PDA

View Full Version : Shobdon - early PPL

Okavango
6th Jul 2009, 14:56
Hi - I'm an early PPL and was going to use a landing voucher for Shobdon (seems as good a reason as any to plan a flight). How suitable is the airfield for an early PPL?

Genghis the Engineer
6th Jul 2009, 15:39
Painless, enjoy yourself. Just read up on it, follow advice in Pooleys/AFE, phone to check conditions and you should be fine.

G

pbrookes
6th Jul 2009, 15:53
A lovely airfield, friendly air/ground and a good café! :ok:

skyranger912
6th Jul 2009, 16:14
Shobdon is a very nice place indeed, you will have no problems.

I happended to first go there on a very very busy day, and ended up
accepting the short southerly grass runway whilst two other planes
were on finals to the two other runways.

In other words, it can get very busy, but don't let that put you off.

I discovered Welshpool the other day, nice hard runway, no traffic,
no problem (although it was tricky to see from afar), but not much to see.

Simon C
~~~~~~

englishal
6th Jul 2009, 16:28
Ditto...

Avoid Sundays though. Last time I was there on a sunday there was us joining overhead, one behind, one on final one on crosswind and one downwind. Plus there is a mmodified circuit for noise abaitment. Otherwise a very nice airfield, very friendly, good food and good runway. You'd be fine as a low houres PPL - just remember when it is FISO you need a clearance to taxy.

lastgasp
6th Jul 2009, 16:53
Just realised Englishal has already mentioned it - but worth repeating - please take note of the noise abatement circuit. Shobdon is an excellent place and doesn't want to upset it's neighbours.

DX Wombat
6th Jul 2009, 17:40
If 09 is in use the circuits are RIGHT HAND to avoid the glider circuit to the North of the field and when well down Final you may or may not pass over the farm machinery set out for auction - depends when the next one is taking place. The fence at the approach end of 09 (which for some daft reason gives me the creeps :( ) is made from easily destructible plastic mesh.

avonflyer
6th Jul 2009, 19:35
Nice place but read up on the circuit layout before you go and perhaps look on google earth or something simular to pick out the landmarks that you will use. Downwind is quite far out and it is possible to get "inside" others that are out wider. Having said that I went there several times during my training including it being a destination on my X-country solo test......... so it should be no problem for you.