PDA

View Full Version : Type ratings

CathayBrat
7th Jul 2009, 17:01
Have just arrived in SA with a FAA ATPL to work for a company flying ZS reg aircraft in west africa. To speed the process along i have been told to get a validation on the FAA (the air law exam) and then do the type rating. My question is, how can you put a type rating on a validation (or can u?), and how do i put a SA type rating on a FAA license. Will be doing the full conversion in time, just need to get going quickly. Any thoughts, comments etc very welcome. Cheers
Brat

RICCARDOVOLANTE
7th Jul 2009, 18:18
You can not put any new type on any validation.
You must go first in the USA and doing the type ad after that go to S.A. and proceed with the validation.
May I know which airplane we are talking about?
R.V.

B200Drvr
8th Jul 2009, 09:14
Cathaybrat,
A few things to look at, on the validation, you may fly anything that is "in your log book" ie anything that you are legal to fly on your FAA ATP.
In order to add a type rating, ie anything over 12500 lbs or and turbo-jet, you will have to do a FULL type rating at a FAA recognized facility. Furthermore, no type rating issued in South Africa will be transferable to your FAA ATP. as there are no FAA DE's in South Africa.
Basically if the aeroplane you are hoping to fly requires a type rating under FAA regs, you have to do a full FAA type and have it on your FAA certificate.

Malagant
8th Jul 2009, 10:15
If you can find a FAA instructor in SA to do the type rating he can do it for you, Graham Conlyn can do FAA type ratings if he is has the FAA type on his FAA license and there is a guy at [email protected] that also does FAA IF renewals, you just can`t do a initial FAA Comm or ATP test here.