PDA

View Full Version : Newly qualified instructor's CV

RTN11
8th Jul 2009, 10:44
I've just completed my FI rating, and all the paperwork is being processed at Gatwick as I speak. Unfortunately, the job I had lined up has fallen through, so I need to make a CV and start going round the flying schools.

My current CV is very much set up for office based work, with employment history and qualifications being dominant. I therefore need to change it to suit an aviation employer.

Will a small flying school be interested in my GCSEs, or should I take them off the CV to make room for flying experience and dates of CPL completion etc. I'd like to keep it down to 1-2 sides of A4.

Also, what is the best approach, to drive (or even fly) from school to school with CV in hand asking if there are any jobs? Am I likely to get a better response than just phoning?

Just to make you aware, I am looking at instructing as a long term career. I really want to fly out of a small grass strip, preferably adding tail wheel ratings and possibly aerobatics instructor to my rating. I know it won't be great money, but I love it.

Whopity
8th Jul 2009, 12:25
Your best bet is to ask your FIC school where they would recommend you try, they will have a reputation and that may make you less of an unknown quantity. A CV for someone with no experience will be thin and probably of little use, you will need to rattle a few doors and see whats really available. I doubt that many schools take any notice of CVs, a face on the doorstep and something in common with them is half the battle. Best of luck.

MIKECR
8th Jul 2009, 15:06
I would probably target your local clubs and schools in the first instance. And given the current climate I think a personal visit might work much better than a cold call CV through the post. My 2 local clubs are receiving lots through the post just now, from corners far afield. Some are even even offering the 'will work for free' line. As you can imagine, that one always go's down a treat with the exisiting FI's trying to scrape a living!:ugh:

tropicalfridge
8th Jul 2009, 20:23
I don't know why people are still doing FI courses when it has been clear for many months that there are no jobs, even FTN magazine details the current surplus of CPL qualified FIs. :ugh:

All the schools are swamped with calls and CVs from FIs. Your best bet like most aviation jobs will be to get in through someone you know, or to be in the right place at the right time. Any decent school will just want to see you have the ratings, then they'll flight test you and that will be the decider. But thats all irrelevant unless they have vacancies. As mikecr says, go round the schools closest to you and perhaps you'll be lucky, expand your search until you manage it, I wish you well.