PDA

View Full Version : Ppl Questions Bank

CaptainKing
6th Jul 2009, 11:52
Hi there,

I am wanting to start with my PPL subjects and so have been looking around online for any question banks. Could anyone suggest some, please, as I may have missed it while searching. Preferably not FAA.

Much appreciated
Cheers

quant
6th Jul 2009, 13:05
AirQuiz - Online Practice Examinations for Pilots! (http://www.airquiz.com/)

Definetly get yourself a copy of the ppl confuser. I personally have never used the airquiz website but others have.

:p

Keygrip
6th Jul 2009, 15:14
...and definately get yourself a dictionary and look up the words "Professional" and "Private".

FFS!

jxk
6th Jul 2009, 15:26
Definitely :ok:

Crash one
6th Jul 2009, 16:18
Definitely defined as the definitive definition.
Apart from that, the PPL confuser is all I used. An up to date version should have all the current questions.

worrab
6th Jul 2009, 16:40
Don't think the confuser has caught up with the flight information services changes.

W

Crash one
6th Jul 2009, 16:48
Possibly not, and neither will the question papers. Point is, what do the Schools teach, especially RT practical?

Keygrip
6th Jul 2009, 21:34
The RT practical and written papers are current with the new ATSOCAS.

In standard CAA fashion, the RT written papers are full of errors - but they are current errors.

Greg2041
12th Aug 2009, 11:34
What do I need to know about the "new" flight information services stuff? Any links or brief explanation would be appreciated, 'cause it ain't in my book!

Greg

shaun.s
12th Aug 2009, 12:06
There's a tutorial thing online at
Air Space Safety: ATSOCAS 917 (http://www.airspacesafety.com/content/ATSOCAS.asp)
that explains it, or your flying club may have it on CD somewhere, I think the CAA sent a load of them out when the changes were introduced.

Greg2041
12th Aug 2009, 21:20
Great stuff. Thanks. Do you know which bit is tested in the exams?

Keygrip
13th Aug 2009, 03:00
Excellent question, Greg.

Make fully sure that you don't put any extra seconds into learning this stuff than the minimum you need to scrape a pass.

I'm sure you have better things to do with your time than actually reading and understanding.

DBChopper
13th Aug 2009, 13:00
And it's exactly that sneering tone of Keygrip's reply that means I spend little time browsing PPRuNe these days... :rolleyes:

Keygrip, if you bumped into Greg in person rather than from behind your keyboard, and he asked you the same question, would you give him the same reply or might you be slightly more reasonable? Did you bash the keys really hard while replying? :D

Almost everyone in the world who has ever taken an exam has wanted to know which elements of a subject are most likely to come up so that they can allocate their study time accordingly.

Greg, it's unlikely your PPL exams will reflect the ATSOCAS changes this soon but you do need to go through the CD and make yourself fully aware of the ATC services available, particularly with regard to VFR flights. If you are like me, they will probably only fully sink in once you have used the services and that will probably be with your instructor beside you :cool:

Keygrip
13th Aug 2009, 14:01
Your darn right I would, DB - I'm tired of seeing endless student after student desperately searching for ways to reduce the effort needed to achieve the minimum.

The only considerations nowadays are quickest/cheapest/easiest.

Even when the USA did offer a good value price it was still "I can't be bothered with the paperwork".

Greg, I say again - the new ATSOCAS are in the papers and the practical test.

DBChopper
13th Aug 2009, 18:01
the new ATSOCAS are in the papers and the practical test.

Oops! My mistake - I mis-read that bit, sorry :uhoh:

I'm tired of seeing endless student after student desperately searching for ways to reduce the effort needed to achieve the minimum.

But Greg's act in merely asking to be pointed in the right direction as to exam-specific study material does not necessarily make him a bone-idle layabout looking to achieve the bare minimum required, but potentially someone who is looking to cut through the crap with which the CAA et al seem to wrap all their important information and find the bits he really needs to know. That seems quite sensible, doesn't it?

Keygrip
13th Aug 2009, 19:40
In a lot of cases, DB, I would agree with you - but in communications and ATC services I know of NOTHING that can be left out of the studying if you want to be any good at it.

FullyFlapped
13th Aug 2009, 22:08
Keygrip :

...and definately get yourself a dictionary and look up the words "Professional" and "Private".

Leaving aside the krap speeling, am I alone in not understanding what you actually mean by this ?

happybiker
14th Aug 2009, 07:46
Keygrip quote

"In standard CAA fashion, the RT written papers are full of errors - but they are current errors."

If the papers are so full of errors have you taken the trouble to inform the CAA to enable them to consider your comments?

Greg2041
22nd Aug 2009, 14:03
Ladies please,

DBChopper is of course completely right. I have read the Oxford Air Law book cover to cover, Pratt's text book and answered hundreds of questions on air law. I just wanted to make sure that I have everything covered.

On this occasion Keygrip is very badly mistaken but none of us are perfect are we?

Greg

PennyPitstop
29th Aug 2009, 17:47
I just took the exams recently :eek: the ATSOCAS changes are reflected - you need to know what information to include in your request for service - you also need to know the difference between Basic and Procedural service and the Safetycom limitations for height and distance.
Best of luck.:ok:

Greg2041
30th Aug 2009, 08:51
Great stuff. I have that all covered so should be okay.

Greg

BoeingMEL
30th Aug 2009, 14:27
the purpose of the PPL syllabus...and subsequent testing... is to ensure that you have a reasonable understnding of the subjects. To pass the writtens without understanding the underlying material is irresponsible..fact!

Captain Stable
30th Aug 2009, 16:24
I fully support both Keygrip and BoeingMEL.

There is nothing you can afford to leave out. Ensure you understand the subject as fully as possible. If you do that you will have no problem whatsoever passing the exams.

If you merely attempt to study what will come up in the exam you may pass, but your understanding will be flawed and incomplete. Believe me, that shortfall will, as sure as God made little apples, rise up later and bite you in the bum.

If you want to fly, don't do it half-heartedly. Do it properly or not at all. On several threads recently I've used the phrase "professionalism of attitude". I make no apologies for using it again. Get it, and maintain it, and you'll be a good pilot.

Ryan5252
30th Aug 2009, 17:32
Hey Greg
If you have not already; you should visit the below site and download the .zip file. Its quite an informative program/presentation and should allow you to come to grips with ATSOCAS
If your planning to pass your exams on the basic level required shame on you! But, im sure the most probable case is that, like me, you are studying the subjects in depth not just to pass the exams but because of your overall interest in flying. In any-case, safe landings!

Best of luck,
Ryan

Air Space Safety: ATSOCAS 917 (http://www.airspacesafety.com/content/ATSOCAS.asp)

Hugh_Jarse
31st Aug 2009, 10:38
BoeingMEL :-

the purpose of the PPL syllabus...and subsequent testing... is to ensure that you have a reasonable understnding of the subjects. To pass the writtens without understanding the underlying material is irresponsible..fact!
And the purpose of those English comprehension classes, to which you obviously should have paid more attention, was to equip you to understand this comment from the OP :-

DBChopper is of course completely right. I have read the Oxford Air Law book cover to cover, Pratt's text book and answered hundreds of questions on air law. I just wanted to make sure that I have everything covered.

... but of course as a 'professional' pilot, one should never let the facts get in the way of a damn good burst of regurgitated cant, should one old bean ? What ? Good show ....

:sad:

BoeingMEL
31st Aug 2009, 16:15
...you may sneer and snigger like a girl all you like.... but as former examiner and instructor I became heartily sick of young and youngish candidates/students who knew the answers but had little comprehension of the subjects. Now, quite a few PPLs go on to study for professional licences and just learning the answers is mightily bad practice... "Professional" means more than being paid! Common sense and good airmanship should be practiced from day one..period! I can count as personal friends a number of airline recruiters (LoCo and others) where quite searching questions are asked at interviews to assess the candidate's UNDERSTANDING of certain subjects. No question-bank answers to help on those occasions! I am not by nature a confrontational or pedantic guy..but those who read my posts will see that most are aimed at providing help and guidance for those who seek it or seem to need it. Rant over. bm

funfly
31st Aug 2009, 16:55
I disagree with many, I think that there are two distinct things to do;
1. Get all the right information to enable you to pass the exam - use the confuser etc.
Then
2. Study the subjects properly to get an understanding of what it is really all about. You will find that as your training progresses you will become familiar with much more and you will start to understand how to use what you have learned.

The information you used to pass the exam will give you the grounding for your flying knowledge and it will get you flying - it does not mean that you are equipped with all the knowledge you will need to fly - it's an entrance exam!

Captain Stable
31st Aug 2009, 17:41
Wrong on almost every count, funfly - and dangerously so.

Very poor advice. Have you not taken note of the qualifications and experience levels of the people with whom you are disagreeing?

Hugh_Jarse
1st Sep 2009, 10:26
BoeingMel ...

"Snigger like a girl" ? Good grief ... :ugh: That alone tells me everything I need to know about you, I think ...

Anyway, the point is, you didn't read the OP's posts properly, you just got stuck in - wrongly - and all the blustering insults in the world can't disguise it.

What on Earth is with the advanced attack of "Meldrew mode" on this board at the moment ?

BoeingMEL
1st Sep 2009, 13:20
I did read the thread carefully...the detail and the general thrust.... I see no no error on my part and retract nothing. Aren't you the same Hugh who needed help from these forums to plan a route? Hmmm. OK..I'm done and out of here!:ugh:

funfly
1st Sep 2009, 16:58
"The information you used to pass the exam will give you the grounding for your flying knowledge and it will get you flying - it does not mean that you are equipped with all the knowledge you will need to fly."

Are you saying this is wrong?

Uh?

Hugh_Jarse
1st Sep 2009, 17:55
BoeingMEL :

Aren't you the same Hugh who needed help from these forums to plan a route? Hmmm.
I assume you're referring to this :-

I'll be making a trip to Valencia in November for the MotoGP - does anyone have any advice on routes/local knowledge/procedures etc ? Almost definitely going VFR.
Well, gosh ... I would have thought someone with so much instruction and examination experience would approve ... you see, when I did my licence, we were taught to brief as much as possible. Obviously, I don't have your vast experience, and I'm deeply ashamed to admit that in my pitiful 2,800+ hours private flying all over the world, I've never been VFR into Valencia ... sorry, MEL, I obviously have no place here with sky gods like you ...

And you honestly taught and examined ? Jeez ...:eek::eek:

Captain Stable
2nd Sep 2009, 08:02
Mr. Jarse:-

There is nothing to imply that BoeingMEL's post of which you originally complained was aimed at the original poster. It was you who assumed that. As I read it, he aimed his post at others posting on this thread.

By sticking to your guns you are merely making a Hugh Jarse of yourself, as you have already on several other threads.

Hugh_Jarse
2nd Sep 2009, 10:38
Dear Captain Stable (or "Con", as I prefer to think of you),

I know, I know, I just can't help myself - I'm on a mission to drive out intolerance and "Meldrew-ism" wherever I find it - I've ony got to hear a "harrumph" and the red mist descends !

Keep up the good work old chap !

Hugh :ok: