PDA

View Full Version : Be careful and dont take risk's

EGCC4284
14th Jul 2009, 14:28
Its always best wishing you were flying than wishing you were not.

If in doubt, divert or land in a field

TAKEOFF TUBE - Final Flight (http://www.takeofftube.com/view/2270/final-flight/)

liam548
14th Jul 2009, 15:12
Scary video..

rusty sparrow
14th Jul 2009, 15:59
Bugger that! Very powerful video.

GearDownFlaps
14th Jul 2009, 16:16
Wow , excellent production may have to try and use that with a few studes , :ok:

Pace
14th Jul 2009, 16:32
Begs the question what would you have done in the left seat in that situation considering the remaining fuel?

Excellent composed production

Pace

airborne_artist
14th Jul 2009, 16:51
Begs the question what would you have done in the left seat in that situation considering the remaining fuel?

We don't know the distance/weather of alternates. A forced landing might have been a serious option, but not going towards the worst of the weather.

PompeyPaul
14th Jul 2009, 17:11
I would divert. There agin. I'd have taken enough fuel and had a diversion airfield planned. If that WAS the diversion airfield then it would be a forced landing into a field. Hopefully the field would be the airfield, but I wouldn't be holding out for that....

What is the METAR\TAF code for a twister anyway ?

ECAM_Actions
14th Jul 2009, 17:48
What was the outcome of this.........?

ECAM Actions.

Cusco
14th Jul 2009, 18:26
What was the outcome of this.........?

I guess it depends whether the 'Final' in the title refers to the occupants of the aeroplane, the aeroplane or both.

Sobering video: I assume it's genuine.

Cusco

vabsie
14th Jul 2009, 18:44
In order to try and learn from others' mistakes ... what would you say was the main reason(s) for the stall/dip at the end .. apart from an obvious high work-load due to crap weather?

Is it possible that a few knots of higher airspeed could have overcome this and that the pilot possibly didn't pay enough attention to the ASI?

Not pointing fingers at mistakes made (if any), just trying to learn.

Vabsie

chrisN
14th Jul 2009, 18:45
Would it not be a bit of a coincidence for an aircraft that just happened to be in dire weather and ending up with a crash to have one camera on the tail, looking forward, another inside looking at the pilot, and a third looking forward at the runway? Plus one in the Control tower? Handy for the investigators from NTSB, anyway.

If set up to simulate it, how did they fix the weather for filming?

Chris N.

callum91
14th Jul 2009, 18:59
What is the METAR\TAF code for a twister anyway ?

FC - Funnel Cloud

I think +FC would be tornado

The audio for the ATC is taken from a recording of Continental airlines flight (not a Cessna) but apart from that it's good.

ECAM_Actions
14th Jul 2009, 19:00
Uhhmmm.... :eek:

ECAM Actions.

Pace
14th Jul 2009, 19:07
Is it possible that a few knots of higher airspeed could have overcome this and that the pilot possibly didn't pay enough attention to the ASI?

It is important in windshear to check the ASI fluctuations and to carry plenty of speed. In a light aircraft like this and a long runway speed is your saviour and planting it down on landing is too.

If it was me I think i would have held off in clear air close to the airport, taken regular wind updates from ATC and kept an eye on the cloud mass movement and rain shafts.

The film was a good production made to demonstrate a situation and cut just before landing or going around to hint at a subsequent crash.

Pace

Sir George Cayley
14th Jul 2009, 19:42
Not wishing to detract from the core safety message, but..

The editor has spliced together shots taken from the tail of a Cessna (182 I think) with cockpit video from a not Cessna. I think it might be an Aeroprakt Foxbat. Either could run out of fuel as suggested by the images though.

I learn't my lesson in the 90s flying between cells on a summers day and actually hearing the crack of lightning as it passed me canopy. ILAFFT.

Sir George Cayley

Deeday
14th Jul 2009, 21:08
It's clearly a montage, but very well produced and quite instructive. I would land with no flaps and as fast as safely possible (if landing there were the only option left).

B2N2
15th Jul 2009, 20:08
The audio for the ATC is taken from a recording of Continental airlines flight (not a Cessna) but apart from that it's good.

Incorrect, they say "Cardinal" as in Cessna 177 not Continental.
Clue; the 177 doesn't have struts.

callum91
16th Jul 2009, 08:12
Incorrect, they say "Cardinal" as in Cessna 177 not Continental.
Clue; the 177 doesn't have struts.

Oh yes I see, now I've listened to it again - I'm not very good at foreign languages :ok:

SlipSlider
16th Jul 2009, 09:38
and the 177 Cardinal does have an offset panel arrangement that is not the standard Cessna layout. Maybe that's where Aeroprakt got the idea from ??? ;)

subsonicsubic
16th Jul 2009, 20:29
Familiar View

I have seen this before. I made the same decision and landed and (luckily)saved myself and the poor soul sat beside me.

I will not do so again. If fuel is available, divert or hold. Summer storms are gone quickly. "get home itus" is a bad syndrome that accompanies poor weather. The worse the weather, the stronger the desire to be on the ground.

Fight this with common sense and fuel management.

Clear skies and strong tailwinds.:ok:

Fly-by-Wife
16th Jul 2009, 21:26
Clear skies and strong tailwinds*

Except when landing or taking off! ;)

FBW

Whirlygig
16th Jul 2009, 22:02
No, I like a clear sky at any time :}

Cheers

Whirls

gfunc
17th Jul 2009, 06:59
Take out the bad weather (and crash) and that final approach could have been one of mine! :}

Gareth.

Squeegee Longtail
18th Jul 2009, 19:27
...it was an ILS approach, so therefore an IFR flight. He should have fuel planned for a diversion, unless this WAS his diversion field, in which case his primary must have been REALLY bad, in which case why was he out flying at all that day? So many emotions in that situation, the most overpowering urge is to land, BUT NOT UNDER A THUNDERSTORM FFS!! The downdraft at the end is the reason why not.