PDA

View Full Version : RAF Regiment to expand

November4
9th Jul 2009, 16:44
Just seen on the MOD site (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/DefencePolicyAndBusiness/RafRegimentToExpand.htm) that the RAF Regt is to get another Fd Sqn and FPW HQ - 184 extra Rocks - increasing the time that regiment gunners are able to spend at home in between overseas tours.

Good news for the Rocks but it wasn't that long ago that the Rocks were losing FD Sqns and with a "Root & Branch review of defence spending announced" just starting....just hope they can keep them once the Review concludes.

Sam TC
9th Jul 2009, 17:29
I thought it was 26 and 37 sqn's they lost when the rapiers were sent to the Royal Artillery. Might be wrong though

NURSE
9th Jul 2009, 20:42
or a way of employing infantry soldiers from the army when they disband regiments in the new review.

Willard Whyte
9th Jul 2009, 21:40
As long as the budget for training and consolidation flying are not affected.

Oh, hang on a minute...

WST527
10th Jul 2009, 14:48
FD Sqns have not been reduced since the downscaling after OP Grandby. Your are correct the rocket rocks went to the RA. I wonder which sqn numberplate will be brought back in. I will go for for either 48 or 58

Sam TC
11th Jul 2009, 12:07
Could you please clarify which RAF Regiment squadrons are still around then. Differnet sources are telling me different things. Thanks

Wrathmonk
11th Jul 2009, 12:31
Amazingly the Regt pages within the RAF website will give you the info you seek. Clicky (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafregiment/rafregimentsquadrons/). ;)

Sam TC
11th Jul 2009, 12:53
I have looked at that page and I was looking for where the sqns are based and my filter interview is on Monday, so it would be helpful to know that.
Ta though :ok:

Stupidbutsaveable
11th Jul 2009, 18:53
Sam
Ignore Paddy. The fact that you looking for that level of detail about the RAF Regt prior to your filtering interview tells me you will walk it. Good luck.

Wrathmonk
11th Jul 2009, 19:37
Sam

Sorry I couldn't give you an answer on a plate but this inter-web-thingy can be a bit tricky.

You give up too easily - not what they are looking for if given a simple research task. If you read each of the sqn pages, then cross refer them to the station pages (to check if they are still current) and as a last resort use google carefully you'll get all the answers. Took about 10 minutes. Ho hum ....

What would sound better when asked where you're knowledge came from ...

A. Some mate on PPruNe gave me the answer on a plate and I believe him because I left it too late.
B. Some mate on PPRuNe gave me some pointers and I used my initiative and found out the rest.
C. I asked the question on PPRuNE so surely the fact that I have tried is good enough.
D. Gave the Home of the Regiment a call and asked them (probably too late for that).
E. Researched it in the latest RAF Yearbook.

Seriously though, best of luck with your filter interview. You may wish to give Pruner Airborne_Aircrew a PM. He runs the Rock Forum Pages (probably got a really easy web address....) and will have all the info you need (as long as you want to know everything about II Sqn that is:E). He lives across the pond so watch the time difference!;)

Sam TC
11th Jul 2009, 20:00
Thanks very much. I will improve my searching techniques and try and use a bit more initiative next time!