PDA

View Full Version : Atpl Exams

Bladeangle
6th Jul 2009, 11:22
Hey, am about to start ATPL exams and was wondering if anyone had any advice in which order to attempt them?

TopGunGB
6th Jul 2009, 16:04
Each of the exams present their own unique challenges, but you might consider taking the exams in the order presented to me at Cabair.

Module 1:

Mass & Balance
Performance
Ops
Flight Planning
Human Performance
Radio Navigation

Module 2:

Airframes, Systems and Power plants
Air Law
Instruments

Module 3:

General Navigation
Principles of Flight
Meteorology
VFR Comms
IFR Comms

Personally, I'd take either meteorology or GNav and throw it on the Module 2 pile. Both subjects were particularly challenging for me and I'm sure my colleagues at the time feel the same. Beyond that, I found sitting the exams in this order to be quite manageable. Best of luck! :ok:

GearDownFlaps
6th Jul 2009, 16:27
Doesnt your training provider give you the specific subjects you take for each module ???? Ive not heard of one that gives you fourteen manuals and lets you choose which you take and when?? who you training with?

hatallas
6th Jul 2009, 16:31
i am doing it 4 modules.

Module 1: 2 month

Mass & Balance
Performance
Ops
Flight Planning
Human Performance
Radio Navigation

Module 2: 2 month

Airframes, Systems and Power plants
Air Law
Instruments

Module 3: 2 month

Principles of Flight
VFR Comms
IFR Comms

Module 4: 1 month

General Navigation
Meteorology

i have my time so i can take an extra month to study the 2, what i think are the hardest subjects for last.

Trolle
8th Jul 2009, 08:00
I started when I wanted to start and didn't look too much at the specific topic.

Had A/C general knowledge, radio nav, and something else first.

I think it depends on how the program is constructed. I am at CATS and I find the material well written and detailed, and most importantly, that the subject material can more or less stand alone. That means it didn't really matter to me which course I took first. There are a few things that refer to knowledge from a previous course, but that was easily cleared up.

I actually started choosing the courses out from when the exams are. I have to fly to the UK and spend the night to do the exams, so I cram them together as much as possible. This past time I took 5 exams in 2 days. It was a tough weekend studying, but exam day it was fine.

Finite_World
6th Sep 2009, 00:10
Hi, I'm doing the following at my FTO:

Phase 1:

Instruments
Met
Comms
P.of Flight
Human Perf.
Systems

Phase 2:
Gen Nav
Rad Nav
Mass and Bollocks
A/C Performance
Air Law
Ops
Flight Planning

Just to give you an idea, the phase 2 subjects complement one another quite nicely being more maths based and 'practical'. Air Law and Ops go hand in hand as well!

paco
6th Sep 2009, 02:26
This is the way we do it:

HPL
POF
AGK
Instruments

Radio Nav
Air Law
Ops
Met

Nav Gen
Flight Planning
Perf
M & B
Comms

The later subjects require knowledge of the previous ones - for example, Flight Planning requires some knowledge of Met and Law/Ops, and Nav requires knowledge of just about everything. Doing it in the first module is asking for trouble.

The above order cuts out a lot of repetition.

Phil

ReverseFlight
6th Sep 2009, 06:43
I have not seen this thread before and wish I had participated earlier - quinny82 seems to be asking the question from sydney and I presume that's the one downunder. My 2 cents' advice is as follows:

Navigation
Systems & Aerodynamics
Performance and Loading
Flight Planning
Air Law
Met
Human Factors

Time limit for a complete cycle of all 7 subjects is 3 years from the first exam passed.

Lightning Mate
6th Sep 2009, 15:16
:ugh::ugh::ugh:

EGCC4284
6th Sep 2009, 22:38
hatallas your mad doing it in 4 sittings.

You only get 6 sittings in total or you have to resit all if you have used all 6 sittings and not passed all 14.

If you dont pass all first time, you may use all 6 sittings and balls up big time. Trust me, imagine how you will feel going into your 6th sitting knowing if you fail, you will have to re sit ALL 14.

Your mad

Advice to all, do it with Bristol as they know what they are doing.

portsharbourflyer
6th Sep 2009, 23:04
It isn't as mad as it sounds.

I did mine across four sittings, passed all at first attempt and didn't have to resit any. Got all exams finished in about 14 months. As I did distance learning and had to fit it all between work then splitting it across four sittings made it quite manageable. Splitting across four sittings actually increases your chances of passing all at first attempt due to the fact that it is easier to concentrate on four subjects at time than five of six.

Splitting across three sittings is highly recommended as you will still have the maximum number of resit attempts available.

I can't remember the schedule of the exams at Gatwick but pick your subjects such that you are not sitting two large subjects on any one day (infact a decent ground school provider will ensure that you don't), although this means you will end up spending more days at Gatwick, a days extra b+b is slightly cheaper than an exam resit.