PDA

View Full Version : Cholmondeley Pageant of Power 2009

JTobias
12th Jul 2009, 08:32
People

Anyone going to the CPOP (http://www.cpop.co.uk) this year?
It's a bit like the Goodwood Festival of Speed but with helicopters. I've heard that they're expecting about 130 choppers in throughout the weekend and it's free to all pilots and passengers who fly in.

If anyone is going and wants to meet up let me know.

Joel:ok:

kevin_mayes
13th Jul 2009, 07:26
JT
Have applied for the details but have not received them yet, just an email confirming that they will be sent out... Hope to take the 47 there after our trip to Skye this week.
Kevin.

toptobottom
13th Jul 2009, 08:33
Have just completed the app form. What day are you going Joel?

Rotormaniac
13th Jul 2009, 09:25
Hi Guys

Yep i'll be there not sure which day... mets look better for Sunday on the long range... i'll be taking a 206, still waiting for the freq / joining instructions to come through from John, will shout when they get here...

Cheers

N

Whirlybird
13th Jul 2009, 10:54
I may be going, probably on Saturday; not sure if flying or driving. Who wants to meet up?

JTobias
13th Jul 2009, 14:57
Hi All,

I'm going Saturday and Sunday (probably)
If anyone wants to meet up, PM me and I will fire my mobile number back to you.:ok:

Joel

Rotormaniac
14th Jul 2009, 08:24
Same here, just PM your moby if you want to meet up... be great putting faces to names etc etc

206 jock
15th Jul 2009, 15:25
Will be there Sunday wx permitting, white 206 again.

Managed to spot the helo pilots last year at lunch: don't look like car or boat drivers and all wearing Breitlings...

Reminds me of a joke. How do you know if a helicopter pilot is in the room?

toptobottom
15th Jul 2009, 15:51
Guys

There are now 4 or 5 of us planning to meet up on Sunday (Wx permitting).

Would it make sense to meet somewhere specific at a certain time? I haven't been before, so not sure where would be a good venue. Any suggestions? we can all hold our Breitlings in the air so we will recognise each other :-)

206 Jock - can you PM me your contact details? I owe you for the arranging landing in Letchworth...

TTB

JTobias
15th Jul 2009, 19:41
Sounds good to me.
Any suggestions ?

Joel

toptobottom
15th Jul 2009, 20:04
If you click here (http://www.cpop.co.uk/files/circuit150709.pdf) it looks like there's an information point between the Trade Stand 'A' and the Pageant Bar :ok:

Shall we arrange to meet at that Info point at 11:30 sharp?

JTobias
15th Jul 2009, 22:09
Sounds good to me.

I might be flying some celebrities in at the request of the organisers and that might make me late.

If anyone wants to meet me, PM me and I'll send my mobile number back.

Ta:ok:

Rotormaniac
16th Jul 2009, 07:07
11:30 it is... :ok:

Rotormaniac
16th Jul 2009, 07:50
Mets are cheering up for Sat now too... if this does happen i'll be going both days :ok:

md 600 driver
16th Jul 2009, 17:38
i am going on saturday wx alowing i will be in a camo gazelle

see you there whirly

jellycopter
16th Jul 2009, 21:28
I'll be there both days; flyin' a black and yellow Squirrel.

JJ

ShyTorque
17th Jul 2009, 08:07
Now NOTAM'd and an R.A.T. put in place. Looks like the Red Arrows aren't going.

Q) EGTT/QRTCA/IV/BO/W/000/065/5303N00241W003

E) RESTRICTED AREA (TEMPORARY) AT CHOLMONDELEY AIC M 050/2009 REFERS.
RESTRICTION OF FLYING REGULATIONS MADE UNDER ARTICLE 96 OF THE AIR
NAVIGATION ORDER 2005 (MIL ACFT SHOULD COMPLY WITH JSP552
201.135.9). NO ACFT IS TO FLY WI AREA BOUNDED BY CIRCLE RADIUS 2.5NM
CENTRED AT 530323N 0024048W (CHOLMONDELEY CASTLE, CHESHIRE) EXCEPT
ACFT FLYING WITH PRIOR PERMISSION OF CHOLMONDELEY CASTLE FLYING
DISPLAY DIRECTOR. THIS NOTAM AMENDS AIC M050/2009, UPPER LIMIT OF
6300FT AMSL PLANNED FOR 18 AND 19 JULY IS CANCELLED.
AUS 09-07-0068/AS7

LOWER: SFC
UPPER: 2300FT AMSL
SCHEDULE: 0800-1700

Mike Bathurst
17th Jul 2009, 08:11
Flew down there yesterday (supposedly to 'scope' out the landing site but really just 'any excuse') and it looks like a great set up. I am down there on Sunday in a dark blue Enstrom 480 (which will be well known to Joel) - will keep an eye open for heli-types.

VeeAny
17th Jul 2009, 08:49
You can see the notam with a map here

Griffin Helicopters | Notams and Airspace Restrictions (http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/restrictions.asp?notamid=J4057/09)

Occasionally you get Object Required returned if its busy, just hit refresh. This is a bug in the old version of the site, the new one doesn't have it, but isn't ready yet.

And a Link to the AIC also.

The link will expire after the Notam does.

Rotormaniac
17th Jul 2009, 09:03
I'll be in a blue 206 (if I can get her started)... dodgy start / gen bushes arghhhhh... I only live 10 miles from the event and the wx is pants at the minute... due to break overnite so fingers crossed..... had a couple of Merlins go over this morn, scud running 250 ft max... excellent..

Anyway i'm hoping to go both days but depends on wx... fingers crossed. I don't have a breitling, can I wave my tissot (no pun intended) :)

Neil

Hughes500
17th Jul 2009, 09:34
MD600
Was that a typo, camp or camo gazelle ?

Clitheroe Kid
17th Jul 2009, 10:12
I'm planning to arrive about 10:00 in an Enstrom 480.

Nearly There
17th Jul 2009, 10:30
Anyone any spare seats for Sunday, one way only ( I have a lift back), leaving from Wirral/Chester/Liverpool area.... well if you dont ask:O

ps my brother is the live in caretaker at the Castle, would be nice to drop in in style to say hello!

John R81
17th Jul 2009, 11:19
I will be coming Sunday, blue EC120 G-FEDA. Being "new" I would very much like to meet a few people.

John

Rotormaniac
17th Jul 2009, 11:25
Nice machine John... :ok:

Whirlybird
17th Jul 2009, 12:03
What about the Saturday contingent meeting up - same time, same place, ie the info point between Trade Stand A and the Pageant Bar at 11.30am on Saturday. My mobile number is 07813 651722...I don't suppose anything too awful will happen if I tell the whole world. I haven't met a group of prooners for ages, since I'm not on here much these days - it'll be nice to put some faces to names. I'm now driving there - no helicopter available. :{

md 600 driver
17th Jul 2009, 17:01
wx not good enough sat i am not going now whirly will speak to you later off on hols for 3 weeks

Whirlybird
18th Jul 2009, 20:35
What happened to the Saturday meeting then? Where were you all? Clitheroe Kid gave me a lift in his Enstrom 480 along with friend Darren, who isn't yet a PPRuNer but has now been told all about it, and we waited to see who else showed up at the info point...but in vain. Maybe you're all going tomorrow instead.

Anyway, it was a good day out, and thanks for the ride Clitheroe Kid, and JTobias, it was good to meet you, albeit briefly.

If anyone else was there....I don't know who you were.

toptobottom
19th Jul 2009, 15:54
And what happened to the Sunday contingent?!! I was at the venue exactly on time, but 15 minutes later and after embarassing myself by pouncing on several unsuspecting potential Prooners, still nobody else had turned up :confused:. Even John 81, whom I followed into the LZ and landed next to, and who had specifically asked to meet up - didn't show (even after I left a message on his mobile). Nowt as queer as folk...

Anyhoo, it was a good day despite the weather, lack of Red Arrows and bizarre social behaviour of my fellow pilots. Will def go again next year (much better than the Festival of Speed) but please - don't arrange to meet up! :ok:

TTB

Jarvy
19th Jul 2009, 16:39
Just noticed JTOBIAS flying in some celebrities on a PPL(H), hmmmmmm.

feathering tickles
19th Jul 2009, 16:59
Jarvy, why "hmmmm"?

206 jock
19th Jul 2009, 17:06
Toptobottom,

I was too late in, arrived about 11.40. Didn't have your number!

Weather was a bit poo. We high tailed it after that dump of rain (thoroughly soaked through...feet still wet now!), shame as we didn't see many cars go as there was none running over lunch, then they shut the track when it siled it down with rain.

Lots of mud this year.

The celebrities....who were they all? Lots of tottering about on high heels going on, must have been funny watching them after the rain.

A few dodgy departures were witnessed.....:}

Jarvy
19th Jul 2009, 17:09
Perhaps I should have just put a question mark.
Celebrities at the request of the organisers, grey area?

jellycopter
19th Jul 2009, 17:32
Jarvy

No grey area. It's quite black and white actually. If he was offering his services and machine without payment - which he was - then it's a Private Flight. Full Stop!

Some people just love flying, like Joel. Others just like trying to **** stir.......

JJ:ugh:

jellycopter
19th Jul 2009, 17:36
206 Jock

I too witnessed a particularly dodgy departure. I'll be having a chat with the pilot on the QT to try to point out the potential errors of his ways.

JJ

feathering tickles
19th Jul 2009, 17:54
Quite so JJ (18:32).

Jarvy, if you want to call in to question someone's reputation or suggest some illegal act then I think you should be very sure of your facts.

In short, put up or shut up.

jellycopter
19th Jul 2009, 18:29
FT

Thanks for your support.

Jarvy,

Joel Tobias and I don't hide behind the anonimity of these forums. Perhaps, if you've got something you'd really like to share, try starting with your real identity. On the other hand, it's a small island, and an even smaller helicopter community; I think you'd be well advised to keep your identity to yourself!

John Jackson

toptobottom
19th Jul 2009, 18:30
A few dodgy departures were witnessed.....

I missed them - do tell!!

206 jock - I have your moby. Will ping you shortly to arrange meet.

TTB

JTobias
19th Jul 2009, 18:46
Boys and Girls,

Happy to confirm that I, and another pilot who shared the flying in my machine, have just completed quite a few hours flying celebrities in and out of CPOP. In actual fact the trips were undertaken by three helicopters, all privateley owned and all done as a favour to the organisers.

No money, no free this or that, no free anything.
We do it because we love flying helicopters.

JJ and others , thanks for your support.

Watch my blog for the report!:ok:

Joel
(which is my real name too!!);)

rotorspin
19th Jul 2009, 19:41
Good on you Joel!

Only wish I could have added to that fleet of private flyers this weekend, hopefully my machine will be out of annual next week!

Speak soon

John

JTobias
19th Jul 2009, 19:44
Yo JP,

You were missed!!!
Could have done with your help!

Joel:ok:

biggles99
19th Jul 2009, 19:52
It's a point well made:

some of do it because we love it, not because it is our job.

Often, we need a mission, and the Pagent is a perfect example.

For my next mission, I'll be heading off to the German Helicopter Championships at the end of August. Anyone want to join me?

I for one know how privileged I am to be able to fly anything, let alone a helicopter.

By taking people flying, we are letting others share in our passion.

And it is inevitable that this will engender good feelings from non-flyers and flyers alike, and SOME of these guys will end up learning themselves.

Just like that short bloke on Top Gear is doing right now.

More work for those who teach flying helicopters for a living, therefore. The Hampster is no threat to the CPL(H)-ers in the UK - he just wants to learn to fly and buy a helicopter.

Which, surely, is a GOOD THING for the industry as a whole, and not something to be bitchy, jealous, suspicious and devisive about.

Big Ls,

JTobias
19th Jul 2009, 19:57
Thanks Biggles

Support much appreciated.

Joel :ok:

misterbonkers
19th Jul 2009, 20:53
here here!

Jarvy
19th Jul 2009, 21:21
OK you have told me the facts and I will say sorry. As for my real name I am know as Jarvy and plenty on here know of me. It even says Jarvy on my car reg.
Jarvy

jellycopter
19th Jul 2009, 21:24
Jarvy

Fair enough.

Rant over!

Normal service resumes.

JJ

JTobias
19th Jul 2009, 21:51
Jarvy,

No harm done.
Very admirable that you've apologised.
Thanks and Regards,

Joel :ok:

Mike Bathurst
19th Jul 2009, 23:08
Had a great day at CPOP with my son and bravo to all heli pilots who attended. Just a quick thanks to the ATC guys - very cool service at a busy event.

Whirlybird
20th Jul 2009, 07:46
My one gripe is about the arrangements - or rather, lack of them - for heli arrivals to cross the track to get to the rest of the show. 20 minute wait till there's no cars, oh come on now! If you want us to fly in, organise something better than that.

Nearly There
20th Jul 2009, 09:35
20 minute wait till there's no cars,Hardly a lifetime Whirlybird! it was the same at all the track crossing points....
So who where the celebs, I must have been walking around with my eyes shut as I saw none (apart from Angelica Housten, but she was staying in the Castle)....and I had a pass for all areas!

It was a good day though.

JTobias
20th Jul 2009, 10:17
I agree with WhirlyBird that waiting 20 mins to cross the track was a bit of a pain. I guess they know that now though. I'm in touch with the organisers so I'll let them know.

I've put a small report regarding the celebs on my blog www.jetbox.wordpress.com (http://www.jetbox.wordpress.com) but don't get over excited as there was no one madly special. Very, very pretty but that's about it.

They based themselves in the VIP marquee and never moved from there afterwards. They were all dressed in party frocks though and given the weather I'm not sure I can blame them.

Joel

1helicopterppl
20th Jul 2009, 10:46
Joel,

thanks for starting the post, we did manage to attend flying from EGBW.

considering the weather it was a good day although I noticed most heli visitors were 'locals'.
were you flying your J/R yourself ? if so that was one scary 'lift' near the trees.......
our flight 'home' was a big learning curve for me dodging some huge weather fronts, all in all though a very enjoyable day & we did not get wet !

some pics posted; graemelovell.fotopic.net

1helicopterppl
20th Jul 2009, 10:50
Dear Whirlybird,

I thought the arrangements were pretty good....especially the event privileges afforded heli visitors......

my 'gripe' would have been lack of windsock......

JTobias
20th Jul 2009, 11:41
Hi Helicopterppl

I shared the flying with a pal of mine throughout the day, but the "scary lift" was mine. I regret it's not my usual standard or style but ATC advised me that there was an R44 immediately behind me so I chose to lift and transition away, only for them to remind me that I shouldn't overfly to the West.

I chose to turn away and from the area and it left me flying towards the tress. I knew they were there and I was light with plenty of power but it didn't look good and I'm not happy about it. In hindsight I should have continued because I would still have been clear of the area or waited and used the FATO.

I've been chastised already by my very good friend and instructor ( I do oodles of continuation training) who watched from the ground and bollocked me.

Sorry chaps, it won't happen again.

Joel

John R81
20th Jul 2009, 13:53
Toptobottom

I too was at the information stand at 11:30. Wearing yellow dayglow jacket - and asking strangers if they were PPruners!!!

Got your 'phone message on the way home - absolutely no coverage for Vodafone at that site. I did try to call you at 11:35.

I didn't realise that you followed me in - we could have said "helo" during the 20minute wait to cross the circuit. When I returned to my machine you had clearly left.

As for future "arrange to meet" - may need either (1) mobile telpehone coverage or (2) a pink carnation (or signboard!)

Still, I had a good day with family at the site. Weather was poor on the return, needed a little detour around a heavy shower. That aside, I may come next year.

John (my real name also)

kneedwondean
20th Jul 2009, 15:05
I was flying one of the Pleasure flying aircraft and our only problem was from the waiting to cross the track. I know its not long to have to wait 20minutes but it was sometimes longer than that and trying to get punters across was a nightmare, and they seemed to close it without warning at the worst possible moments. Give us a bridge next year and it would be perfect! The FISO's did a great job though, well run and helped us a great deal. Witnessed some good piloting from visiting aircraft, everyone being very helpful to us. Only one go around all weekend cant be bad.

All together a nice event, although I nearly had a mid air with some ParaMotor guy who had no radio and decided to take off from the heli parking area then change his mind and come back over the FATO to land again. I was on finals and looked at him, he looked at me and I had to dump the lever to get under him. He quickly bundled up his parachute and scuttled off before I could shout at him!

I saw that "interesting" departure from the flightline, but it probably looked worse than it was from my angle and fair enough to Joel to hold his hands up. As he mentioned, the aircraft was very light so plenty of power to get over the trees, not so sure about chances of getting it down if it all went quiet though.

This really brings me to a recurring theme - how I was suprised at the number of pilots who are happy to depart straight over the trees rather than back track the FATO. For the sake of a 30second back track to give yourself a chance of making a safe landing I really cant understand why anyone would feel comfortable being 30 ft up, over trees slow with max power pulled.

Anyway, an enjoyable event and hope to be back next year.

Rotormaniac
20th Jul 2009, 18:57
I got in at 11:30 ish... think you came in after me 206 jock.. I mite have been the blue 206 on your left shutting down as you dropped in ? Crappy weather but not as bad as yesterday trying to lift back to Shobdon... with no starter / gen !! side panels up in the rain with a hammer :-) and me convincing pax all's ok !!

Not a bad day, shame we didn't get chance to meet up but sure there will be plenty more...

Cheers

R

sweatshop
21st Jul 2009, 21:10
Thanks for all the messages of support guys and all the advice! Afraid my 3m brand new windsock on a 4.5m pole was 'disappeared' on Friday night by (I suspect) the light-fingered kids from the fairground motorhomes. I had to chase them off as they unplugged the generator for the ATC on Friday evening.
You're right about the bridge -the petrol heads don't want anything to interfere with their racing but I think we'll have to get a bridge or a crossing after every race class instead of every 2 classes.
We also need a set of portaloos -I felt very sorry for the ATC.
Finally a decent check in procedure -but those plans went out of the window when I found there were no marshals on the long straight and I was left having to run up and down the straw bales stopping some insane behaviour from the non-airside folks who couldn't get close enough to the Veyrons. Fortunately the organisers eventually saw what was happening and sent some dayglo chaps down to the crossing.
The award for services beyond the call of duty goes to the obvious guys mentioned in this thread who choppered in the 'celebs'. Cholmondeley will spend many years trying to repay them. Full VVIP for the rest of time I guess.
Whatever went well was because of the great teamwork, whatever didn't.. I guess I'll put my hands up.
Now that's all over I can get back to the day job and start earning again!