PDA

View Full Version : Sim Instructor Pay

sarboy w****r
10th Jul 2009, 15:39
Hi All,

Does anyone know what sort of salary goes with a military (helicopter) sim instructing job in the UK please? e.g. Benson, Middle Wallop etc. Very rough ballpark figures will do. Please PM if you can help and if you don't want to commit them to this thread.

Many thanks,

SBW

Top Bunk Tester
10th Jul 2009, 17:21
This going back a bit now (1997 to be precise) but on being kicked out of the RAF, kicking and screaming, on medical grounds, I was offered the first civilian Air Engineer Instructor slot at Lyneham. At that time it was a civil service slot, I believe it's Thales now. They, the CS, had the bloody cheek to offer £17k. Bloody typist instructors at Halton were being paid £1k more than that, with incentive and retention. Needless to say I told them to shove it where the sun don't shine. :ugh:

soddim
10th Jul 2009, 17:51
Circa £42,000 and more for supervisory positions.

spheroid
10th Jul 2009, 18:42
I'm not quite sure about our RAF Brothers but the RN simulators are operated by current and serving aircrew. Some of the sims will have civil servants working for them but by and large when you walk into the sim for a sortie you will be taught by a current pilot / Observer who has to maintain his flying currency (slightly reduced - I think its 8 hours per month) as well as work the sim.

Therefore they will be on the same wonga as everyone else.

Seldomfitforpurpose
10th Jul 2009, 19:33
Spheroid,

Certainly the same case for the J model as well :ok:

sarboy w****r
10th Jul 2009, 23:14
Thanks, I'm interested in the payscales for those that are working as civvies for a company such as CAE @ Benson etc. It's not relevant for those that are still serving.

Would really appreciate advice as to rates of pay for civvie instructors, as well as sim techies.

Thanks,

SBW

Bertie Thruster
10th Jul 2009, 23:35
50k, if you can bear Valley.

6Z3
11th Jul 2009, 06:53
by and large when you walk into the sim for a sortie you will be taught by a current pilot / Observer

Unless you fly the RN Sea King, in which case you will be taught, by and large, by a C2 grade CS earning an additional £5K RRA, there being an apparent chronic shortage of suitably experienced retired Sea King Instructors living, or willing to live in West Cornwall wanting the job. :*

chinook240
11th Jul 2009, 08:56
You could always talk to John!

Advert bottom LHS

sponsorship scheme | support helicopter | raf benson | 2004 | 09 - 0233 | Flight Archive (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/2004/2004-09%20-%200233.html)

spheroid
11th Jul 2009, 11:25
there being an apparent chronic shortage of suitably experienced retired Sea King Instructors living, or willing to live in West Cornwall wanting the job.

I bet no one saw that coming. It does make you wonder why the Sea king simulator is in West Cornwall when the Sea Kings are generally not in West Cornwall (bar 1 or 2 of them). Much the same as the Chinook simulator really....