PDA

View Full Version : Music streaming problem with Ethernet over mains to WiFi access point

The late XV105
13th Jul 2009, 20:11
As some PPRuNers may recall, I set up an Ethernet over mains connection from BT Home Hub v1 to a Netgear DG834G v1 that I had knocking around in a drawer. This was to allow the latter to be used as a wireless access point covering the garden.

It has proven to work, but with an odd problem that irritates; this is that the cheapy-cheap Vistron MX-200i WiFi internet radio that I have installed in the shed drops out and rebuffers quite frequently despite 77-93% signal strength according to the in built display. This happens not only on internet radio streaming but also just the same when UPnP streaming music via WMP11 on my home media server (XP SP2 MCE 2005).

Oddly, the same Ethernet over mains from Home Hub to DG834G WiFi access point happily supports streaming BBC iPlayer to either of our laptops all day long if I so wish, without interruption.

If I attach the internet radio to an extension lead to allow me to move it a few metres from the shed, it can then just pick up a weak Home Hub signal (10-15%) yet then streams both UPnP content and the same radio stations as before with rock steady consistency.

The problem appears to be specific to music streaming and something introduced with the Ethernet over mains connection or with this itself.

I have tried every possible packet prioritization option for the homeplugs (Netgear HDX101) and every wifi channel to no avail.

WPA-PSK is being used.

Other ideas, please?

Cheers,
XV105

Mike-Bracknell
13th Jul 2009, 22:54
Sounds like a wifi chipset specific compatibility issue to me between the Vistron and the DG834Gv1.

Some wifi devices like some wifi chipsets, some like others. Looks like your Vistron doesn't like Ti chipsets.

Keef
13th Jul 2009, 22:55
It sounds to me as if the mains device can't handle the bandwidth for streaming audio.

Have you run a speedtest from a PC connected via wireless to the DG834, and compared that with the "non-mains-borne"?

Mike-Bracknell
13th Jul 2009, 22:57
It sounds to me as if the mains device can't handle the bandwidth for streaming audio

Streaming video to the laptops should be a higher bandwidth than that.

My XE104s here handle streaming video at up to 900kbit/s, which should be way in excess of internet radio.

The late XV105
14th Jul 2009, 00:07
Thanks, Mike. Perhaps you are right; something not written before is that my other internet radio, an Acoustic Energy one, works absolutely perfectly on either wireless access point. Before someone suggests the obvious, it's too nice to be swapped with the MX200i and consigned to the shed :)

I agree with you too on the bandwidth; as written the HDX101s happily stream iPlayer video without interruption. Even lowly 28kbps radio stations get interrupted on the other hand. Running the supplied configuration utility confirms I am getting an average (across five tests in half an hour) of 160Mbps Tx and 107Mbps Rx for the remote HDX101 adaptor (of course the local one connected to home hub Ethernet port shows the maximum rated value of 200Mbps for both Tx and RX)

The late XV105
14th Jul 2009, 00:33
On a whim, I just took the MX200i casing apart and found to my absolute amazement that the antenna is a USB dongle jobbie! In theory therefore, by making a slit in the rear of the case and employing a shielded 1m USB cable that I already have spare, I can try using a directional USB antenna to pick up the Home Hub signal which it won't quite do properly at the moment (0-5%).

Recommendations for a low cost, directional, USB, 802.11x antenna available in UK?

TVM.

Edited later: It's getting late and I forgot the small matter of drivers. A free thing for me to test though is simply to move the current antenna outside the case and in various locations.

Bushfiva
14th Jul 2009, 00:46
Google shows people accuse the dongle of indifferent performance. There's a site listing compatible dongles.

The late XV105
14th Jul 2009, 00:49
Thanks Bushfiva!

Got it (http://logikir100.tripod.com/Logik.htm#USB Wireless Dongle).

I just read your post after my edit.

Bushfiva
14th Jul 2009, 01:01
You could just put the dongle on the end of your USB cable to get the dongle outside the case, and see if reception automagically improves. You're then also 90% of the way to a directional antenna if you think you need one: you can test by using a colander or similar behind the dongle as a reflector. If it is a signal issue, you don't need perfection, you just need a little bit better.

The late XV105
14th Jul 2009, 01:11
Yes, (without the colander idea!) per the edit I added to my post a few back up the thread. Thanks very much anyway, and I'll report back when done (may be a couple of days).

Time for some kip now!

The late XV105
14th Jul 2009, 11:28
Well, whaddya know?
Success!

I unexpectedly had some spare time so put it to good use as follows:

Rather than use the shielded USB cable that I had in mind I pressed a previously redundant Belkin USB external antenna cable and mount in to service together with the previously internal original MX200i antenna. I did this because the length was the same as the heavily shielded cable but it has the advantage of stand alone vertical mounting if I needed it (and if not, simply unclip the base from the USB connector and use horizontally).

Here's what it looks like inside the case:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/mach1point02/IMG_6940.jpg

I routed the external cable through an existing hole in the case for those models with ethernet connectivity that mine doesn't have. The hole was previously covered by the black sticker to the left of the case. I will now plug it with a rectanular rubber grommet that I have in my "box of bits".

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/mach1point02/IMG_6941.jpg

Finally, here's what the antenna now looks like.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/mach1point02/IMG_6944.jpg

Simply moving the antenna externally from the case made an average 5% signal improvement from multiple tests when I taped it without the base to the back of the MX200i. Mounting it vertically and being able to chose location added another 10-15%, so 15-20% in all. All this was in my home office. When I took it out to the shed though I was in for a shock... What was previously a weak 10-15% connection (and sometimes 0%) to the Home Hub was now 55-65%, largely depending on where I was stood. If I walked as far away as I could still read the WiFi strength through the open shed door the signal was still 40-55%. Absolutely no disconnections or rebuffers either, whereas switching to the alternative WLAN gave three in the first five minutes despite now having 85-95% signal strength courtesy of the antenna modification.

So, problem solved, at zero additional expense, and I will now tidily encase the antenna in polyethylene as well as plug the hole as mentioned.

Happy camper :)

Great minds think alike, thanks, Bushfiva.

Bushfiva
14th Jul 2009, 12:02
That's a quite remarkably pink product.

The late XV105
14th Jul 2009, 12:14
That's a quite remarkably pink product.

And now discontinued, ours being from run-out stock! Originally eBuyer were knocking out this and a white version for bargain notes, but, funnily enough, whilst the white ones were snaffled up in an instant they were left with a mountain of pink jobs! Thankfully, sat in the shed, being pink doesn't matter, and actually it kinda suits it's garden location anyway!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/mach1point02/IMG_6947.jpg

Saab Dastard
14th Jul 2009, 15:10
Whatever next? Pink headsets?

On second thoughts, let's not go there...:uhoh:

SD

green granite
14th Jul 2009, 15:41
Whatever next? Pink headsets?

On second thoughts, let's not go there...

A certain dragon lady might though :)

Ancient Observer
14th Jul 2009, 18:03
Just a quick note in defence of Homeplug arrangements. Sorry I didn't read this earlier - I might have helped. My homeplugs work from a netgear whatever v2. Quite capable of sending 4OD, i-player and all that stuff around the house. I've not tried anything like 1080p, as that is beyond my skills, but you weren't asking that question.
So, in response to Keef's concern about the mains device - it is great!

The late XV105
9th Aug 2009, 12:57
I purchased a BT HomeHub v1.5 for a tenner from ebay. It's running the same firmware as the v1 (6.2.6.E) that is my broadband router / DHCP server / primary access point and as expected the problem is now solved; when connected to it the MX200i has had not a single loss of connectivity from any internet radio station or when streaming from the media server. My trusty DG834G v1 is now back in the drawer waiting for another occasion that requires it be dusted off.

For the record, Ancient Observer to respond to your comment elsewhere; despite the intensely pink product it's connected to, the antenna remains outside the MX200i case per my modification because testing with the V1.5 HomeHub showed it's worth another 15% wireless reception strength. It's modesty is protected however because it's now entombed inside a child's thin plastic sweetcorn cob that (a) protects it and (b) seemed kinda appropriate for it living in a shed! :)