PDA

View Full Version : JAA Qualified want to work in USA as FI?

MAXTHRUSTV1
13th Jul 2009, 12:14
Hi,

Im looking to do my JAA FI(R) rating at one of the JAA schools in florida. I know their is no jobs over here hence the reason for doing it there. Im a UK citizen and have no FAA licences its all JAA so is it possible to work over in the USA as the school has said they are recruiting FI'S that complete the course but i dont know if they are just saying that for my money!

If anyone could let me know if they have done anyting similar and if its possible i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

MAX

B2N2
13th Jul 2009, 13:38
Interesting but a little more complicated then you might think.
All of the JAA schools in the US do their training on N-registered aircraft in US airspace. This means the aircraft should be insured; I am curious as to the opinion of a US insurance company concerning flight training taking place by a non-US certificated Instructor.

A JAA PPL student in the US is a bit of a hybrid.
In order to solo they need a US Medical and student pilot certificate.
So for their solo they need a US certificated instructor signing their medical and logbook.
For every solo XC they need a US certificated instructor signing their logbook endorsement.
There is another problem, in order to be PIC of a N-registered aircraft you need to have a US certificate.
Your primary student can not be PIC since they don't know how to fly yet and on a student pilot certificate they cannot carry passengers. Which is what you will be in the eyes of the FAA because you do not hold a US instructor certificate. So how are you going to fly with a primary student?
You could only train a JAA CPL applicant that holds a US PPL. They are PIC and you are a passenger training them. But this is where the insurance company comes in if something happens. It doesn't even have to be anybodies fault in particular, you could blow a tire on landing and end up in a ditch with a bent aircraft.
I would get my US certificates if I were you.

Mordacai
13th Jul 2009, 15:41
Very good post from B2N2.

No matter what anyone tells you, if you instruct in the USA in an N reg aircraft you are on very thin ice without a CFI certificate.

You most certainly cannot send anyone solo.

It's been debated for years, but bottom line in my opinion is if you wanna work in the USA as a flight instructor training JAA pilots, you better get JAA/FAA qualtified. Believe me you don't want to fall fowl of the FAA.

Regards

sapperkenno
14th Jul 2009, 02:59
The only concern I would have, would be the immigration side of things and getting yourself the legal rights to work here. Chances of getting work authorization are slim to none, as you would need to prove that there are no suitable US citizens to do the job etc. I have first hand experience of not being able to immigrate here (yet... I'm a UK citizen) as simply put, there isn't a workable visa option. All this I found out after becoming qualified as a CFI/II, AND having a willing sponsor in the form of a well established flight school here in Arizona. We consulted numerous attorneys, but they all said we were wasting our time (in a polite way!). I thought it would be plain sailing, but sadly, it isn't.

So, I'd say your main hurdle is getting the legalities of studying/working here sorted first... then worry about what you can and can't do as an FAA/CAA instructor.

If the school were to hire you, and you were considering immigration, the wait would be in the region of 3-5 years from now (from your filing date) until you could work.

As far as non-immigrant visas go... there may be ways to wangle a seasonal worker visa, but again not very likely. The only stories I've heard of people working here post training, as instructors, were unpaid (a requirement of their F1 visas) and there was a strict limit to the amount of time they could work.

You may have a good case by also being a JAA instructor, but again, USCIS would need to look at your individual case, and with the help of a competent attorney, you might be in with a chance. If you have 12 years of experience as an instructor, things would look more promising.

Hopefully you're aware of all this, but if not, you need to get up to speed on immigration law and suitable visas before you do anything else.

All the best with it, and if you hear any promising news re; work visas, please let us all know.

MartinCh
14th Jul 2009, 03:40
The only stories I've heard of people working here post training, as instructors, were unpaid (a requirement of their F1 visas) and there was a strict limit to the amount of time they could work.
That's strange. Why would anyone work for free on F1? Sorting on-campus (and yes, FTO would be on-campus for aviation training that includes flying somewhere with affiliated school) student work authorisation - up to 20hr/wk during term, 35 summer hols. Even off-campus work is still possible, but should be backed by financial hardship yada yada and specifically authorised. Casual PT jobs are to pay bills/rent/drinks. Even if we talk about OPT post-F1, why should it be free work? Yes, some paperwork required, but..

As for JAA planks instructing, NAC advertise for unrestricted JAA instructors who'd also do ME training, FAA certs desired, think 200h dual given or something in that line. As JAA school, they'd sort H1 for you. You can look hard on PPRuNe and you'd find some past threads/posts.
So, definitely not a starter job, even for experienced past PPL pilot, since the dual given requirement, obviously.

As for the F1 route, if you don't have FAA CPL/IR/CFI/CFII, you won't get much credit for aviation associate degrees with some community colleges. Although these could be 2 years, USD 10k+ for tuition (total, if RPL OK) and living cost proof of funding etc. Why would FW pilot go through that only to instruct in the USA? Although FAA CPL wouldn't be too much hassle and you should get some credit towards CFI/I if you'd have done JAA FI.

As for H2 visa, it's for seasonal, mostly agricultural or hospitality/catering jobs. It doesn't come free either.

sapperkenno
14th Jul 2009, 04:34
The people I've heard of were mostly rotary wing guys (if that makes a difference), and this was unpaid work... the thing that made it appealing to those who took the jobs were the "free" hours. So they weren't getting a wage... but got some flying/experience that didn't cost them anymore $$$. Such schools would be only too happy to hire you for a while after you're done training... the school saves money, and has a fresh supply of free instructors every couple of months... and poor naive Mr/Mrs CFI, desperate for their first job takes the harsh terms/conditions, as they have no other option being on a student visa, and are committed to that school. I believe the F-1 visa is on it's way out now though.

I'm interested to know more about the H-1 option, especially w/out having a degree or 12 years work experience... if anyone knows anything further? I know for a fact, that there was a gentleman who was the chief flight instructor for a school at Goodyear, AZ... and he was able to work for a year in Europe with the same company, then come here to the US on an L-1 (inter-company transferee?!) visa, with the added bonus of that being a "dual intent" visa. (I don't know if 30+ years experience helped in any way!?)

Apologies to MAXTHRUST for hijacking your thread. Hope this is of some use! What exactly is this "JAA school in FL" offering you?? What strings can they pull as far as the visa stuff goes??