PDA

View Full Version : Seat Upgrade at Check In

KarlosFandangos
14th Jul 2009, 17:40
Im Flying LHR-YYZ in September with BA on WT+, to take my brother there for his 21st birthday. I have seen on a few sites that you can apparently upgrade your seat at check-in if you have checked in with BA online. I've looked at the BA website and I cant find anything about these upgrades that you can ask for at check-in. Does anyone know if BA are still continuing to do it and how much it is likely to cost?

phineas
14th Jul 2009, 18:37
I once wondered if it was possible to turn up at Heathrow, buy a ticket to Los Angeles and leave on the first ‘plane. Got to Heathrow asked about prices for all 4 classes, got good price for World Traveller, ridiculous for all other classes. Um’d and ah’d, had wanted a Club World ticket, was told flight half full so took World Traveller ticket. Half empty World Traveller better than full Club World. Return flight not so good, full, so paid for upgrade from World Traveller to World Traveller Plus, I think the upgrade cost much as the difference between standard one way World Traveller and World Traveller Plus. All this assumes there is space in Club World. So it is possible

agent x
14th Jul 2009, 19:38
Call British Airways? :rolleyes: 0844 493 0 787.

Fargoo
14th Jul 2009, 20:04
You can upgrade on-line via the Manage my booking link.

Manage Flight Bookings and Details - British Airways (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/mmbhome/public/en_gb?link=TOP_MMB)

You can do it at check in at the terminal but leaving it until the last moment will more than likely cost more. Always the risk that all the seats will be gone if you leave it that late.

bealine
15th Jul 2009, 07:10
As from today, 15th July, there will be a trial of selling upgrades from World Traveller to World Traveller Plus available on some selected flights (the flights will be chosen on the day of travel) from Heathrow Terminal 5.

The Flight Information Screns in the Terminal will indicate if the upgrade opportunity applies to your flight. Your baggage allowance remains at the World Traveller level and mileage will be awarded at the original selling class.

This is a tentative dip of a toe into the water by British Airways, for the company is a little apprehensive in case passengers who normally pay for WTP may start downtrading.

The cost will be fixed at GBP150 and there is a set procedure to follow if you wish to take advantage:

1. Check-In on-line or at an airport Check In Kiosk.
2. Proceed to one of the Fast Bag Drop Desks at Zone G in Terminal 5 where your passport and visa check will be carried out and any baggage checked in.
3. You will then be referred to the Customer Service and Reservations Desk in Zone J who will take your payment and process the seat change.

Please rememver that this is a trial and the procedure may change, or be withdrawn altogether, without much notice depending on how successful or not it proves to be.

Let's hope it works as it should!

KarlosFandangos
15th Jul 2009, 11:56
Thanks for the info, do you know if you can upgrade at the terminal for World Traveller Plus to Club? As I am already booked on in World Traveller Plus.

mbwlewis
21st Jul 2009, 01:57
*BUMP*

2nd user with same question regarding WT+ > J upgrade during OLCI or at checkin.

smith
21st Jul 2009, 05:31
Flew USairways PHL-GLA recently and when checking in at the computer station a screen came up asking if Id like an upgrade for $500, not bad so took it, wish I hadn't, there were only about 30pax total on flight and I could have stretched out over three seats no bother. Food was good though.

raffele
21st Jul 2009, 13:39
mbwlewis - please don't bump - the mods don't like it and it's not needed.

As has been previously mentioned - you can upgrade through MMB before check in, or for a trial period you can upgrade on selected flights when using the fast bag drops in Zone G. Refer to FIS when you arrive at the airport to see if your flight qualifies.

At the minute it appears only to apply WT -> WTP, but it won't hurt to ask about upgrading WTP -> CW