PDA

View Full Version : The People of Wootton Bassett are Just The Best!

Roger Sofarover
6th Jul 2009, 13:26
Thank You yet again to the wonderful people of Wotton Bassett who as always, line the streets to honour our fallen. The whole town has taken it upon themselves to ensure that the men and women who have fallen, and in particular their families, are shown the respect the entire nation should give.

If anybody from that magnificent little village near RAF Lyneham reads this, a most sincere thank you to you all.

Cornerstone958
6th Jul 2009, 13:54
There are also a number of Vets from conflicts long forgotten who travel from the Gloucester Stoud & Bristol areas to pay their respects. To the people of WB 'thank you'.

Shack37
6th Jul 2009, 13:56
Most heartily agree. May the day soon come when it's no longer necessary.
s37

andyy
6th Jul 2009, 14:29
IIRC the Island of Malta was awarded the George Cross to collectively recognise the efforts of its citizens in supporting the war effort.

Perhaps the Town of Wootton Bassett should be awarded the OBE or something.

Charlie Time
6th Jul 2009, 16:09
I agree, the response of WB is exceptional and most fitting for the welcome home one would expect for the fallen. At some appropriate stage it would be nice to think that this unwavering support will be officially recognized.

Thank you everyone from WB and those that make the effort to be there.:D

adrian mole
6th Jul 2009, 16:32
The Town as a whole was preseented with a Parchment Scroll showing the Tri Service Crests on 12th October last year. There was also a parade of bands from all three services at the same time and a flypast of a C130 & C17 to say thank you. The town seems to be happy with what has happened at the moment and in fact flinched at the suggestion renaming roads Heroes Way etc...

LEE BRITT
6th Jul 2009, 18:14
Well done WB. :D:D:ok:

Icare9
6th Jul 2009, 18:34
I too, want to register my appreciation of Wootton Bassett. We were there last month (for more pleasant reason) and were moved by the respect shown to those returning in less happy circumstances.

I also support Roger Sofarover in his response to the pedant Tankertashnav.
What a petty comment, and adds nothing to this forum. If ever there was a need to hold first time posts, this is it.

A bit overkill perhaps, but in view of the carping comment, somewhat justified.

To get back on track, WB, I salute you all!

Edit: Just to clarify, the objectionable post has now been removed by the Mods, this is NOT aimed at Tankertrashnav, but at the annoying troll who tried to use a similar tag. Thanks Mods for prompt action!!

The Real Slim Shady
6th Jul 2009, 20:12
He was spotted as Spheriod on another thread doing exactly the same so thought he would pop over here and try again.

Well done WB, however it is spelt :D:D:D:D

spheroid
6th Jul 2009, 20:27
I've just seen the news thread on the TV... Like many prooners, I wish that the good people of WB didn't have to show this response but I truly do feel very proud to be British when I see these people giving up their time and energy. It makes us all feel very humble.

Thank you WB.

Tankertrashnav
6th Jul 2009, 22:00
I also support Roger Sofarover in his response to the pedant Tankertashnav.
What a petty comment, and adds nothing to this forum. If ever there was a need to hold first time posts, this is it.

A bit overkill perhaps, but in view of the carping comment, somewhat justified.

Could either of you explain this, I havent a clue what this is referring to

By the way what's the reference to Spheroid? Is this identity theft? :confused:

Ivor Fynn
6th Jul 2009, 22:21
a wind up merchant with a name one letter different to your name was being an idiot. Him and his posts have been deleted.

Ivor

c130jbloke
7th Jul 2009, 07:01
Tankertashnav

Read the name again - carefully.

Whatever the comment was, it has been deleted by the mods and the real TTN does not strike me as the sort to disrespect a thread of this nature:ok:.

However, and the username is the clue, once again this sad inadequate to§§er who feels the need to "hijack" other peoples usernames to spread his pathetic bile has struck for at least the third time. Myself, TTN, and Minigundiplomat are victims that I know of.

Whoever you are, pi§§ off. Take your sorry ass and go be best mates with a bottle of meths you :mad:.

PS: I have lived in Bassett for several years previously. Mods, feel free to take this down, but please have a look at this idiot too.

Bladdered
7th Jul 2009, 07:40
WB population is also swelled significantly by members of RAFA and the British Legion from North Somerset, North Wiltshire, South Glos. Thanks to all of you who honour our fallen comrades - "We will remember them".

Ed

TonkaEngO
7th Jul 2009, 08:29
Surely it is time for WB to become Royal WB?

barnstormer1968
7th Jul 2009, 08:50
When I saw just how many people turned out I was very very humbled indeed. Even shops emptied of staff and customers!
This made my chest swell, but also saddens me at the need for this turn out.
I was glad to see former servicemen there in their berets, and also liked the comments from onlookers that it made no difference in regard to the rank of the fallen, as they were all someone's son, husband etc.

As a side issue, I was kind of pleased not to see any of our shameful politicians there (sorry to mention them). This is a serious and sombre occasion, and not one to be "used" for electoral purposes by some publicity seeking MP.

Tankertrashnav. I owe you an apology. When the comment was posted in the similar name to you, I thought it was you, and that you had become a bitter and twisted old c**t! There were several expletives thrown in your general direction.
I am glad it was not you, as it seemed totally out of charactor. Accept my apologies, and be sure the expletives have been re aimed

Tankertrashnav
7th Jul 2009, 08:52
Thanks Barnstormer, Icare9 and others for clearing up the identity theft business, and I see he has been doing it to others - what a ratbag!

Surely it is time for WB to become Royal WB?

Yes Tonka, good idea, we've got Lyme Regis, Bognor Regis etc, why not WB as well?

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
7th Jul 2009, 17:06
How about inviting them all to the Lyneham Families Day - Sat 8th August

ZH875
7th Jul 2009, 19:09
As RAF Lyneham is scheduled to close and be removed from the active list of RAF stations, why not rename it 'RAF Wooton Bassett' for its last few years of service.

pzu
7th Jul 2009, 20:41
WB -a suitable honour

Perhaps the RBL could organise some form of 'thanks' during the Festival of Remembrance in November

This could even include acknowledgement from the Royal Box

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

Faithless
7th Jul 2009, 20:41
A strange thing happens when I see this..A freak storm blows lots of dust into my eyes which causes them to water at such respect.

God bless all of you who turn out to respect our Glorious Dead.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Albert Another
7th Jul 2009, 21:23
Each time I see news broadcasts from Wooty B, on one of the many sad days, it brings a lump in my throat. To the people of Wooty B :D

Duncan D'Sorderlee
7th Jul 2009, 21:33
Just to add my thanks to the good folk of WB.

Hurrah! You are the very best. Thank you.

Duncs:ok:

Winch-control
8th Jul 2009, 10:30
I would like to add my thanks to those of Wootton Bassett that turn out, what seems to be all too frequently.
Come rain or shine you are their in support of our fallen. My thanks.

We owe our fallen a deep debt.

We also respect those that understand what it is like to know those that have falllen; they are family, friends and compatriots, in both peace and war.

My heart felt thanks to them all.

SX983
14th Jul 2009, 10:34
Sadly looks like todays events are going to be completely swamped by the media,who are already knee deep in the High Street.I cant help feeling the R44 which noisily orbited the town on Friday in a most unwelcome manner is a rotary wing asset which could be more usefully utilised elsewhere.Any chance that Lyneham ATC could deny zone transit this afternoon?

vernon99
14th Jul 2009, 11:37
Have to agree, the helicopter was a big intrusion last week, and not something that should be repeated! I also have a beef with the photographers who when there is a minutes silence, all you can hear and see is them moving around and click click of cameras, SHOW SOME RESPECT. There is plenty of opportunity to take photos. I guess they are just there for the money.:=

Al R
14th Jul 2009, 16:21
Whats the story here? The people of WB or the dead?

Sorry, all this talk of people coming from miles around to gather at Bassett makes me a bit queezy. I guess I'll get flamed because of what I've written so I'd like to make it clear that I am not being disrespectful at all to anyone who just stops doing what they're doing, wherever it is, and just bow their heads for a second or so to show their respects.

I just think that this is all a bit mawkish, a bit media driven, a little distasteful and I don't know, not genuine anymore. It has become a sideshow where some people go to be seen. Someone in the business remarked to me; 'Its the Songs of Praise factor'. Our dead men and women are worth more in their own right than being 'extras', on a media generated 115 second segment.

There is a lot of merit in 'If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing' so I'll take that one on the chin and it is not my intention to be disrespectful to anyone. Just a jibe at a crappy media who reduce everything of value to superficial, faddish human interest. This has little to do with generating genuine respect.

Grabbers
14th Jul 2009, 16:57
SX983

In answer to your question. It did.

Ivor Fynn
14th Jul 2009, 17:00
The media frenzy is realy quite unwelcome in my oppinion. Pitch up, shut up, pay your respects and leave, no need for blah, blah, blah from the media.

Max respect to the residents of WB and the surrounding area.

Ivor

SX983
14th Jul 2009, 17:16
I agree with what you say,it has become much less spontaneous,and more of a media frenzy.Right now the main car park has been gridlocked for nearly an hour,and as I type this the street is still full of news teams desperate for interviews with anyone who can be bothered to talk to them.On the plus side,as a guy from the Army News team pointed out to me earlier in the day,any publicity which highlights the pathetic lack of resources for our front line guys has got to be a good thing.

Having stood in WB High Street in rain,snow,ice,howling gales and brilliant sunshine I find the current media attention pretty intolerable,but take comfort in the fact that there is always a strong nucleus of locals who are there for entirely the right reasons.I have seen many of the British Legion guys patiently standing in bitterly cold weather for hours on end and have no doubt that the press will quickly decamp to cover the next bit of sensationalism,such is the limited attention span of the average citizen of this fine country these days.

The notion that the town should be renamed 'Royal' Wootton Bassett or any other similar outlandish or frankly looney suggestions fill me with horror.

We are simply doing the right thing.

racedo
14th Jul 2009, 17:29
Think its time to put a stop to what WB is doing.

Tell the media that the circus is over and let them go away.

Cordon off the town where repatriations are taking place and then carry on as they were before remembering respectfully the fallen.

Media are making it a circus so tell them its over they will go elsewhere.

C130 Techie
14th Jul 2009, 19:01
I agree that the media presence is excessive intrusive and unwelcome. Last week they were arriving and setting up at 7am, hours before the cortege was due to pass through. It has steadily escalated over the months from a few local press photographers to the full media circus ith outside broadcast units with satellite dishes etc.

The people of Wootton Bassett do what they do out of respect for the fallen and in support of our Armed Forces, sentiments that appear to be sadly lacking among some of our leaders and in some elements of the population. I would like to believe that those who choose to travel in from the surrounding area also do so for those same reasons. I have nothing but respect for those, many elderly, who turn out in all weathers to pay their respects. The normally short period of traffic problems caused are a miniscule price to pay when compared to the ultimate sacrifice made by those being repatiated. Todays traffic chaos in the town was unusual but then hopefully so was the size of the occasion.

The general feeling among my neighbours is that any changing of street names or the status of the town is not in the spirit of the occasion.

HaveQuick2
14th Jul 2009, 19:29
On the one hand I agree that there is something slightly unseemly and intrusive in the media presence in WB.

But, surely this type of coverage gets the forces and their sacrifices into the public mind, and this must be a good thing, despite the awful circumstances that brings the coverage about.

It was only a few months ago that we were banging on about how the public don't know about, hear about, or care about what the forces are doing in AFG.

If this coverage pricks the public conciousness a bit, and heightens their awareness even slightly, then as long as the coverage is not overly intrusive it is surely worth putting up with it.

My fervent hope though is that the media coverage will stop as there are will be no more repatriations, but perhaps that is just my heart ruling my head.

Best wishes to all in WB, and good luck to all in AFG.

vernon99
14th Jul 2009, 19:41
I am all for media coverage, and anything that highlights what is going on is good, my gripe is the way it is covered, there seems to be very little tact by the press, as demonstrated by the helicopter last week. If it is true that it was denied access today is good. The press should be as unobtrusive as possible, and they should definitely show more respect. :*

Al R
14th Jul 2009, 19:41
HaveQuick,

In principle, yes. In general, yes. But in practice, like this..? No. Nothing goes out of fashion quicker than fashion and the fact that this is a news story now in its own right will bite everyone on the arse as the media gets tired of it all and looks for something new. Then, numbers will fall and people will say 'Tssk, support is falling' or whatever. It has an almost stage managed feel to it - people almost playing up for the cameras. A year or two ago now, a former driver got killed and as his hearse made its final journey up (I think) the M40 he was shepherded in by his former workmates in their rigs. That, even now, brings a lump to my throat.

Lets care for these people when they can't care for themselves and lets show them that in death, their memories are still cherished. But lets do it in our way. Recording something for the sake of it, and suggesting it is being done in the name of 'respect' is a little like Munro bagging - its a little like knowing the price of everything, but the value of nothing. If this is the best our media can do, then its little wonder that when I see coverage like this, I think 'Michael Jackson'. Incidentally, I saw a Regt Sgt salute a civvy coffin in Stamford the other week as the hearse passed over the bridge. You don't see that much anymore either.

Wander00
14th Jul 2009, 19:56
Ref 35, but good to see, like those who raise their hat when passing a War Memorial

Al R
14th Jul 2009, 20:23
Indeed. :cool:

OmegaV6
14th Jul 2009, 21:17
Perhaps the press could be made to "share" the coverage .. so just one TV feed and a limited number of "stills" cameras. This would allow the rest of the nation to share the coverage without the highstreet/carparks being turned into a mess of cables and trucks, and some dignity would return as fewer bods would be sticking microphones/cameras at anyone they like.

There are many, many, "normal" folks in Bassett who have been doing this, and will continue to do it, regardless of the press intrusions. It would be nice if someway could be found to allow them to continue with less external pressure.

Finaly, if Lyneham ATC were in anyway responsible for the lack of helicopters today .. my very grateful thanks to you all.

Dengue_Dude
14th Jul 2009, 22:19
On a personal basis, I heartily approve what WB populace are doing.

I abhor what the press are doing, but understand IF it makes it easier for NOK to cope - a form of closure.

It looks like it's galloping towards some form of mass hysteria though and I am CERTAIN that is not what the genuine people want, only the Media as it makes 'good' television et al.

I most certainly don't subscribe to 'glorious dead', there isn't a lot of glory in what happened to these poor souls. I have always thought it more difficult for those 'left behind' as they had to deal with it long after the event.

Best of luck guys and girls, hope you all come home soon.

airmail
14th Jul 2009, 23:14
Just for the record before I get into the detail of my post, I joined the RAF after school but didn't stay long as I was too immature at the time to be an asset. I have nothing to do with the media, in fact I have seen from personal experience how they can cause immense pain without due diligence. I would also like to offer my condolences to every member of the Forces who has fallen in the line of duty.

Having said that, the only reason that I have come to know about the respect that is given to our fallen by the people of WB is through the media - and by that I am including this site as the internet is media. As PPRuNe is quoted often by many serious media organisations, this site cannot exclude itself from the maelstrom even if identities are hidden.

I totally agree with the comment about having one media organisation covering the event (and I especially agree with Lyneham stopping the helicopter flying overhead whether it was for operational reasons or not), but I can't help felling that there are some serious double standards occuring here.

There have been numerous threads in this forum over the last few years about the British public not supporting the Armed Forces in their current role. At this moment in time - and this is only happening with the media be it with high profile people involved in HfH or coverage of the sad events of today (and other days like it) - this tide has been turned dramatically. I've just watched the coverage on the BBC website and they are reporting that people lined the route from Lyneham to Oxford. Whilst the people of WB deserve every credit, how would this change in public opinion have occurred without the media?

I firmly believe that we either support our forces or we don't, they are asked to do things that I thought I was capable of but wasn't which gives me the utmost respect for them all irrespective of service. So the question that I ask is what do you want? Is it the respect of the British Public as is happening now or is it back to the days of hearing about people in swimming pools complaining about injured soldiers being there.

As a civilian, I have no answer to this but I would be interested to know peoples' thoughts.

David

Al R
15th Jul 2009, 03:38
Omega,

Agreed.

Airmail,

.. and again - our local towns are all turning out in force and its good to see. Making sure that our Armed Forces remain above the foibles of public opinion, yet embedded within public affection is a tough balancing act. We've all seen the Bud ad I suppose, which is a beaut. I suppose it represents the spontaneity which now seems to be lacking in Bassett (and I don't mean to be disrespectful to those who old soldiers, sailors and airmen who polish their shoes and turn out with metronome like dedication or those who simply see events unfolding stop what they're doing for 5 seconds to say a silent thank you).

YouTube - Budweiser Commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osTrMe76kes)

But I don't think its being hypocritical to try and steer things in a particular direction - coverage for the sake of coverage isn't the B all and end all but we only see that with hindsight. You only have to sift through some of the current 'on the front line' TV trash to recognise that - but it all serves a purpose for different segments. Channel 5 might make the serving blokes cringe with shots of birds flirting in air conditioned slipper city offices, but it gets the yoof interested. In a similar way, the WB coverage might be a little tasteless to some (it is to me) but you I think, make the very valid point that to the bereaved, this is probably a vital part of the grieving process and we serve their interests too.

So I guess the only thing we can do - is look back in 5 years and try and survey the bigger picture and see what has been achieved overall and say 'well, that might have worked, that didn't - but this overall, is what we're left with'. And overall, the swing has been a positive one, yes. But the idea that WB is 'rewarded' with a 'Royal' epithet makes me want to hurl though, sorry. I agree with the point that it would be nice to see Royalty at some burials and ceremonies too but once you start going down that route though, you devalue the whole process - again though, what would the families of the bereaved want? The fact that we don't see politicians at any of them is indicative of how out of touch the political class is with the country.

I thank god we haven't yet seen a politician walking at the head of a cortege yet. There would be a lynching.

GANNET FAN
15th Jul 2009, 08:25
What is particularly satisfying to see, is that the street lining crowds are not being policed or barriers put up to hem them in. That's the very last thing one wants to happen.

If people want to get a bit closer to the cortege to throw flowers, as happened yesterday, let them. For heaven's sake keep this amazing spectacle as low key as possible.

Postman Plod
15th Jul 2009, 08:30
Airmail, I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm a civvy, I'm not a local, and I wouldn't be anywhere near as aware of this without the media (although I was aware of it). The whole country would not be coming out in support of the forces in general without the media - Afghanistan and Iraq were becoming forgotten wars!

Yes, the coverage is perhaps tasteless and gratuitous, but I think you need to seperate the press from the public - they're not the same thing.

I doubt that many of the people turning up at Wooton Bassett are doing it because the media are there. Yes, they may be turning up because the media have brought it to their attention, but I think they are genuinely doing it for the right reasons. WB may have become the focal point for people wishing to show their support - I don't see that anything is wrong with that.

perhaps the town needs to put forward a request to the media to restrict their coverage to a shared feed and a few cameras? You're not telling them to bugger off, but you are telling them to respect the dignity of the moment. Low key - yes. Invisible, no.

As for the politicians... Al R - thats most likely exactly why the politicians wouldn't turn out! Anyway, why would anyone want this turned into a party political press spinning event?! All I can say is THANK GOD the politicians are keeping their damn noses out of it!

Tankertrashnav
15th Jul 2009, 16:38
We've all seen the Bud ad I suppose, which is a beaut.

Whether you think the goings on at WB are over the top or not (and they will inevitably fade in time), they have to be better than what went on in the US (and Australia) 40 years ago when returning troops were routinely spat on in public as if they themselves were responsible for the Vietnam fiasco

Wander00
15th Jul 2009, 18:03
Just watched the Budweiser ad - that dust is around again

Al R
16th Jul 2009, 05:54
Tanker,

Agreed. But we will never see the likes of that behaviour again anyway.

Then, society was full of orphans who had their dads kiled in war and boy, were they angry. Now, we have kids who cry if they have their PS3's taken off them. Add to that, in this Socialist dreamworld where expression is forbidden, its soon going to be an jailable offence to gaze at someone with anything more intrusive than a quizzical glance.

November4
16th Jul 2009, 17:18
Just seen this in the weekly update e-mail from my MP James Gray

Letter published in today’s Guardian
Sir

We who represent the people of the town of Wootton Bassett, are honoured and humbled that the way we have paid our respects to our fallen soldiers in every weather and for upwards of two years now has touched people in the way it has, and that in a way we stand proxy for the grief of the nation.

But we are simply the ordinary people of a very special town standing still and quiet for a few moments in a mark of sorrow and gratitude for those who have given their lives in service of the Nation. We welcome people from all over the country who come to join us, and we are proud that the national media has broadcast our moment's stillness to the world, although we'd be grateful for slightly less intrusive media coverage in the future. We welcome visiting generals and senior politicians, if they would like to come, and simply mingle with the crowds. But we'd prefer no pomp, nor militarization. It’s the people of the town; no more nor less than that.

What’s more, as a town, we'd much prefer that there was no further discussion of any recognition for what we do, or at least certainly not until its all over and that happy day has arrived when there are to be no more of these "repatriations." We really do NOT want to be "Royal Wootton Bassett", nor be awarded the GC, nor rename our High Street in any way at all. It’s not about us. Its about our fallen brothers and sisters, husbands and friends. The power and pathos of the occasion is its simplicity; its peace and quiet in an angry world. And we, the people of Wootton Bassett, want it to stay exactly like that.

Yours

James Gray, MP for North Wiltshire (07831 552 529)
Steve Bucknell, Mayor of Wootton Bassett
Maurice Baker, President, Wootton Bassett Royal British Legion
Chris Wannell, Leader, Wootton Bassett Town Council

Gweedo
16th Jul 2009, 17:45
The people of Wotten Basset have gone up in my respect and estimation even more.

Such dignity shown by the townsfolk is a lesson to us all.

Al R
17th Jul 2009, 07:20
Re; letter. Well said.

SVK
17th Jul 2009, 08:41
I think the letter above is a perfect riposte to this debate. Yet again a simple, dignified response by those who represent Wootton Bassett.

NURSE
17th Jul 2009, 08:56
Hear Hear. The sooner the people of Wootton Bassett can stop having to go through this ritual the better. A very Deep thank you to them.

PPRuNe Pop
17th Jul 2009, 08:59
I think we can close this thread on that note.

Must be nice people - that's for sure.