PDA

View Full Version : Twin GNS 430 in the Cirrus question

VH-XXX
7th Jul 2009, 05:30
Can someone tell me how to *separate* GNS 430's in the Cirrus set-up so that when you change waypoints on one unit, it doesn't change on the other? You change the second one and about 10 seconds later the first one changes and if you're not ready and you have the auto-pilot on you all of a sudden might just do a 180. Hoping it's just a button I missed.

Eg. I would have thought that you *should* be able to select Waypoint X on Unit 1 and Waypoint Y on unit 2, then when you reach waypoint X on unit one, press the NAV source on the left screen to GPS2 and away you go. (alternatively you could put in a route)

Also, without doing this I can't see a way to put a second point in to display a distance to a second waypoint simultaneously as the first. Of course I can just select nearest from the Avidyne but that defeats the purpose particularly if the required field is a long way away.

FL440
7th Jul 2009, 06:43
Gday!

Yeah its pretty simply, the option your looking for is called 'Crossfill'

From memory the option is under the FPL menu, ill try and find my GNS 430 manual and have a good look but crossfill is the main option your looking for.

Cheers :ok:

tmpffisch
7th Jul 2009, 09:05
FL440 sounds like he's on the money. Page 32 of the manual. Crossfill from the FPL or default nav page.

27/09
7th Jul 2009, 09:19
Turn off the cross fill, its on page one (FLIGHT PLANNING) of the AUX page group.

(alternatively you could put in a route) Yep that's the best way. Makes life easy especially if you have GPSS. Your method is a bit haphazard.

You can get your distance to the second waypoint information if you have the waypoint in the route (flight plan). Presuming since you have an interest in its postion from you, you will be going to that waypoint at some stage of that flight .

Open up the first page (ACTIVE FLIGHT PLAN) of the flight plan group (press "FPL" to get to the flight plan group) and you will see distance and bearing info for all waypoints of the flight plan.

As a suggestion why don't you download the simulator that Garmin has for this unit. It's a great way to learn how it works without having to burn holes in the sky. It's here on the Garmin website.
Free 400/500 Series & GNS 480 Simulators (http://www8.garmin.com/include/SimulatorPopup.html)

VH-XXX
7th Jul 2009, 11:02
Thanks for that guys.

I have the simulator but of course it's only a single unit so I didn't know what the setting was.

Someone before me must have left it turned on.

I like to alternate between the 2 units with different waypoints in each so that I can chop and change between them with the AP.

ForkTailedDrKiller
7th Jul 2009, 12:24
Are you GPS/RNAV endorsed XXX?

The golden rule of GPS navigation is ..... LOAD A FLIGHTPLAN!

Dr :8

VH-XXX
7th Jul 2009, 13:07
Nah, am 110% conversant with the 296, was just wondering why the 430's were slaved together and how to turn it off. Don't think that feature would be in a GPS course / endorsement as not many aircraft have the twin units in them.

FL440
8th Jul 2009, 00:35
ALso forgot to mention,
The option will be on GPS 1 (top one) as thats the default setting.

Cirrus made this a default option so that in the unlikely event that the number 1 failed you can revert straight away to the #2.

What is a good thing to do though, is to load your flightplan into GPS1 and then you can do manual crossfills to the #2. This way you can use your #2 however you like but if its a bad day at the office you can immediately revert to #2 and the flight plan! :ok:

Have fun is it a SR22? The best single engine aircraft i eve flew, and better than most twins ive flown also! :ok:

VH-XXX
8th Jul 2009, 01:16
Just an SR20 but I've flown both. I question the need for a 22 unless you are carrying 4 pob as I'm not keen on paying another $100K+ for more horses in the same aircraft. See pics in Photos thread.