it may be possible to "transplant" the program files from another computer. There's no hard-and-fast rule for this, it's down to how many "hooks" a program puts in to the OS on installation.

Lightning Mate
16th Jul 2009, 14:20
Thanks bnt.