PDA

View Full Version : UK to Belgium anyone?

toptobottom
11th Jul 2009, 16:36
As last year, I'll be flying from southern England to La Sauviniere (EBSP) near Spa Francorchamps for the Belgian GP at the end of next month. However, just after my last trip there, the new Schengen Area regulations came into force preventing a direct flight from dear Blighty to the circuit.

I appreciate that many of you probably do something similar to this all the time, so can someone please tell me what's involved? Do I just have to first land at a Belgian airfield that has a customs facility or are there specific entry points? Are there any preferred routes (I'll be coasting out from Kent/Suffolk area)? Any airfields/routes to be avoided?

Any pointers or advice from someone with a bit of experience would be much appreciated! :ok:

TTB

biggles99
11th Jul 2009, 18:35
Toptobottom.

pop into Wevelgem Kortrek, EBKT

The very friendly and fluent in english customs officer will look at your passport immediately and you can be on your way in less than 10 minutes.

If you are flying a piston powered heli, be as empty of fuel as you can when you get to Lydd, EGMD, because there you pay 30p per litre less for fuel if you are heading abroad. That's the only practical advantage for us pilots in not being in Schengen.

have a great flight,

Big Ls

007helicopter
11th Jul 2009, 22:59
Sorry no advice unless with advance notice it may be possible to get customs, there web site does not give this information but I will find out.

Can you tell me last year how did you get to the circuit, can you get a rental car delivered to the airport?

Also anyone with suggestions for a hotel over the GP weekend, I will be flying fixed wing and before seeing your post was assuming I would have to go to Liege.

toptobottom
12th Jul 2009, 10:40
Thanks for all the PMs with advice - it looks like there are only 6 official border crossing points for Belgium and Wevelgem Kortrek, EBKT, is by far the easiest option (thanks Big Ls). After border checks, DCT EBSP.

Can you tell me last year how did you get to the circuit, can you get a rental car delivered to the airport?

Also anyone with suggestions for a hotel over the GP weekend, I will be flying fixed wing and before seeing your post was assuming I would have to go to Liege.

Last year we flew direct from Goodwood to La Sauviniere, which is a couple of miles from Francorchamps - one of the lads at the airfield drove the 4 of us to the private house we were renting, 300m from the circuit :ok: Very friendly staff and very cheap landing fee/parking. This was just as well, as a taxi from Francorchamps to Spa (10 mins) cost us £85 - each way!!!

If you haven't got accommodation sorted out yet, i think you'll be very lucky to find anything other than a camping pitch - most of the private houses/hotels were booked up a year ago...

007helicopter
12th Jul 2009, 15:08
Thanks, yes accommodation is the problem now, maybe further away and a hire car is the option, cheers

Duncan

toptobottom
12th Jul 2009, 15:20
pop into Wevelgem Kortrek, EBKT

Big Ls - apologies, i missed this post :O

This is a much better option that Ostend - more direct and good advice on the fuel!