PDA

View Full Version : Help me get my head around EFTS, please!

Jackonicko
8th Jul 2009, 20:19
OK:

The RAF element of the Tri-Service JEFTS (Joint Elementary Flying Training School) moved from Barkston Heath in 1998, taking its Slingsby Fireflies with it - but leaving the RN and AAC there.

This was due to airspace congestion?

The RAF withdrew from the JEFTS in July 2003, after flying a final sortie at RAF Church Fenton on Tuesday 24th June.

Direct Entry students were then sent to ‘Direct Entry Flights’ on the University Air Squadrons (where university undergraduates already undertook an EFT syllabus), and where a surplus of flying hours and instructional capacity had been identified.

Were these Direct Entry Flights on all of the UASs, some of them, or just two of them (Yourkshire and ....?) - I've read all three versions.

The RN and AAC JEFTS elements at Barkston Heath were renamed as the DEFTS (Defence Elementary Flying Training School).

When the University Air Squadrons lost their formal training role in September 2005, this forced a major shake-up in EFTS.

Thereafter UAS flying didn't count towards EFTS, and all RAF EFT was transferred to No. 1 Elementary Flying Training School, with one squadron at each of three bases - No.1 at RAF Cranwell, No.2 at RAF Wyton and No.3 at RAF Church Fenton. These became No.s 16 (Reserve) Squadron, No.57 (Reserve) Squadron and No.85 (Reserve) Squadron, respectively.

But are these separate to the based UASs? They share aircraft, presumably, but how about instructors?

PS: When did RAF participation in NFTC end, student/instructor wise?

muppetofthenorth
8th Jul 2009, 21:15
Can't speak for all facts, but the parts relative to the UAS'.

Were these Direct Entry Flights on all of the UASs, some of them, or just two of them (Yorkshire and ....?) - I've read all three versions.

On all, certainly mine and the other co-located UAS both had DE pilots doing their EFT. [That's MASUAS and LUAS]

But are these separate to the based UASs? They share aircraft, presumably, but how about instructors?

Seperate. UAS' now have very few QFIs [depending on size, of course]. And yes, aircraft are pooled on station, but seperated on flightline - in case of Fenton, at least.

NB: this could all be wrong, but it's the observations of someone on the UAS' watching these things work around him. Pinch of salt may be required.