PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar and Air NZ in slanging match

wessex19
6th Jul 2009, 14:13
By AAP
A slanging match has broken out between Jetstar and Air New Zealand after the Australian airline claimed its troubled Kiwi launch had been sabotaged by dirty tricks.

The Qantas subsidiary has had a bumpy ride since the launch of its New Zealand schedule last month, with complaints of late and cancelled flights, rude staff and dozens of New Zealanders turned away for failing to check in early enough.

The airlines started trading barbs after Jetstar chief executive Bruce Buchanan accused Air New Zealand of attempting to sabotage his airline, which has replaced Qantas in New Zealand with 84 domestic return flights a week.

Mr Buchanan told the Herald on Sunday newspaper the Kiwi airline had circulated nasty rumours about the planes being old and unserviced, the pilots poorly trained and the flights overbooked, because it was worried it would lose its monopoly on the domestic market.

"We've experienced some tough competition before but we've never experienced someone trying to sabotage our business, or specifically go after us to try and discredit us," Mr Buchanan said.

He said the overbooking rumour was "a complete fallacy that our competitors are spreading throughout the media".

"It wasn't something we were prepared for and we are surprised at the dirty tricks they are playing," the Jetstar chief said.

"They have a dedicated team of individuals running a campaign to try and ruin our launch."

But Air New Zealand wasn't taking the claims lying down, hitting back with calls that Kiwis would "see through (Jetstar's) conspiracy theories".

Short haul airline group general manager Bruce Parton said Mr Buchanan's words were the "actions of a desperate man".

"Surely, Mr Buchanan doesn't expect Kiwis to believe that we are responsible for his Aussie airline's woes?" he told AAP.

"We didn't dream up his draconian check-in rules, his schedule that often cannot be met, his endless schedule changes and his decision to operate ill-equipped aircraft to Queenstown that cannot achieve the same punctuality as Air NZ's fleet."

Throwing it back, he said Jetstar "only has itself to blame for its own bad PR and the 'one star airline' tag some have given it".

"Surely, Mr Buchanan learned the same childhood lesson we all did - don't blame others for your mistakes."

Ultimately though, Mr Buchanan said took responsibility for the faltering Kiwi start, admitting there were some customers who hadn't had the best Jetstar experience, "and for that we're apologetic".

tartare
6th Jul 2009, 20:55
Surprise, surprise.
NZ up to its old tricks again eh...

27/09
6th Jul 2009, 21:20
Old news, been commented on here already, http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/377468-jet-nz-otp-4.html#post5043530

Split Flap
7th Jul 2009, 01:07
Jetstar make a hash of their startup op in NZ and it's all AIRNZ's fault??

:ugh:

Artificial Horizon
7th Jul 2009, 02:32
Certainly Jetstar did c*ck-up the initial start up but I am also sure there are some rumours being circulated that have to have started from ANZ. I have had emails from friends saying that they have 'heard' that Jetstar are using 'old' aircraft (older than 'pencil jet' 737's:=), are hiring inexperienced overseas pilots (I know a couple from British Airways, Emirates and Cathay. Not exactly inexperienced) Smacks of a bit of a dirty tricks campaign and the line is being pedalled by the ANZ friendly media:=

Split Flap
7th Jul 2009, 04:26
None of which would happen in Aussie if AirNZ were to set up camp there of course.

I'm sure there are all sorts of rumours floating around, but seriously doubt if AirNZ has "started" them.

belowMDA
7th Jul 2009, 05:14
In reality A/H I can give you a pretty plausible decode of those rumours.

Firstly as to the "old" aircraft situation: Jetstar have taken flack for their lack of reliability operating through NZQN due, in part, to their lack of RNP capability. The media equate lack of technical spec with old age. They don't realise that these LCCs spec their machines to the lowest possible to get by, in order to save money. Air NZ are fully aware that they can hardly criticise Jetstar over the age of their aircraft and I have never seen them do so. Air NZ can however, rightfully point to their lack of investment and how that has a flow on affect to their operation.

As to their crews lack of experience; the only place I have seen that comment from is ALPA.

Now regarding your "Air NZ friendly media" comment; a few years ago Air NZ went through a similar patch of news coverage that Qantas has recently been through. It would be a bit of a stretch to call the coverage they got as being Qantas friendly. In both cases I think it is more a 'kick a dog while it is down to get ratings' mentality.

Let's call a spade a spade: They've screwed up and are trying the old chestnut of blaming it all on the big incumbent. They are the architects of their own problems, and they won't fix them until they own up to their own shortcomings.

27/09
7th Jul 2009, 08:47
None of which would happen in Aussie if AirNZ were to set up camp there of course.

No, not it you don't count the 1987 open skies agreement which the Aussies reneged on and the Ansett fiasco leading up to 2001 which had plenty of outside interference from some Aussie quarters.

ZK-NSN
7th Jul 2009, 09:12
They have a dedicated team of individuals running a campaign to try and ruin our launch."
Thats not a very nice way for jetstar to talk about their own staff.

because it was worried it would lose its monopoly on the domestic market.
Last time I looked AirNZ didnt have a monopoly on the domestic market.

Sounds like the old " we suck b@lls and its all your fault" approach.

Oldlearner
7th Jul 2009, 10:28
Rumour has it that some airports services have been not paid for on time. NZ CAA is also whistling. Good on you Jetstar

apache
7th Jul 2009, 12:37
Rumour has it that some airports services have been not paid for on time. NZ CAA is also whistling. Good on you Jetstar

ahhh... yes! BUT... were they in the queue 30 mins prior to billing time?

framer
7th Jul 2009, 13:48
Rumour has it that some airports services have been not paid for on time.
Slight drift....I think that should happen more often. So many times we pay for a turn-around service and are delayed due lack of ground equipment or lack of staff. I think the airlines should simply refuse to pay the fee for that turn-around because the service wasn't provided (or pay a reduced amount).

haughtney1
7th Jul 2009, 18:23
Sad to see all the bleating in the NZ herald..and all the crowing and "told you so" rhetoric on here...I mean honestly what do people expect with a start up operation?
The NZ travelling public can't expect silver plated service on a Lion Red budget.
If you travel Lo-Co then you get what you pays for...personally I have ZERO sympathy for people that don't have the gumption to read the terms and conditions...turn up in time..and then bleat in a shrill voice "its not my fault I'm stupid...its the airlines fault!"
Online check in..I love it, no hassle, pick your seat if you want to pay for it, and best of all, you are responsible for your own actions..fantastic!
Wake up people...if you want consistently low lead-in fares, this is the way forward!

27/09
7th Jul 2009, 20:21
I mean honestly what do people expect with a start up operation?

I'm mean honestly "Were they really a start up operation?"

waren9
7th Jul 2009, 21:14
Haughtney1

Thats seems to be exactly the trouble mate. They arent getting what they paid for.

Being in the check-in queue in the allotted 30min prior and having check-in close in front of you. If it takes them more than 30 min to process their own pax, they should nominate a longer checkin time.

Pay for a ticket, show up on time, and dont travel. WTFs that about?

Using VH registered planes with Australian AOC does not a start up make. All they have done is open an Auckland base.

Giving it another name and crewing it with another employment contract is a whole other issue.