PDA

View Full Version : UAE awarded all flights for 2010 Soccer

JamesBiggles
6th Jul 2009, 10:54
Right....this is just based on hearsay, so, here is the question. Is there any truth to the story that the United Arab Emirates have been awarded all domestic and international flights (I assume this is for people directly associated with the soccer and not tourists etc) associated with the 2010 world cup soccer in SA?

I am led to believe, rightly or wrongly, that the UAE will place a few A330 in SA for the duration of the word cup for all the domestic flights and they have been cleared to fly to all destinations in SA (Durban, Cape Town, Jhb, Bloem) direct from overseas destinations.

If this is true, I am surprised. I would have thought the SA government would protect its domestic interests and award the work to our national carrier unless the decision was handed down to us by FIFA as a condition of being awarded the soccer.

Any thoughts?

fourgolds
6th Jul 2009, 11:01
Not sure , But EK are one of the biggest sponsors of the event so there might be some truth in it.

Beechdrivr
7th Jul 2009, 14:34
I seriously doubt it! Don't think the operators in SA would be very happy if that was the case.... but i stand to be corrected. They might bring them in but they will definitely not be flying them around domestically. The airline i work for is bringing in extra aircraft to cope with the influx and i know that we are going to be flying very hard for that month while the soccer is on the go... but as i said earlier i stand to be corrected.

Safe flying BD:ok:

Goldfish Jack
7th Jul 2009, 15:54
Not A330s but B777s and a few of them will be here................

JTrain
7th Jul 2009, 20:19
I think JNB will also be seeing many EK A380s during the World Cup.....

groundfloor
7th Jul 2009, 22:07
:} :} Iv put in a leave bid thankyou...

farmpilot
8th Jul 2009, 10:51
So what will they be doing then? Just flying the FIFA/TV crews around?