PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructor - PPL holder what are the requirements?

seghei
14th Jul 2009, 13:54
Hello everyone,

I am sorry if this question has alsready been raised before - but what are the requirements to get an Flight Instructor rating for a JAR-PPL holder? i.e. how many hours/additional trainings,..etc
What EASA/JAR documents do describe these requirements?

Thank you for consideration,
Serghei

tropicalfridge
15th Jul 2009, 09:01
It has been raised before if you use the search above.

To be paid you need a CPL, an FI rating and the CPL theory exams. You can work without pay on a PPL with CPL theory & an FI rating.

The terrible situation in the airline industry has prompted many to become instructors while waiting for the airlines to recruit again, meaning there are now few instructor jobs in Europe and North America. Unless you are thinking long term, secure the job before you start the FI course.

seghei
15th Jul 2009, 13:01
Thank you for the comment, tropicalfridge.
The question evolved from an opportunity to become instructor at the flight school I am currently in. I hold PPL, SEP rating and 50 flight hours. Have just passed ATPL ground studies and the 14 exams. Will start my flight practice with a DA-42 soon - in the mean time there appeared this whole thing with the PPLs with FI ratings - which is a good point for me for hours building (not to be paid) - not as a long term career so far, although if after getting my CPL(a)/ME/IR there will still be a chance to upgrade my instructor rating to ME/IR that will be a good start for an aviation career in my eyes.
The question still is - how many hours do I need to be eligible for the FI rating?

AlphaMale
15th Jul 2009, 17:49
200 hours flight time with at least 100 hours PIC (if holding a CPL) or 150 hours PIC (if holding a PPL).

Minimum of 10 hours instruction for instrument flying but have accrued no more than 5 hours in a ground-training device such as simulator.

Have met all of the CPL or ATPL knowledge requirements as listed by JAR FCL 1.470.

Minimum of 30 hours flight time on a SEP aircraft with a minimum of 5 hours in the 6 months up to the start of the course.

20 hours cross-country flight time as PIC including a flight of at least 300 nm (which must of included at least two full-stop landings at two aerodromes other than where you started).

seghei
16th Jul 2009, 09:57
Thank you for your reply AlphaMale - the requirements are fair, to my point, but in the same time making no sense to have a PPL with 200 hours - with so many hours I plan to be having at least a CPL(a)/ME/IR (with the 14 ATPL exams already behind my back).
Thank you for your input to this thread.