PDA

View Full Version : Garmin/Jepps HOLD's...on hold!

Jabawocky
7th Jul 2009, 10:34
Now that I am a newbie to the G530 world, I have found that the hold on an approach plate is not give as a function, nor displayed in the local Jepp database and is not available as the Garmin manual shows.

Of course all its examples are in the USA, and no doubt they have them.

Am I missing a simple part of the process or do we folk down under not deserve the same level of help in our Jepps databases?:ooh:

I/we even consulted the resident GPS guru..........and he said he had never found them either!:eek:

Yes some of you folk will be saying get out the ADF and a time piece allow for drift bla bla bla........... but thats not the point!

Cheers

J:ok:

Chimbu chuckles
7th Jul 2009, 12:09
Its not?:E

ForkTailedDrKiller
7th Jul 2009, 12:19
Once you "Activate" an approach, if the Hold is not written into the approach and present on the "Flightplan" page, its NOT going to happen for you! Press the OBS button before you get to the holding waypoint and fly the holding pattern manually. For this and other reasons, GPSSteering is of limited value in Oz.

Dr :8

Jabawocky
7th Jul 2009, 12:20
Pi$$$ing my pants....Chuckles as usual.......NO.........

you know the rules..........Inter Tempo etc:}

Seriously......has anyone found them....are we being ripped off? You often do not know what you don't know, and when taken for a ride!

J:cool:

PS Once you "Activate" an approach, if the Hold is not written into the approach and present on the "Flightplan" page, its NOT going to happen for you! Press the OBS button before you get to the holding waypoint and fly the holding pattern manually. For this and other reasons, GPSSteering is of limited value in Oz.

Dr http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/nerd.gifSo we are being ripped off????? Yes sure you can do it manually.......

So apart from the Dr and us, is it fair to assume we all have nothing to find hidden in the database?

Monopole
8th Jul 2009, 03:27
Jaba,
I only have a couple of hundred hours in machines with the 530, and I have to admit I never found out how to enter the holding pattern. I read and read the manual but it was no good. :{:{:{

27/09
8th Jul 2009, 03:53
I'm not familiar with the Jepp charts but I think I know what you are talking about.

First a question. What waypoint are you using as the start of the approach? Is it an IAF/IF or an IAF?

Here in NZ anyway the hold is depicted at the IAF/IF. If you commence the approach at an IAF the hold isn't loaded, however if you commence the approach at the IAF/IF the hold at the IAF/IF is loaded. Perhaps that is reason for what you are experiencing.

For this and other reasons, GPSSteering is of limited value in Oz.
I understand that some GPS's (I've been told the GNS 480 does it)will fly the hold including the entry procedure using GPSS, looks like you have to have the right GPS.

Jabawocky
8th Jul 2009, 05:31
Thanks for your question, we have the right GPS a 530W, and if you look at the YBOK RNAV 14 it has a hold at NC, and when selected it just has the waypoints.

The same thing at Bundy, and many others, it seems that the unit will do it if only the Jepp stuff had the hold data available.:rolleyes:

If you don't suspend the approach and let it go when approaching from overhead the field you will get a lovely tight turn back to the NI point :}.

Will keep looking but I think Monopole and FTDK's experience thus far suggests we are ripped of in Oz! :{

ForkTailedDrKiller
8th Jul 2009, 08:04
Perhaps I have just never entered a GPS/RNAV Appr via the waypoint with the hold!

Dr :8

27/09
8th Jul 2009, 09:52
I think part of your problem is the way the YBOK RNAV 14 approach is set up.

If this is a typical example of your approaches in Aussie then they are quite different to here in NZ and the USA. Our holds are at a waypoint like NI instead of NC, we generally dont have an equivalent to NC.

Take a look at these examples
http://www.aip.net.nz/pdf/NZPM_45.1_45.2.pdf (the 07 approach)
http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0907/05626R22.PDF (MMV 22 approach)
http://www.aip.net.nz/pdf/NZTO_45.1_45.2.pdf (NZTO 13 approach)

You will note that there is a hold depicted at KETIX IAF/IF on the NZPM 07 approach and at OZIER IAF/IF on the MMV 22 approach. Both of these points look like they are the equivalent of BOKNI on the YBOK 14 approach, yet your hold is at BOKNC, I am presuming that this is probably an IAF and not an IAF/IF.

The plate that I have downloaded from Air Services does not designate IAF's and IF's so it's hard to be sure which of the waypoints on your approach are IAF's and IF's.

Take a look at the GPS 13 approach at NZTO. I have used this approach since it is in the database for the version of the 430 simulator that I have. It does not show IAF's or IF's but one can assume by looking at the other plates that KARBA MIKER and LALAN are IAF's, WAIPA is an IAF/IF.

If you load the NZTO 13 approach and transition via KARBA, MIKER or LALAN there is no hold loaded into the approach in the GPS, yet if you transition via WAIPA a hold is inserted into the approach.

I am guessing that the hold waypoint must be designated an IAF/IF and that waypoint needs to be the transition point for the apporach in order for the hold to be inserted in to the approach.

If you look at page 2 of the NZPM plate that I have linked to you will see the RNAV 25 approach. It has a similar set up the the YBOK 14 approach but the hold is at UVUSI which is a point equivalent to BOKNI which I suspect is the IAF/IF for the YBOK 14 approach.

I hope I have not confused you with all of this. It's taken me a while to figure out how this all works, or at least think I have it figured out.