PDA

View Full Version : Minimum age for flying unaccompanied

Beagle-eye
14th Jul 2009, 08:24
My son will be 16 in August and is keen to travel to London (to stay with an Aunt) with a couple of his mates. Problem is that one of his mates is still only 15.

Can anybody tell me if it is permissible :

a) for 16 year old to fly unaccompanied (I assume yes)
b) for a 15 year old to fly accompanied by a 16 year old (I don't know)

I am assuming that they will fly BA to LHR but, if cost is prohibitive, they may choose a LoCo to Luton or Gatwick.

Thanks

B-E

amanoffewwords
14th Jul 2009, 08:58
Seek and ye shall find:

From the BA site (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/childinfo/public/en_gb):

- On British Airways flights, children under the age of 12 years must be accompanied by a person of 16 years of age or above.

- The person accompanying the child can be a family member, guardian or other appointed person.

- Otherwise the child must be registered with our Skyflyer Solo service or we will be unable to accept them for travel.

So, probably, yes.

Beagle-eye
14th Jul 2009, 09:03
I looked at the BA website last night but could't find any info. Should have looked harder :(

Many thanks :ok:

B-E

Capetonian
15th Jul 2009, 08:13
All carriers have their own regulations, and you were wise to check as I recently tried to send my son (aged just over 14) with a friend (aged just under 14) on a short haul European flight. One carrier's site indicated that this would not be acceptable as the 13 year old had to be accompanied by an 'adult' over 16, whilst the other said it was fine.