PDA

View Full Version : Converting a .iso File

Tosh McCaber
9th Jul 2009, 14:17
I have a 7.5 Gb data .iso file on my hard drive. Since I don’t have a single sided 4Gb DVD writer to write the image onto a DVD, is there any other way of being able to open and use the .iso file?

Sprogget
9th Jul 2009, 14:22
Winrar will extract .iso files without fuss. I've saved fortunes in blank dvd's doing this for windows 7.

Saab Dastard
9th Jul 2009, 14:27
ISOBuster is a free (IIRC) utility that will do the necessary.

SD

MacBoero
9th Jul 2009, 14:44
Being a Mac user, I am used to be able to mount ISO files as accessible drives, so did look for a similar technique for Windows.

It's no quite so elegant as the Apple way, but there is a technique here : XP: Small, Free Way to Use and Mount Images (ISO files) Without Burning Them | Windows | Tech-Recipes (http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/620/xp_small_free_way_to_use_and_mount_images_iso_files_without_ burning_them/)

It has the benefit of keeping the ISO file intact, and not having to be unpacked into an unwieldy collection of files and folders.

MacBoero
9th Jul 2009, 14:52
Another one worth looking at, which I need to mention because I believe the technique I pointed to is only for XP. Vista breaks the technique, and the following might be better : SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive (http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html)

It is my understanding that the version of Demon Tools updated for Vista installs Spyware, the previous safe version only supports XP.

IO540
9th Jul 2009, 14:55
ISOmagic also works well.

Daemon Tools (which I use successfully too, for faking a CD/DVD drive) installs the silly google or yahoo toolbar but you can uninstall it. This is win2000 or XP; never tried Vista and have no intention of ever doing so :)

Mac the Knife
9th Jul 2009, 15:15
MacBoero, that's very impressive! I really thought I knew all (or most) of the MS wrinkles but that's a new one! "Chapeau!" as they say in France.

"It's no quite so elegant as the Apple way, but there is a technique here : XP: Small, Free Way to Use and Mount Images (ISO files) Without Burning Them | Windows | Tech-Recipes" (http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/620/xp_small_free_way_to_use_and_mount_images_iso_files_without_ burning_them/)

:ok:

Thanks - Mac

BTW I've always used the full isobuster 'cos you can do so much more with it, but that is a neat trick.

IO540
9th Jul 2009, 15:21
I believe that Daemon Tools does a close emulation of a CD drive, including the (limited) read speed, and has support for copy protection schemes.

This may be important for mounting some ISO images.

There are loads of ISO image mounting utilities (even M$ do one) but these will break if the application being installed is doing a bit of "timing" to see if it is being installed from a real CD drive :)

Mike-Bracknell
9th Jul 2009, 19:09
It is my understanding that the version of Demon Tools updated for Vista installs Spyware, the previous safe version only supports XP.
Close. If installed using the defaults it installs a toolbar BHO and some marketing s/w (similar to Phorm IIRC). Daemon Tools mentioned this when they made the subtle change (for revenue's sakes).

However, it does all work under Vista, and my advice on installing the latest versions is to untick every tickbox during the install process - that way you won't get a compromised PC.

HTH
Mike.