PDA

View Full Version : Air Jamaica Sold

Tacolegend
5th Jul 2009, 03:31
Air Jamaica sold - First murmurs about who has bought the national carrier have surfaced

Published: Saturday | July 4, 2009

Janet Silvera, Senior Gleaner Writer

WESTERN BUREAU:

The Gleaner has learnt that Indigo Partners and Oaktree Capital, who are reportedly the owners of Spirit Airlines, have bought the country's national carrier, Air Jamaica.

It is further understood that Air Jamaica's name might be changed to Spirit of Jamaica.

Sources close to the negotiations are tight-lipped, but they have confirmed that Trinidadian-owned Caribbean Airlines did not win the bid to take over the Jamaican airline.

The news comes days after the Privatisation committee, which has been managing the task of privatising Air Jamaica, submitted its recommendation to Senator Don Wehby, minister without portfolio in the Ministry of Finance.

It also comes at a time when the airline is reporting an operational surplus for the first time in 10 years.

On Tuesday, Wehby disclosed that the Privatisation Committee, chaired by Dennis Lalor, had submitted to him the evaluation and recommendation report on the privatisation of the national carrier.

In a media release, the minister said that the committee - assisted by expert input from the International Finance Corporation, which is the private-sector arm of the World Bank Group, and which has a record of more than 150 successful assignments in some 60 countries - had negotiated strategically with the two top investor prospects and had made a final recommendation for the signing of a document of agreed terms with one party. The terms include a provision for the Government of Jamaica to maintain a minority equity stake in the airline.

Some stakeholders in the tourist industry would not be disappointed with this outcome. Many have confided that this would be good move on the part of the Air Jamaica divestment team.

"Spirit is already mean and lean and that is exactly what Air Jamaica needs in order to strategically grow," said one hotelier, adding that the routes plied by both carriers might be complementary.

Strategic investment

Earlier, Spirit had announced the completion of a strategic investment, led by Indigo Partners LLC and funds managed by Oaktree Capital Management LLC. The investment will provide significant resources for the company to consolidate its position as the leading low-cost carrier to the Caribbean, and pursue its long-term growth strategy.

Indigo Partners LLC, with offices in Phoenix, Arizona and Singapore, is a private-equity fund focused primarily on investing in the transportation, airline and airline-related sectors globally.

Oaktree Capital Management LLC is a Los Angeles-based private investment firm that manages in excess of US$30 billion in select niche investment markets
for institutions and wealthy individuals.

TTex600
6th Jul 2009, 15:45
Spirit is too understaffed in HQ to manage another carrier. Additionally, according to Spirit management, Spirit is being forced by their ownership (Indigo Partners/Oaktree Capital Management) to survive without any additional funding. Spirit has, again according to Spirit management, somewhere around 80 MillionUSD in the band which is earmarked for deposits on new A320's.

All of which tells me that Spirit is NOT buying AirJamaica. Indigo/Oaktree is attempting to buy AJ.
William Franke, the Chairman of Indigo and Tiger Airlines, ex CEO of AmericanWest, will be in charge of AirJ.

Make NO mistake, Mr. Franke is the man with the money and the iron fist.

Heading090
7th Jul 2009, 15:46
:ok:It is offcial, NKS bought AJ!!!!

Gooneyone
17th Jul 2009, 00:42
a) Who is NKS???

b) Does the government of Jamaica know "NKS" have bought AJ??

Panama Jack
17th Jul 2009, 09:20
I am sure that a number of groups are happy that Caribbean Airlines wasn't the successful bidder.

chock2chock
17th Jul 2009, 13:18
I am sure that a number of groups are happy that Caribbean Airlines wasn't the successful bidder.
Today 01:42

in other words you mean GORTT (Government of the Republic of Trinidad & Tobago) posing as "Caribbean Airlines".

legion319
19th Jul 2009, 04:30
At Spirit we are still waiting for the official news.

powerstall
19th Jul 2009, 05:25
Is there any expansion planned? or any additional aircrafts to be added to their Airbus 319/320/321 fleet? :sad:

flufdriver
22nd Jul 2009, 15:25
Interesting development of Spirit owners buying AJ!
Let me speculate a little: AJ probably has route rights throughout the Caribbean, which were no doubt part of the sale.
Perhaps Spirit will now do what many of us were advocating years ago but was deemed politically impossible: they will spread through the Caribbean and become the dominant force and after all the money losing local carriers that are too proud to work together have withered away, air transport decisions for the region will be made up in the USA instead of where they should be made; right here in our region.
Tragic:ooh:

Heading090
23rd Jul 2009, 01:19
I am sorry for AJ, if in fact NKS bought it, there will be a lot of people on the streets, cutting budget and expenses.... you know how the ULCC really work, making somebody do the job of three or more employees.

Sorry guys/girls from AJ...............:bored:

Zigzoggafus
23rd Jul 2009, 03:01
It wouldn't have been painless had Caribbean Airlines bought them either.
When BWIA was shut down and morphed into CAL, they shrank the airline too much, got rid of too many pilots and when they tried to expand, found that most of those pilots had moved on.
But hopefully they would have learned some lessons along the way and might have handled it differently.
I still feel that an ATTEMPT should have been made, once and for all, to have a regional airline but as Panama Jack said earlier....

"I am sure that a number of groups are happy that Caribbean Airlines wasn't the successful bidder."

Island politics.............................

:ugh:

cochise
23rd Jul 2009, 12:53
Personally I think it's sad that the National Flag carrier from Trinidad & Tobago has decided to call itself "Caribbean Airlines". The airline does not hire pilots from any other Caribbean nations. Those that are there were there from when they hired during the shortage. The website now states "Trinidad & Tobago Nationals". It is a Caribbean Airline, it is NOT the airline of the Caribbean.
A lot of people, including flight crew still working there. HR department was unimpressive last I checked. Even in this economic downturn you have pilots leaving to the ME. If you're not from Trinidad you probably don't want to live there.

Good luck to AirJam I hope that one day I'll get on one of the Airlines from the Caribbean on my way home and feel like I did when I used to step on a BWIA aircraft. Somehow I highly doubt this...

Durango
24th Jul 2009, 20:27
Cochise

You're spot on dude! Well said!

D:ok:

NG_Kaptain
28th Jul 2009, 07:42
July 24th,
Published in Trinidad....

"Caribbean Airlines has also put in a bid to acquire cash-poor Air Jamaica, which has been struggling to stay in the air for the past couple years because of the international downturn in tourism-related travel.

Sources confirmed last night that Caribbean Airlines has bid for the Jamaican airline, in a deal that would require a cash injection to start operating a new entity.

The deal would require the Jamaican government to close Air Jamaica and pay staff members severance, since Caribbean Airlines would not be interested in taking on debt from the Jamaican carrier, an industry source said in a phone interview last night.

Caribbean Airlines had made the bid for Air Jamaica about a month ago. Spirit Airways, a low-budget international carrier, is also bidding to acquire Air Jamaica. No deal has been finalised as yet, the source said."

B888
28th Jul 2009, 20:59
Actually, there are two pilots employed with Caribbean Airlines who are from another island in the caribbean and neither holds a T&T passport. I agree there should be more.

NG_Kaptain
29th Jul 2009, 18:55
And there are over seventy ex Beewee pilots scattered around the world, who through no fault of theirs, have had to find new homes. Don't expect Caribbean Airlines to offer jobs to "non nationals" when they treated their own so poorly.

sea
12th Aug 2009, 00:21
They are from Jamaica

Che Guevara
12th Aug 2009, 15:51
So who has actually bought AJ, Spirit or Caribbean?

Either way it's pretty sad it had to go this way, not surprising, just sad.

Good luck all.

Heading090
12th Aug 2009, 19:08
Che Guevara <<<< controversial user name!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Che Guevara
12th Aug 2009, 20:17
Yes, I suppose it could be depending on your interpretation.

So is it Spirit or Caribbean Airlines "MON"?

Zigzoggafus
13th Aug 2009, 20:12
Thread drift alert......... But Che Guevara was a murderer (no offence Che)

Back to the thread, the rumours were that CAL had lost out to Spirit but as far as I know, nothing official has been forthcoming from either government as yet.
I keep hearing that CAL is still very much in the picture with Air J.

Bahamapilot
14th Aug 2009, 00:10
AMEN I agree

Che Guevara
14th Aug 2009, 05:37
Thanks for the answer, look forward to seeing the outcome.

Hopefully to put the name thing to bed and not cause a 'thread drift', one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, it's all a matter of perspective.

Safe flying.

Heading090
15th Aug 2009, 01:27
WWHHHAAAATTT?????????????????? :sad:

cochise
16th Aug 2009, 08:18
I understand it's just a name and a personal preference. As you said, you probably could just have used "freedom fighter" or "revolutionary" but it's not as iconic. Just as my or anyone elses' handle on the forum.
No offense or mal wishes, but to date, I have not met a Cuban that would agree with you. Che has been over portrayed in this day and age and while he is an icon I think that's where his legend dies.
On the other hand, you're not in management are you?:}

Sorry about that, back to the thread. Caribbean Airlines CEO resigns a month ago and now they take over Air Jam?:yuk:

Che Guevara
16th Aug 2009, 23:14
I picked up the nickname Che many years ago when I was at school for my support of the republican 'freedom fighters' in a certain European country. The other side of the fence of course had labelled them terrorists, when indeed they themselves were guilty of plundering and terrorizing many countries around the world. Hence my previous statements etc.
No, I am not management, not with those sentiments anyway.

So, has Caribbean Airline's bid been accepted or are they in trouble now?

Sorry for the thread drift everybody but, it happens. Hopefully it is finished now.

Safe flying.

Heading090
17th Aug 2009, 13:33
kind of statements about Che guevara.
Like you said , in the other side of the fence.!!!!
Since a couple of years , this name has been a trade mark for some artist whome don't even know exactly what he represented, and since, a lot of people may think they really understand what's behind this great show.

take care guys/girls.....

ps: this is my last comment here regarding this issue.

vectorz090
16th Jan 2010, 16:02
* Caribbean Airlines to own Air Jamaica within days:

Business: News in the Caribbean - Caribbean360.com (http://www.caribbean360.com/News/Business/Stories/2010/01/14/NEWS0000010057.html)

Zigzoggafus
17th Jan 2010, 03:35
What are the pilots hearing about their future? Any Air J guys here care to comment?
Are they expecting to go through the same treatment as did the BW boys when CAL was formed?
If so, brace for some turbulent times.

Bredrin
18th Jan 2010, 16:40
Caribbean Airlines may stick with Boeing and get rid of AirJ's fleet of 320s. It would make good business sense as AirJ had (maybe still has) some ridiculous leases on their fleet, however, as at Caribbean Airlines, it might be a mighty mess for the pilots. If you don't fly 737 will you have a job? Hopefully the Government will include in the sale provisions to protect as many workers as possible (ALL DEPARTMENTS!) and prevent this avoidable situation.
Walk good my Air Jamaica friends.

Panama Jack
28th Jan 2010, 05:20
Caribbean version of United Airlines?

The Jamaica Airline Pilots Association has expressed its confidence that it could operate Air Jamaica successfully if its proposal is accepted by the government.

-----------------------------

The Jamaican Airline Pilots’ Association (JALPA) has submitted its business plan “on behalf of the staff” of Air Jamaica to acquire the airline.

The submission made yesterday, follows an open letter to Prime Minister Bruce Golding from the staff of Air Jamaica. In the letter the staff said “let the divestment take place but let JALPA, the representation of Air Jamaica’s staff and the Jamaican people take the reins”.

Source: IFALPA Daily News

Sounds frightening, based on the banter when I hear crew open their mouths and start the dialogue with "These idiots in Management don't know what they are doing. If I were running this airline I would . . . ." Any thoughts?

Speedbird2263
8th Feb 2010, 03:59
All I can say for now is that interesting times are ahead. The forthcoming information or lack of it is worrisome at best. JM is now down to 6 aircraft and basically 5 destinations. Crying shame if you ask me, coming from 22 aircraft and almost the same in destinations, but then again signs of the times.

What's to happen to the JM guys and gals is up in the air as no one can confirm or even relay rumours on the matter. Im almost sure CAL would return the Airbus and either re-order fresh 73's or go for a new type across the board such as the E-Jet. I spoke to a CAL captain recently and he has no clue but figured the JM guys would be in the running for some flight deck jobs.

Zigzoggafus
8th Feb 2010, 16:07
From what I hear, CAL intends to renegotiate the leases on the Airbusses and crew them with the present Air J pilots. In time, the plan is to possibly switch to Boeing and train the guys over. It wouldn't make sense to have Trinidadian pilots 'based' in Jamaica and I don't think anyone would particularly want to go either so all the hysteria about CAL replacing all Jamaicans with Trinidadians is misplaced.
If history is any guide, be prepared to re-interview for your jobs (some will not be taken back) and be offered imposed contracts that you might not be entirely happy with.

Panama Jack
15th Feb 2010, 03:59
Looks like Air Jamaica passes into the airline history books. Will miss their cheerful, brightly colored livery:

Caribbean Airlines to be Jamaica's exclusive national carrier
Published: Friday | February 12, 2010

R. Anne Shirley, Business Writer

The Government has agreed to ensure that Caribbean Airlines is designated the exclusive national carrier of Jamaica under the air services agreements between itself and other states.

This was stated in the non-binding letter of intent signed on January 22 by the Government, Air Jamaica Limited, Air Jamaica Holdings Limited and Caribbean Airlines, a company owned by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago.

Under this agreement, the parties are committed to making best efforts to sign legally binding agreements by March 31. In this regard, the GOJ and Air Jamaica will take all necessary steps to effect the cessation of operations of Air Jamaica on or before July 1, and as soon there-after close Air Jamaica.

Caribbean Airlines will commence its Jamaican operations on or before July 1 upon the cessation of operations of Air Jamaica. Effective as of the consummation of the closing, the Government has agreed that "Caribbean Airlines shall be the exclusive national carrier of Jamaica and, in this regard, will not request designation of national carrier status for any other air carrier for as long as the Jamaican operations maintain a minimum level of service and meet certain other criteria, which in each case will be set forth in the definitive agreements".

Prior to the cessation of operations, Air Jamaica will "implement revenue management and communication measures as determined by Caribbean Airlines and reasonably acceptable to the Government of Jamaica in order to actively manage market share, enhance passenger loyalty to the national carrier, and help preserve the competitiveness of the launch of the Jamaican operations (of Caribbean Airlines)".

Air Jamaica currently flies to five destinations on 13 routes. The destinations are the United States, Canada, Cuba, The Bahamas and Curaçao. Last year, the airline carried 1.1 million passengers on these routes.

In Appendix I, attached to the letter of intent, Caribbean Airlines stated it would start up its Jamaican operations by adding a network of routes to its international network.

Caribbean Airlines will also operate a Kingston, Port-of-Spain, Georgetown (Guyana) route one flight/seven days per week, but this route will not form part of the Jamaican operations.

In addition, Caribbean Airlines has indicated that possible intra-island flight between Kingston and Montego Bay is "to be considered". So the advantage that Air Jamaica passengers had to connect between Kingston and Montego Bay will likely be lost.

For the initial Jamaican operations, it is estimated that the routes will be operated with "five to seven aircraft with an estimated number of cockpit and crew, respectively, of 70 to 90 and 140 to 160".

The agreement expects that there will be "synergies and rationalisation in many areas including ground handling (flight and passenger) and distribution".

The Air Jamaica Frequent Flyer Programme will be integrated and rationalised into the Caribbean Airlines programme. In terms of the management and personnel to be employed to man the Jamaican operations, Caribbean Airlines shall have "absolute discretion in the selection and recruitment of any Air Jamaica employees on new contractual arrangements".

Airline tickets to be honoured

Also, the fuel hedge now enjoyed by Caribbean Airlines will be extended to the Jamaica operations.

Caribbean Airlines will honour airline tickets bought on Air Jamaica on routes which will comprise the Jamaican operation and have not yet flown at the time of the closing of Air Jamaica. On or before the closing, "the Government of Jamaica will pay to Caribbean Airlines an amount equal to 93 per cent of the passenger fare value of the Air Jamaica ticket fares".

In consideration for all of the above, the agreement shall contain an anti-dilution provision "to insure that Government of Jamaica retains no less than a 10 per cent equity interest in Caribbean Airlines after closing, giving effect to any equity funding post-closing needed to meet the requisite cash threshold. Such securities shall be of the same class of securities held by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago and there shall be no securities senior to it".

The Government of Jamaica will also appoint one director to the board of Caribbean Airlines.

I wonder how the Jamaican government and Caribbean Airlines plan to demonstrate that their Jamaican division is substantially owned by Jamaicans in order to be able to serve international routes from Jamaica.

tropical wave
15th Feb 2010, 11:42
Well, LIAT flies into San Juan and the US Virgin Islands and they are owned by three Goverments [St Vincent,Antigua,Barbados]....the lawyers will have to sort that out.

vectorz090
18th Feb 2010, 15:08
PM INSISTS JALPA'S PROPOSAL FLAWED:

PM insists JALPA's proposal flawed - Breaking & Current Jamaica News - JamaicaObserver.com (http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Golding-Air-J-Thur--Feb-18--2010_7430604)

Panama Jack
19th Feb 2010, 06:04
Good to see that the PM and the Jamaican Government are at least keeping their senses.

Amongst all of the problems with JALPA's proposal that the Government has identified, the larger question is about JALPA's future role in a "JALPA-owned Air Jamaica," namely whether JALPA is supposed to protect the interests of the workers or run a business? Is the inherent contradiction between the interests of workers and that of a business not evident.

Well, I guess it is, given JALPA's philosphy that having a workforce of 1607 employees to operate 7 airplanes constitutes a "lean but focused workforce."

Che Guevara
19th Feb 2010, 16:21
Well, I guess it is, given JALPA's philosphy that having a workforce of 1607 employees to operate 7 airplanes constitutes a "lean but focused workforce."

Now now PJ, that's the same ratio as GF is it not. ;)

Panama Jack
20th Feb 2010, 01:15
Brace for impact, Che Guevara, if GATU were to announce an offer to take over GF. And update your resume.

Panama Jack
9th Mar 2010, 19:54
Air Jamaica Outlines Wet-Lease Plans

Mar 8, 2010

By Darren Shannon

Air Jamaica CEO Bruce Nobles is proposing a strategy that could terminate the carrier’s scheduled operations on April 11 and revive the company the next day as a wet-lease operator for Caribbean Airlines, which is still embroiled in takeover talks with the Jamaican government.

In an interview with The DAILY, Nobles said the plan is still under negotiation and many key details have still to be agreed.

Despite that, an outline has emerged where Air Jamaica will effectively cease to exist on April 11 just as its winter schedule ends, and all employees will be made redundant.

Nobles explained that an unspecified number of these employees will be rehired on fixed-term contracts to operate six aircraft under contract to Caribbean Airlines on a schedule announced early last month (DAILY, Feb. 3) that drops five city-pairs and three narrowbodies from Air Jamaica’s current network.

“We will be using our fleet, our AOC [air operator certificate], and our bilateral agreements. We will be operating under the Air Jamaica code, issuing the same tickets, and taking bookings through Air Jamaica’s reservation systems,” said Nobles in the telephone interview.

He added that this contracted operation will exist for six to 12 months, while Caribbean Airlines finalizes the creation of a Jamaican subsidiary and obtain the relevant access rights from U.S. authorities.

The Trinidad and Tobago-based carrier, however, will be financially exposed to the wet-lease operation. “If the expenses are larger than the revenue, then Caribbean will have to make up the difference. Conversely, if there is a profit, that will be Caribbean’s,” said Nobles.

But this is only an outline, warned Nobles, who noted that key elements, including the implementation date, can change. “There are accounting issues with ending an operation in the middle of the month, and although it is too early to say, this could affect the date.”

It is also unclear if the new operation will retain Air Jamaica’s tails or convert to Caribbean Airlines’ livery, and the future of this mostly leased fleet is still uncertain.

“What we want to make clear is that we are working to guarantee a seamless transition from one operation to another that ensures our customers will not be inconvenienced, and retains airlift to Jamaica,” said Nobles.

And though the CEO avoided the issue, this agreement also relieves a near-bankrupt Jamaican government of an expensive nationalized company that is hindering the completion of a major loan agreement with the International Monetary Fund.

Source: Aviation Week

Ransman
16th Mar 2010, 04:51
Seems things are happening, ground staff on strike at Norman Manley, Air Jamaica may be ceasing ops soon according to the ground staff?

NG_Kaptain
20th Mar 2010, 19:57
Looks like the former BWIA management is doing to the Air Jamaica pilot body what they did to the BWIA pilots. Time to find a home elsewhere.
More than half the BW pilots were terminated when Caribbean Airlines was formed, irregardless of seniority or fleet qualification. I would think the Air Jamaica pilot body will be hurt even worse.
The CEO of Caribbean is a scab who worked his way into union leadership then into management. Get your CV ready as the management team has no morals.

Iver
21st Mar 2010, 13:34
That would be difficult to leave your home in the tropical caribbean. On the positive side, there are probably many Airbus operators in the world who would actively court the AJ pilots. Quite a few in the Middle East come to mind.

Best of luck to everyone involved.

Ransman
17th Apr 2010, 13:31
Air J cleared for take-off. Lovebird gets 60-day waiver (granted by US Dept. of Transport) to fly to US when pact with Caribbean Airlines becomes effective. The transitional services agreement comes into effect April 30th. AJ's President & CEO Bruce Nobles assures pax that ops will continue as normal as the airline prepares for its transition to Caribbean Airlines. This could take upto 12 months.

Panama Jack
30th Apr 2010, 05:35
Looks like the deal has been consumated:

DATE:29/04/10
SOURCE:Air Transport Intelligence news
Caribbean completes takeover of Air Jamaica
By Sandra Arnoult

Caribbean Airlines has taken over financially beleaguered Air Jamaica after months of negotiations between the two island carriers.

"We proposed that Caribbean Airlines was a natural ally and the best choice to serve the needs of the Jamaican population," Caribbean Airlines CEO Ian Brunton says.

A final agreement between the two carriers was reached April 28, following a letter of intent that was signed in January. One of the stated goals was to produce a single regional carrier in the Caribbean.

Under terms of the deal, the government of Jamaica will assume responsibility for closure costs related to Air Jamaica, which are estimated at more than $800 million.

Caribbean will take over the carrier's frequent flyer programme and will continue to honor Air Jamaica tickets. The government of Jamaica will own 16% of Caribbean Airlines.

Air Jamaica's initial operations will continue existing routes. From Montego Bay, flights will continue between New York-JFK, Baltimore-Washington, Philadelphia and Fort Lauderdale. From Kingston, the airline will continue operating to New York-JFK, Toronto and Fort Lauderdale.

The governments of Trinidad and Tobago will contribute $49.2 million to Caribbean Airlines to use as working capital to facilitate the merger. Some 900 Air Jamaica employs will be retained to manage eight routes currently operated by the Kingston-based carrier.

Air Jamaica chairman, Dennis Lalor, says the final offer was improved from Caribbean's initial bid and superior to a rival bid by Indigo Partners.

"We believe this transaction creates a unique, historic opportunity to create a true Caribbean air carrier," Lalor says, "leveraging the expertise and strengths built up by Air Jamaica and Caribbean Airlines to be able to compete in a fierce global market environment."

Panama Jack
7th May 2010, 19:03
Former JALPA president succumbs to heart attack

BY INGRID BROWN Senior staff reporter [email protected]

Thursday, May 06, 2010

FORMER Air Jamaica pilot and past president of the Jamaican Airline Pilots' Association (JALPA) Captain Russell Capleton died of a heart attack Tuesday night, just four days after his position was made redundant from the company he served for the last 30 years.

Capleton, 56, was rushed to the Andrews Memorial Hospital in St Andrew where he died, surrounded by his family.
Capleton who became the face and voice of the association, was integral in the Air Jamaica Staff Acquisition Group to acquire the airline, popularly called the 'Lovebird', which was ultimately divested to the Trinidad & Tobago-based Caribbean Airlines.

Ina joint statement yesterday, Air Jamaica chairman Dennis Lalor, and its president, Bruce Nobles, expressed "sincere regret" at Capleton's sudden passing.

"'Russ', as he was known by many of his acquaintances, was a good pilot, a strong leader and a true gentleman. He will truly be missed and we extend to his widow and his entire family our heartfelt condolences," they said.

Meanwhile, Captain Maria Ziadie Haddad, executive secretary of JALPA and Capleton's work colleague for over 30 years, said that his the death came as a shock.

"We are deeply saddened, very shocked and surprised at the sudden and untimely passing of Captain Capleton," she told the Observer.

According to Ziadie Haddad, the recent stress of Air Jamaica's transition process could have attributed to his sudden demise.

"We are likely to think that the stress asociated with the changeover and separation from Air Jamaica and all these sudden changes and disappointment at what happened, left him heartbroken," she said.

She said that he also received some amount of run around when he went to collect his redundancy payment on Friday. "When he went for his redundancy payment he was told that it was not at that location and he had to go elsewhere and he even had to go back downtown (Kingston) on Monday and all that stress adds up on people after awhile," she said.

According to Ziadie Haddad, herself and Capleton as well as several other union delegates were not offered employment with the new company.

"He was very visible in the media as one who spoke out and spoke the truth and some of us believe that persons like him were sidelined and removed from the rehiring process," she told the Observer.

She said that Capleton was looking forward to continuing to serve the association as its spokesperson to the media as JALPA pressed forward in its bid to acquire a new airline.

In fact, she said, a meeting was scheduled to be held today with a number of JALPA executives to discuss the way forward for the association.

"Yesterday (Tuesday), I sent him some communication and he replied and arranged to speak with me tomorrow (Thursday) so I was so shocked when I heard early this morning that he passed on," she said solemnly.

Capleton who had been employed by Air Jamaica since January 28, 1980 captained his last flight last Thursday.

Ziadie Haddad described him as a charming, well spoken and witty character, who had a vast grasp of the English language.

"We had nicknames for him like Lord Russell because he just had that charm about him, and he definitely was a son of the soil of Jamaica trying to do the best for the national carrier and the entire staff," she said.

The Air Jamaica ground staff in Montego Bay also expressed deep sadness at Capleton's passing, as they recognised the care he had for the welfare of those workers who would be affected by the divestment process.

"The ground staff are fully cognisant of his deep care, for in the latter part of last year he asked, "what are the staff in Montego Bay going to do?... Do you know if they have contingency plans or what is their thinking at this time?" The answer was, "No, they are wholly depending on JALPA to acquire Air Jamaica as there are no jobs out there and all they know is Air Jamaica.

"This sacrifice of self by working in thought and action, coming off flights to have late meetings and device plans in a bid to acquire Air Jamaica meant that Captain Russell Capleton gave his all and ultimately paid with his life," according to Sandra Christie, who issued the statement on behalf of the ground staff.

Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller also expressed deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Capleton.

"I remember the strident and courageous manner with which Captain Capleton led the charge to find an alternative to the divestment and ultimate closure of Jamaica's 'Lovebird', our national carrier," Simpson Miller said.

She said that Capleton's untimely passing had brought an abrupt end to a life of national service and commitment to Jamaica's development through his chosen field.

"The sadness of his passing so soon after the closure of the airline is particularly poignant," she said.

http://assets.mediaspanonline.com/prod/4444527/Russel-Capleton_w370.jpg

Condolences to the family and friends of Captain Capleton.

flufdriver
10th May 2010, 01:17
What a tragic end to a career and life in service to others!

Altough Captain R. Capleton will probably never be listed as a victim of the demise of Air Jamaica as we knew it, it is most likely that the accumulated stress and emotion of the events pushed his heart over the edge.

I trust that I can speak for my colleagues at CAPA (Cayman) in expressing our condolences and regrets of his untimely passing to Capt. Capleton's family, colleagues & friends.

May he be soaring in smooth and peaceful skies hereafter!

fluf