PDA

View Full Version : Yeovilton Airshow 09, NIMROD MR2.

dodgysootie
9th Jul 2009, 20:58
I've looked on the relevant websites etc. without success. I am visiting the South west tomorrow for a few days and would like to know if the Nimrod MR2 Mighty Hunter will be gracing the Skies or Visiting the Airshow as a Static. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

DS

EdSett100
9th Jul 2009, 21:00
Its on the flypro for a Nimrod to go there.

Rgds
Ed

anita gofradump
9th Jul 2009, 21:02
Here you go..................

Yeovilton Air Day (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/establishments/naval-bases-and-air-stations/rnas-yeovilton/rnas-yeovilton-air-day-2009/visitors/)

Vim_Fuego
9th Jul 2009, 21:38
You're after a free lift home aren't you?

camelspyyder
9th Jul 2009, 21:42
I hope they do send one, last time we did it in '06 it was the most popular static exhibit in the show...apart from the stench where the bog had leaked into the flight deck during the transit - Yuk - so nice for the punters who had queued in the sun for half an hour or more to get the tour - lol:)

and for the MR2 crew - zapping the Commodore during his thankyou speech was where we left the bar - see if you can raise it!:ok:

NutLoose
9th Jul 2009, 21:46
If Waddingtons flying display is anything to go by, you might be pushed to see a Toyota MR2 displaying, let alone a Nimrod. :mad:

adrian mole
10th Jul 2009, 05:06
Nut - Tend to agree with you. Waddington was very disappointing.

DaveyBoy
10th Jul 2009, 06:28
camelspyyder: and we still have the 'gizzits' that we liberated from the RN, displayed on the Sqn :-)

I was regaling the youth with our Zapping The Commodore story only yesterday. Naught Escapes Us, indeed! I think we timed the exit very well though :-)

anita: Thanks for the link. I take it that we're the Nimrod - Historic Aircraft Collection in the Warbirds & Historic section at the bottom of the page? Impressed that we're doing a flying display!

GalleyTeapot
10th Jul 2009, 08:20
This is the Nimrod that is listed under "Historic"

Historic Aircraft Collection Limited (http://www.historicaircraftcollection.ltd.uk/nimrod/)

Double Zero
10th Jul 2009, 08:55
It's nothing without a Sea Harrier; that goes for the navy, not just the display !

Call Art Nalls, at least he has the balls to operate the most significant aircraft in recent RN history - now, how many - non aviator - Admirals are there compared to ship numbers ?

barnstormer1968
10th Jul 2009, 10:08
A friend of mine has just called me to say that the red arrows are calling into Filton today at 18.05, ready for the displays over the weekend. He says his father in law is going to Yeovilton purely to see the Vulcan.
Does anyone have any very up to date info on whether XH558 will be flying there.
If it is flying, I will go, if not then maybe I won't as the weather is supposed to be poor tomorrow:(

PS. Why is the Vulcan listed in the 'foreign' section on the display list?

airborne_artist
10th Jul 2009, 10:24
Vulcan to the Sky Trust - Avro Vulcan Bomber XH558 - Vulcan To The Sky Trust (http://www.vulcantothesky.org/) says the chance of it flying are "fair". Given the near terminal optimism of the tin-triangle's operators, I'd say that meant less than 25%. Check later today, but don't hold your breath.

Tappers Dad
10th Jul 2009, 10:53
Visitors : RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2009 : RNAS Yeovilton : Naval Bases & Air Stations : Establishments : Operations and Support : Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/establishments/naval-bases-and-air-stations/rnas-yeovilton/rnas-yeovilton-air-day-2009/visitors/)

It is interesting to read that the flying Nimrod on Saturday is under Warbirds & Historics

Nimrod - Historic Aircraft Collection

Says it all really !!

airborne_artist
10th Jul 2009, 10:57
TD - that's because there's more than one Nimrod - the one displaying dates from 1934!

http://www.historicaircraftcollection.ltd.uk/images/k3661_master.jpg

barnstormer1968
10th Jul 2009, 11:32
Thanks for your reply. I did not check the XH558 website, as I feel that they will always say yes!

My plan was, as you suggested to hang around and see if anyone had any last minute info:ok:

airborne_artist
10th Jul 2009, 15:02
I was too pessimistic - it's reported on another forum that the Permit is complete, and XH558 is on her way to Zummerzet in one hour - ETA VL 1800 local.

Tappers Dad
10th Jul 2009, 15:42
airborne_artist

Thanks for that.

Pheeeee taxi for TD please.

barnstormer1968
10th Jul 2009, 16:51
While I can understand you wanting to help Tappers Dad find the correct aircraft on display, I'm not sure how posting that photo of BEagle in training helped:}

Sorry oh mighty BEagle, but I just could not resist. It's only a joke.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
10th Jul 2009, 18:01
The Mighty Hunter will not be at Yeovilton this weekend.

Duncs:ok:

Bannock
10th Jul 2009, 18:05
Yeovilton Airshow 09, NIMROD MR2.

Sorry guys, but its a no show from us.
Crew Gutted, for those who know 201Sqn history, it was our Birthday Party too.

Wishing you fair winds and a following sea.

Bannock

its the bish
10th Jul 2009, 18:10
Vulcan on finals for yeovilton!

john50uk
10th Jul 2009, 18:36
Is the Vulcan doing a flying display at RIAT? It's one of the reasons I'm going there.

TEEEJ
10th Jul 2009, 20:12
Yes.

Vulcan to the Sky Trust - Avro Vulcan Bomber XH558 - Vulcan To The Sky Trust (http://www.vulcantothesky.org/FlightOperations.asp)

All,
Remember that Fairford is an all ticket show this year. No tickets will be available on the gate.

TJ

anita gofradump
11th Jul 2009, 06:45
"MR2 in no-show shock!!!"

I can see the headline..............

Yeovilton's pie retailers are wondering what to do with their extra orders.

Tappers Dad
11th Jul 2009, 10:31
anita gofradump

"MR2 in no-show shock!!!"

I can see the headline

What is more interesting is why it's not flying

Duncan D'Sorderlee
11th Jul 2009, 10:47
TD,

The jet is required at Kinloss.

sumps
11th Jul 2009, 10:47
OK TD i'll ask...so why cant one out of the fleet be found to fly at the weekend?

Duncan D'Sorderlee
11th Jul 2009, 10:51
Ok, Sumps,

All the jets are required at Kinloss this weekend.

The members of what was previously No 1 Sqn RNAS are, I am sure, disappointed that they are unable to take part in the celebrations this weekend. They are probably enjoying Forres Highland Games instead. In the rain.

Double Zero
11th Jul 2009, 11:02
Why on earth are all Nimrods required at Kinloss, is there a menacing fleet of Bears & Akulas coming this way ?

I'm not ex-Navy, but I can't help wondering if this is yet another anti-Navy move ( as someone who reads history, past experience decrees we're due for a really major conflict as soon as the FAA is rodgered ).

TheSmiter
11th Jul 2009, 11:44
I guess the simple answer 00 et al is that those who need to know, know.
All others can log onto www.conspiracytheory.com (http://www.conspiracytheory.com) and reinforce whichever version of the truth they want to believe.

Anita - don't know when you last flew on Norman but

Yeovilton's pie retailers are wondering what to do with their extra orders

the days of Jock Pies, DCS and Honkers disappeared long before schoolkids shunned Jamie Oliver. You're more likely to find chicken salads, tuna wraps and apples in the Mighty Galley these days. Not only helping aircrew to save pounds but, more importantly, the Treasury. Win win all round :D

Ref Yeovilton, hope all the visitors are having a great day. :ok:

TS

PS Sorry dodgysootie you'll have to make your own way home ;)

Vim_Fuego
11th Jul 2009, 12:42
The last time I did yeovilton on a Nim we couldn't get out of the park until Monday mid morning...If serviceabilty isn't great at the moment at ISK due to normal reasons like shortage of techies or spares then maybe the frame that was down for the airshow is needed for Monday...

It meant we had to waste Sunday in Taunton...stinking hot day...Somerset was playing Lancs at home...Atherton scored a whirlwind century...Scrumpy Jack was flowing...

Not too bad at all...

anita gofradump
11th Jul 2009, 14:35
Never had DCS (gutted) or honkers (sounds worse than Range Stew).

You will, however, find pies - including Jockanese variants - on the rationing form.

I know, I bit, but I hate being told I'm wrong when I know I'm right.

I would hope that the jet gets more displays than ever during it's last few years and that missing Yeovilton this weekend, is a one-off.

om15
11th Jul 2009, 16:43
Went to Yeovilton today, mainly to see ( and hear) XH558 but the old bird went tech with a hydraulic leak in the brake system, these things happen, apart from a bit of noise from the French Navy not a lot happened really, Sea Vixen did a good display, all in all about 20 minutes flying over 6 hours, weather wasn't too bad, but lots of cancellations in the flying programme. Rather a lot of disappointed people going home early, for such an important 100 year celebration it was all a bit flat. Hope for a better one next year,

BR om15

Duncan D'Sorderlee
11th Jul 2009, 16:49
00; it is most disappointing that you think that the crew that had intended to go to Yeovilton would rather not be there. They are proud to be decended from No 1 Sqn RNAS and were looking forward to drinking the fishheads under the table!.

However, the weather up here is now magic!

Pheasant
11th Jul 2009, 17:10
all in all about 20 minutes flying over 6 hours, weather wasn't too bad, but lots of cancellations in the flying programme

Obviously you were at a different show. With a cloudbase of 800' not many jets are going to fly but I did notice that most of the Navy oriented ones did (Sea Vixen, Rafale, Skyraider etc), but the RAF ones didn't - message there? Jordanians were great as were the helos as usual. Vulcan couldn't fly but it was towed to the static park for the punters to see. Hawker Nimrod a treat to see flying. Finale good as ever given the rain at the end.

Great day given the weather and huge crowd compared to last year. Even think I saw Prince Andrew at lunchtime. Presumably he was there as Hon Commodore of the FAA.

Albert Driver
11th Jul 2009, 18:51
Very poor effort at Yeovilton. It took the Rafale to show how it should be done - and during the worst weather of the day. Given the number of helos available and able to operate under a lowish cloudbase there was no reason why a better flying program couldn't have been run. Little effort was made to adapt the programme timetable to the conditions. Long periods of relatively good weather were wasted. The weather was as forecast several days in advance - and above limits most of the time.
The fact is most of their key aircraft were not ready for the Navy's own Centenary Airshow. They expected 558 to cover the gaps but sadly it couldn't.

First Waddington, now Yeovilton. Organisers need to do more than sit back, take the money and make excuses about the weather and unserviceabilities. Next year both events can look forward to far lower attendances.

NutLoose
11th Jul 2009, 19:18
XH558 Tech today
Went to Yeovilton today, mainly to see ( and hear) XH558 but the old bird went tech with a hydraulic leak in the brake system.

BR om15

I'ts not for nothing it's nickname is "The Amy Winehouse of the Air" you can book it, but whether it appears and puts on a show is a different matter.....

Double Zero
11th Jul 2009, 19:23
Come to Tangmere next weekend; though usually a static display ( at least we have a Sea Harrier, in fact the first converted to FRS2 then FA2, among many other interesting aircraft & bits & pieces ) there will be a flying display hopefully inc. The BBMF and others for the open day.

If you get the chance, you can try flying a Hunter through Tower Bridge as local lad Al Pollock did for real; not too sure about the wisdom involved, but when we host bunches of Air Cadets things get seriously competetive re. max speed through on the sim's!

Judging by the IAS and easily ignored overspeed warning, I'd tend to agree with John Farley that simlulators ought not to go into uncharted flight regimes, but these are more like games than training aids - I hope !

Surprisingly realistic in other ways though; I find the Chipmunk easly to fly & land, but difficult to do it well, as a good trainer should be.

Landing Neville Duke's airspeed record Hunter ( the real thing is next to the simulator ) takes a bit of concentration too...

cornish-stormrider
11th Jul 2009, 20:09
Have not long got back to Jannerville from Yeovil and it was a complete crock o ****e....

I am sad that the Vulcan went U/S but at least they had the gumption to pull it over the runway for us to take pics.

The reds made a few passes, when they went into the first big bend the left hand wing was almost on the ground and the right disappeared.

The show's only fast air was a Rafale and an F16 doing very low flat passes.

The sea vixen was good and old school but that was about it, unless you want lots of rotary action.

There were huge gaps in the flypro and everyone was stood around waiting and waiting. it took an hour to get out of the bloody car park, is a couple of marshallers in each field to much to ask?

On a score out of ten I would rate this about a 6, and that is not for the weather.

BEagle
11th Jul 2009, 20:12
XH558 Tech today
Went to Yeovilton today, mainly to see ( and hear) XH558 but the old bird went tech with a hydraulic leak in the brake system.

'Went tech' - is that some MSFS / spotter / people tube driver term? It sure as $hit isn't a military turn of phrase.

Actually 558 had a minor brake issue which was soon fixed. It was the poor weather which precluded the display.

JEM60
11th Jul 2009, 20:28
Y'all should have been at Flying Legends at Duxford. Brilliant brilliant show, as usual, and in sunshine too!!!!

Albert Driver
11th Jul 2009, 21:09
Actually "Gone Tech" is a phrase dating back to VC10 days, which I thought Beags had some connection with. Admittedly it it was when they were used for the purpose they were designed for - not wastefully ferrying fuel around...

jim2673
11th Jul 2009, 21:12
There were huge gaps in the flypro and everyone was stood around waiting and waiting. it took an hour to get out of the bloody car park, is a couple of marshallers in each field to much to ask?

On a score out of ten I would rate this about a 6, and that is not for the weather.

Absolute hideous today a embarrasment to the FAA and Service. Without a doubt the worst AD i've ever had the " misfortune" to attend in 19 years.

No attempt by anyone to bring the displays fwd after the "Reds" and Vulcan went U/S.....Is it that difficult?????????

Why is AHA allowed to continue running the event, after this and last years showing consideration must be given to geting someone else to run the show.

On a score no more than 2/10 and that's being generous.

NutLoose
11th Jul 2009, 21:16
Gone or went tech is also the Jargon used in Civilian Aviation circles and as it is a civi jet these days it is apt...... Though they should adopt the saying Went Servicable as that's the rarity as opposed to the norm...

I can see funding drying up very fast for this thing rapidly, thats 2 main shows that have gone by without a result, If it fails to do RIAT then it may be a case of park it on a bed of loose gravel..... At least that way they would finally lose the services of Dr Phleming who is doing them no favours.

GPMG
11th Jul 2009, 22:24
Merlintw4t, perhaps you need to read the other posts about you and either return to the base side of the rock that you crawled out from under or just concentrate on thinking before you post. Pretty much everyone here has the recent losses foremost in their mind, it does not require a creep of your immense standard to point it out.

JEM60, were there any highlights from Flying legends today? I usually make the trip but my usual group of mates rode to France this year to celebrate Bastille day with friends in France (lack of funds and a trip to the 24hr Bike LeMans meaning that positive wife points are diminished, meant that I had to miss a trip to meet the monkeys of cheese).
Last year I hoped to see and hear the FW190 replica make a flight but was dissapointed. 2 B-17's in the air at once was terrific though.

Pleased that I gave Yeovilton a miss, I had wanted to see the Vulcan fly (was in awe last year at Farnborough). I would have been gutted to have made the trip and not heard the entire public area go quiet again as those four engines spool up.

dead_pan
11th Jul 2009, 22:32
First Waddington, now Yeovilton. Organisers need to do more than sit back, take the money and make excuses about the weather and unserviceabilities. Next year both events can look forward to far lower attendances.

All of the major UK shows have been on the decline for several years now. Its only a matter of time before some are amalgamated or axed altogether.

Isn't it RIAT next weekend?:eek:

chinook240
12th Jul 2009, 08:03
Shame its a one day show!

Edit: Ooops! In which case you are right. :ok:

JEM60
12th Jul 2009, 08:53
GPMG. Sorry, just picked up your post just as I am leaving for Duxford again. Very very good show, I will reply in more detail tonight.

handsome goafer
12th Jul 2009, 09:43
Anyone know when the Vulcan is scheduled to leave Yeos?

om15
12th Jul 2009, 09:53
"Actually 558 had a minor brake issue which was soon fixed. It was the poor weather which precluded the display."

Following the engines shut down prior to the display, the commentator announced that the aircraft had a hydraulic defect with the braking system, engineering would attempt to rectify the snag, and hopefully the aircraft could fly later in the afternoon.

At around 1530 (ish) a further anouncement that the defect could not be rectified, and therefore the aircraft would be towed to the static display area adjacent to the viewing areas.

From the announcements at the time, it would appear that the display did not take place because the aircraft was unserviceable.

BR om15

Arbie
12th Jul 2009, 13:55
As one who worked the show yesterday, I was distinctly unimpressed with the poor scheduling. AHA had the opportunity to take advantage of the breaks in the weather, but stuck to their guns and original timings, even if that meant that the punters saw fewer displays. The word on the street is that AHA didn't want to bring the 'flagship' displays forward (such as the maritime role demo), as they feared the punters would then all disappear before they got the forecast soaking, and therefore all the businesses / trade stands / purveyors of fine burgers and pork-connective-tissue would lose out on several hours of prime captive-audience selling. I sincerely hope the rumour mill is wrong, because it would be a sad state of affairs, and, I suspect, will result in a vastly reduced attendance next year. Put simply, I would have felt a little seen off had I paid £21 to get in yesterday.

Arbie

Albert Driver
12th Jul 2009, 14:27
If that is true then AHA's strategy didn't work.
The car parks were already gridlocked by early leavers at 1530.

False Capture
12th Jul 2009, 15:42
Heard someone refer to XH558 as "The Amy Winehouse of the airshow circuit" - you can book it but there's no guarantee it will pitch up and put on a show.:}

Albert Driver
12th Jul 2009, 19:18
XH558 needs a name. AMY would be perfect. Anyone good at nose-art?

GPMG
12th Jul 2009, 20:14
The last thing you want is an image of that minging troll stuck on the front of the Vulcan. She might work on an A-10 though, apt nickname as well.

BEagle
12th Jul 2009, 21:37
Since I didn't know what an Amy Winehouse was (I thought that it might be some cheap pub chain), I googled for it.

Found lots of pictures of some hideously ugly female. What does she do?

muppetofhtenorth
12th Jul 2009, 21:50
Found lots of pictures of some hideously ugly female. What does she do?

Since she didn't know what a BEgale was (She thought that it might be some cheap pub toilet seat), she googled for it.

Found lots of pictures of some hideously boring ****. What does he do she said?

Pheasant
12th Jul 2009, 21:57
There were huge gaps in the flypro and everyone was stood around waiting and waiting.

Went along to watch the departures today - bad idea as they are going tomorrow! But I did talk to one of the air traffickers about the show day itself. Apparently the average cloudbase was 800' and often down to 250' - way below the 1000' minima. The so called "clearance gaps" were more like "suckers gaps" as the Reds found out. Also the gaps were shorter than the time it takes to get a jet manned and airborne.

I am amazed at how many posters criticize the base for a poor air show when they have absolutely no control over the weather and safety is absolutely paramount after Ramstein.....but perhaps it is a crash you guys want?

MightyGem
12th Jul 2009, 22:49
'Went tech' - is that some MSFS / spotter / people tube driver term? It sure as $hit isn't a military turn of phrase.

How about "went tits" then? That's definitely military!

green granite
13th Jul 2009, 06:46

Ain't a military aircraft either :)

Albert Driver
13th Jul 2009, 08:54
But I did talk to one of the air traffickers about the show day itself. Apparently the average cloudbase was 800' and often down to 250' - way below the 1000' minima. The so called "clearance gaps" were more like "suckers gaps" as the Reds found out.

The Reds were just unlucky with the timing and did at least make an attempt.

But throughout the day there were extensive periods of satisfactory cloudbase, certainly not suckers gaps as you describe them, which were unused because of an unwillingness by the organisers to bring forward displays to fill the gaps left by known cancellations. Had XH558 been rescheduled earlier as soon as it was realised there would be gaps then its hydraulic glitch could have been sorted before the weather finally clamped at the end of the show.

barnstormer1968
13th Jul 2009, 17:40
I was very disappointed not to see XH558 fly, and did think it may have been able to fly at certain times in the day (differing with the official programme, and partly through my desperation to see a Vulcan fly after so many years), but then again, I fully realise aircrew and crowd safety are paramount. The cloud was very low all day, and while the 'reds' did try to perform, at one point (as they passed to the extreme left) one of the aircraft completely disappeared into cloud.

The Rafale looked very agile, despite only being able to perform basic manoeuvres.
So on the whole, even though the show was a huge disappointment, it did serve to remind one of the 'professional' element in 'professional aviator'. There could have been a big demand from the organisers for aircraft to perform, but IMHO the pilots called it right in not performing in the conditions of the day (even though it meant my day was spoiled).

On a different tangent, the overall highlight of the weekend for me, was in the FAA museum on Sunday, when I was 'transferring' to the carrier in the mock up Wessex, and one of the passengers said to her boyfriend "So is this the harrier?"

I was going to point out the Sea Harrier many PPRuNer's say is really a GR3, only to find there are now two Sea Harriers in the museum, an FRS1 and an FA2!

I am now wondering whether to bother with RIAT this year, as it will mean another day off work, and another chance to possibly not see a Vulcan fly.:(

JFZ90
13th Jul 2009, 18:03
Is it true that Rafale (and a Naval version at that) did perform at this Fleet Air Arm show - and an RAF Typhoon didn't/couldn't? Was that really allowed to happen? Quite some ammunition that....

Wrathmonk
13th Jul 2009, 18:31
JFZ

Nice fishing trip!

A sensible reply would be that the weather was so changeable the Rafale was lucky with its timing.

Or the Typhoon pilot was being professional wheras the Rafale pilot was flying in his stetson and spurs!

Did the GR9 fly?

bugbirdhughes
13th Jul 2009, 18:43
From what I heard on the radio the Rafale pilot was very professional and spent most of the time giving cloud base information. He was the highlight of a very disappointing day for me. One day I will get to see that XH558 fly.
Sea Vixen was also a highlight.:ok:

airborne_artist
13th Jul 2009, 19:22
VL really should change the day of the airday. Last year was ****e weather, too, IIRC.

6Z3
13th Jul 2009, 19:55
....but be careful that it doesn't clash with Culdrose Airday - the weather is always sh*te on that day!

Pheasant
13th Jul 2009, 21:56
I was very disappointed not to see XH558 fly, and did think it may have been able to fly at certain times in the day (differing with the official programme,

According to Twitter the vulcan did not fly as there was no Marshalls rep to sign off the books after the hyd problem.

but IMHO the pilots called it right in not performing in the conditions of the day

The Flying Control Committee called the shots, not the pilots. IMHO the FCC did a brilliant job in challenging conditions and after all there was at least: all the helos flew, as did: Sea Vixen;2 x F16s, Rafale, the Reds (until they entered cloud); Sea Fire; Sky Raider; Jordanian Aerobats; Hawker Nimrod.

Very easy to criticise the home team but with such a changeable cloudbase re-ordering the display would have been chaotic and probably dangerous. is there any one from the FCC on the forum to comment?

Albert Driver
14th Jul 2009, 07:51
According to Twitter the vulcan did not fly as there was no Marshalls rep to sign off the books after the hyd problem.
It won't surprise anyone that VTS still remains silent about the event - but individual team members are adamant the Vulcan was fit to fly and the weather was the limiting factor. Would they have been happy to tow the aircraft to the static park with either a hydraulic leak or a brake failure, signed off or not?

The Flying Control Committee called the shots, not the pilots. IMHO the FCC did a brilliant job in challenging conditions
Is it true, as I'm hearing, that they refused to bring the Vulcan slot forward to fill a large known cancellation gap in good weather because they thought everyone would go home afterwards and stop spending their money at the show? How brilliant is that?

gareth herts
14th Jul 2009, 08:19
As I understand it the aircraft started (she was right in front of us) and was on-target to meet her slot, which had already been brought forward. Unfortunately the hyd problem became apparent and she was forced to shut down.

The problem was resolved but the weather by this time had worsened (it was marginal earlier anyway) and there was no way she could display, so they therefore towed her over to the static line-up.

Not sure there is any great conspiracy here...........

barnstormer1968
14th Jul 2009, 09:40
Originally by Pheasant
Very easy to criticise the home team but with such a changeable cloudbase re-ordering the display would have been chaotic and probably dangerous. is there any one from the FCC on the forum to comment?

I wasn't criticising anyone.
As for the pilots not calling the shots, somehow I think they may have had some say in whether they flew or not, as in the case with the Seakings deciding to fast rope rather than para drop their marines, and the reds deciding not to continue for example.

Are you sure 2 x F16's flew?

re ordering the display would have been chaotic, and probably dangerous?, you have lost me there I'm afraid (bearing in mind it could have been for better visibility, and in the same practised airspace, and with only one display at a time. Not to mention the flypro was not followed anyway).

Cpt_Pugwash
14th Jul 2009, 12:27
As Beagle, OM15 and AlbertDriver have already commented, the Vulcan snag was sorted and she was ready to fly, but the weather had closed in. This was confirmed to me, separately, by a ground crew and a flight crew member.
The shame is that due to the Tannoy announcements made at the time, most of the paying public left thinking that it was an unserviceability issue that had prevented the display. It was noticeable that a large section of the crowd packed up and left as soon as the no-fly announcement was made.

Pheasant,
I think only the Belgian F-16 flew.

AndoniP
14th Jul 2009, 13:18
only the belgian f-16 flew and it wasn't bad considering the cloud base. the rafale display was impressive too.

for anyone that hadn't been to yeovilton before (like myself) there was plenty of other stuff to see despite the weather causing grief with the flying displays. the static display was ok, but the museum was very good and well worth visiting. the carrier deck hall and especially seeing G-BSST and a P.1127 were the highlights of my day to be honest.

if the vulcan's serviceability / attendance record has taught anyone anything, it should be to not go to an airshow solely to see it fly. half the time you will be disappointed. apologies to VST people on here i don't mean it to sound like criticism. I own an old car and it's forever giving me grief, so i understand the u/s issues to an extent!

What saved Waddington for me was the static display and maybe the Eurofighter (only because i've seen it fly loads of times, it's more about the sound than anything else). Never been inside a KC-135 or E-3 before and it was great chatting to the crews and having a laugh with them.

With air shows there will always be cancellations, make sure there's something else you can fill your time with instead of leaving early in a huff :}

Albert Driver
14th Jul 2009, 18:01
But this Yeovilton Air Day was sold as celebrating 100 Years of Naval Aviation. Yet most of the key Naval aircraft were not there and many would not have been there even if the weather had been perfect.

The Sea Fury with covers on and no engine out in the static park on such an important occasion pretty much summed up the day (and the attitude). Yes there is a good museum but most of those interested in Naval aviation had been there (many times) before. They paid to see airworthy Naval aircraft. If the weather prevented them flying that's unfortunate, but they should have been prepared and they should have been present.

That's the main reason it was such a rubbish show, not just the poor weather and the unfortunate problem with the Vulcan.

Snaga II
14th Jul 2009, 22:56
Yes it was disappointing but my major moan is that too many " carers " were allowed into the disabled compound. One young lad nearby had nine family members with him and they, and every other " able bodied " persons, insisted on standing up each time an aircraft was heard. Despite many polite, and abusive, attempts to get these people to sit down and stop blocking the view of those of us confined to wheelchairs the pleas fell on deaf ears and provoked looks of " stuff you mate I'll stand if I want to! ". We don't ask for much in life and don't wish to inconvenience others with our disabilities but this was " our compound " very graciously provided by HMS Heron and the afternoon was ruined. I managed a total of 12 photogrphs all afternoon and 10 of those were after the Vulcan failed to appear and the " enthusiasts " left early. I was very sorry to hear that they got stuck in the car parks aahhh!! :mad:

Razor61
15th Jul 2009, 00:24
I was lucky enough to see the full Rafale rehearsal the day before the show and it was certainly the most agile jet i have seen display (without thrust vectoring).
On the show day the Rafale pilot wanted to check the weather out (cloud base etc) and so made a big effort to get as much of a display as he could with the conditions.
The RAF Typhoon didn't leave the spot it was parked on. Nor did the Dutch F16.

Highlight of the Friday arrivals was one of the Rafales landing on the grass and thumping the start of the runway :eek: with tyre marks and lots of smoke!

Not to mention the Maritime Lynx display (now seperate from the assault demo) which to everyones surprise, two of them popping loads of flares out (something they didn't even do on the show day!).

Here is the Vulcan arriving on Friday

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/lajuriel/IMG_3178-VLAD09.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/lajuriel/IMG_3175-VLAD09.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/lajuriel/IMG_3208-VLAD09.jpg

om15
15th Jul 2009, 08:10
Razor 61, great photos, the aircraft really looks as good as new.

I agree with Albert Driver, as a Navy Open Day it was ok, brass bands, gun teams, fudge stalls, lots of porto loos, all this was organised very well.

The event was advertised as an Air Day, given that the location was the West Country and some of the participants were elderly, it could be easily predicted that things would not go to plan, especially as the weather reports were extremely accurate well in advance.
There did not appear to be any form of contingency plan, also in some cases flying aircraft did not really display at all, the Chinook took off and just disappeared, the Skyraider took off, a swift pass and then away, both these aircraft could have spent a few more minutes in front of the crowd.

The Rafale, F16 and Sea Vixen showed the RN how it should be done, the only section of the Air Day that carried out the task regardless of the weather and managed to stay serviceable was the civilian commercially operated joy ride helicopters, all four (five?) were fully operational all day.

Perhaps the RN could celebrate future events by contracting the flying display out to civilian and foreign operators?

BR om15

LookingNorth
15th Jul 2009, 08:52
As an Air Day it was a pale shadow of former glories alright, though thankfully grog avail in the right places as usual.

Fair enough RNHF kit all broken but could have at least put them on static display - the Swordfish was even parked outside on southside for at least part of Saturday.

November4
16th Jul 2009, 19:33
Went past Yeovilton this morning and saw the Vulcan next to the FAA Museum (an new addition??) and then this afternoon it was over the other side of the air field - covers on.

spheroid
16th Jul 2009, 20:02
I understand that the Vulcan will leave Yeovilton tomorrow to route to RIAT.... I'm not sure what time or indeed if that is just a rumour

gareth herts
16th Jul 2009, 21:11
Midday is the planned departure time, at least it was earlier according to TVOC.

Seaking93
16th Jul 2009, 22:17
The Vulcan has been 'parked' behind the museum since Sunday so that the public could get a closer look at it via the museum viewing area windows, it was moved across to south dispersal today prior to its departure at 1200 tomorrow for Fairford.

There are actually 3 Harriers on display in the museum, P1127 and Sea Harrier FRS1(GR3) in Hall 4 and F/A2 in Hall 1

The Rafale that flew was a FAF example, the navy one was in the static park.

Snaga II
17th Jul 2009, 13:58
One of the few - photographs that is - on a very mucky day.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt143/drussii/2009_07112009Yeovilton0084.jpg

jim2673
17th Jul 2009, 18:21
Vulcan departed VL at 1435, great show watching it thunder down 27 and get airborne. Bloody typical of a numerous SK using points west to get in the way

Friday afternoon must have been GFP Mon to Thurs inclusive obviously not good enough.

barnstormer1968
17th Jul 2009, 18:30
Surely there are only two Sea harriers in the FAA museum, with the aircraft in bare metal finish being a Kestrel, such as used by the initial evaluation Sqn, prior to the introduction of the Harrier into service.

(Although I am happy to be corrected here, by those much more in the know)

Seaking93
17th Jul 2009, 20:02
Barnstormer, yes there are only 2 Sea Harriers in FAAM, I said 3 Harriers, which is actually wrong I admit because as I mentioned the third one is a P1127. The P1127 was the prototype of the whole Harrier family, the first airframe to house the Pegasus engine, the Kestrel came between the P1127 and the Harrier GR1 and equipped the trials unit at West Raynham