PDA

View Full Version : Female Aircrew Hair

pwwuk
3rd Jul 2009, 16:46
With so many 'serious' issues on PPRUNE just now I wanted to use the forum to answer a question that's been bouncing between me an a WO for a while :ugh:.

The regs don't seem clear .. (RAF) ..

If a female in uniform has long hair it has to be in a bun net or pinned.

Aircrew cant use either due to the FOD risk ?

Thus a ponytail dangling down from a bone dome is OK ?

What about when no helmet is being worn ? :ooh:

Any AP quotes appreciated, could even win me a beer :ok:

P.

Arty Fufkin
3rd Jul 2009, 16:49
Oh that hair. Thank God.

Roadster280
3rd Jul 2009, 16:53
What do the Brazilian Air Force do? :)

Seldomfitforpurpose
3rd Jul 2009, 16:55
Brings a new meaning to low level waxing :E

pwwuk
3rd Jul 2009, 16:57
Now this is just silly .. :=

but keep it coming .. :D

Seldomfitforpurpose
3rd Jul 2009, 17:00
You started it :p

Wensleydale
3rd Jul 2009, 17:03
And are you still allowed to call it a "cockpit"? Perhaps it should also be a "Box Office".....

funflier44
3rd Jul 2009, 17:05
See you haven't lost your touch with words CJ.

wahwah64
3rd Jul 2009, 17:23
A woman's hair has to be kept within the helmet as to have a pony tail is deemed a snag issue...

drustsonoferp
3rd Jul 2009, 18:04
Perhaps the more pertinent question is that given women in the Service are allowed long hair, and that doing so cannot be contrary to military effectiveness, why can men not do the same?

Sloppy Link
3rd Jul 2009, 18:20
If you want to look like a girl then crack on and go the whole hog. If you want to look like a hippy then go and join some other outfit.

6Z3
3rd Jul 2009, 19:05
A woman's hair has to be kept within the helmet

I always believed it was the other way round:E

pwwuk
3rd Jul 2009, 19:39
Naughty ;)

BEagle
3rd Jul 2009, 19:40
You bad bugger, Weasel!

Here's a nice female aircrew hair-do:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/string.jpg

Not forgetting:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/LtEllis.jpg

or even:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Lightningfarewell.jpg

Luvverlyyyyyyyy....:ok:

pwwuk
3rd Jul 2009, 19:50
& there is me hoping for AP and JSP refs galore ! :confused:

Note sure my female (and sometimes DFC honoured) colleges will be certain the above are representitive of this century's women military aviators :suspect:

Dengue_Dude
3rd Jul 2009, 19:58
Now THAT is just plain naive . . . expecting anything sensible on this site.

GREAT ISN'T IT ?

alwayslookingup
3rd Jul 2009, 20:17
Cheers guys & gals, BANTER at its BEST. The art is alive and well and living on pprune (and in many other places no doubt).

Have just arrived in to work for night shift, got some real sh***y jobs lined up that just have to be done and heard about Andy Murray on the way here, so needed some cheering up.

This thread's achieved the purpose admirably. Long may it continue, and long live the proone, gets me through many a long shift.

ALU.

pwwuk
3rd Jul 2009, 20:31
ALU,

at work ? got the AP/JSP handy then ?

Swanwick ?

Anyhow .. any input from our fairer brethren ... ?

I'doubt I'll ever get this back on track .. but no harm trying .. in the meanwhile :D

minigundiplomat
3rd Jul 2009, 21:34
With so many 'serious' issues on PPRUNE just now I wanted to use the forum to answer a question that's been bouncing between me an a WO for a while :ugh:.

The regs don't seem clear .. (RAF) ..

If a female in uniform has long hair it has to be in a bun net or pinned.

Aircrew cant use either due to the FOD risk ?

Thus a ponytail dangling down from a bone dome is OK ?

What about when no helmet is being worn ? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/icon25.gif

Any AP quotes appreciated, could even win me a beer http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Try getting a proper job. Then you wouldn't have too much time on your hands and could worry about real issues such as manning, equipment, life and death etc.

Arty Fufkin
4th Jul 2009, 00:01
Well said MGD. The last thing we need at this present time is frivolity. Shame on you all for not taking this seriously. Don't you know there's a war on?

Roadster280
4th Jul 2009, 00:20
So there is. Now get your farking hair cut!!!

pwwuk
4th Jul 2009, 10:14
minigundiplomat ? so grumpy :ugh: .. I've manning & budget issues to last me forever thanks very much ..

Every time we get in to the air we have life & death issues to face.. So much of late focuses on the families hearts that we break doing what we do and for the guys and girls on the ground that are supported from above, who have it so very hard. Yet we lift our spirits & aim higher.

So every time I get ribbed about female aircrew with hair 'dangling down' by the WO, how much would I love to have a few taught responses, wave a photocopy of an AP para x under his nose .. and perhaps more important of all with the pressure that we face, just smile knowing we all have had a joke and a bit of banter triggered by his gold tipped stick gesturing .. :)

parabellum
4th Jul 2009, 12:36
Well said pwwuk, you ask a simple question and all you get is simple people answering you!;)

The Old Fat One
4th Jul 2009, 14:04
....heard about Andy Murray on the way here, so needed some cheering up.

You must have heard wrong...he lost :E

Dawdler
4th Jul 2009, 14:19
On the hair/helmet issue did anyone see James May trying to stuff his locks into the standard issue space suit helmet for his "trip into space" recently?

old developer
4th Jul 2009, 18:32
i suppose that shaving is out of the question? ...... OD Falls out of chair giggling as mental picture forms:D:D

pwwuk
4th Jul 2009, 19:10
I was tempted by the reply 'WAX' ;)

But figured that would not help my case in getting a useful response. :cool:

pohm1
5th Jul 2009, 01:11
In my experience with female officers, not only aircrew, hair was to be neatly trimmed and parted right down the middle:ok:

A certain ATC officer I 'knew' had a very attractive landing strip, (minus the threshold markings, of course!)

P1

brit bus driver
6th Jul 2009, 01:01
Just so long as she didn't have skid marks in the touchdown zone....

pohm1
6th Jul 2009, 03:08
... and I always stayed away if the RHAG was deployed!

P1

L J R
6th Jul 2009, 06:12
Any images of the said Touch-Down Zone available?, (just need clarification of similar vector to PAR).

GPMG
6th Jul 2009, 07:19
Have you guys just been sent back from HMAS Success by any chance?

If so....who won? :ok:

pwwuk
6th Jul 2009, 09:43
Runway partings .. :bored:

C'mon throw me a frickin bone :rolleyes:

Python21
6th Jul 2009, 13:08
This hairdresser might have an answer!
P21
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/python21/Trim.jpg

long time civvy
7th Jul 2009, 07:50
OK, sorry not to have a more amusing reply but....What, exactly is the WO's problem?? If he/she is whining about ponytails being worn on the dispersal, he/she needs to wind his/her neck in.

If, however, females think they can wear a ponytail generally around the Squadron, then I suspect the WO has something to moan about.

However, a solution would be to wear a bun till just before they put their flying helmet on when they should just tie it in a bun using the same type of hair band/tie/bobble to secure it that is used for the ponytail-if they tie it much lower down, it wont get in the way of the helmet any more than a pony tail would. No pins. No hair nets. No fod. No brainer.

Alternatively, plait it from the nape of the neck and put an elastic bobble at the bottom then fold it under and tie it in what looks like a neat bun.

Sure, it as to be sorted out when you take the flying helmet off but believe me, from 10 years flying experience, I can safely say it stops the WO moaning.

pwwuk
7th Jul 2009, 11:53
The nightmare is simply that I can't find the regs or worse that they don't exist to cover ..

All the obvious choices : Rubber bands, clips, nets etc. cant be used due to the the obvious fod / cocpit contamination hazard.

In blue uniform the teams har is super smart.

In a flying coverall, it would be unworkable to keep putting up / down / band on / band off etc; no doubt these things would get lost etc. but I cant find the exception to allow for 'relaxed' hair for female aircarew.

Thus are subject to contunued hastle .. :yuk:

Blogsey
7th Jul 2009, 13:21
Why would you be wearing a helmet in the on-board galley?:confused:

philrigger
7th Jul 2009, 13:57
;)

"...but I cant find the exception to allow for 'relaxed' hair for female aircarew."

Perhaps the exception does not exist !

Certain captains may allow it but that does not mean it is in the book.

Just get a hair-cut and be done with it.

rogerk
7th Jul 2009, 14:22
Do you mean that there are women driving planes ??

Would never happened in my day.

What is the world coming too - they will be getting bloody medals next !!

Bugger the haircut - keep at it girls you have my respect RAF or AAC

:ok::ok::ok:

EyesFront
7th Jul 2009, 15:48
Arriving at Heathrow from Oslo last night, we spent a full hour on the ground looking for somewhere to park. From my window seat, I noticed that we taxied past the tower three times...

The fact that our captain was a blonde Scandinavian lady had absolutely nothing to do with it!

pwwuk
7th Jul 2009, 16:57
"Certain captains may allow it but that does not mean it is in the book." Often are the A/c commander !

JAR FCL
7th Jul 2009, 18:00
Jesus Christ! Girls in aircraft, where?!?

airborne_artist
7th Jul 2009, 18:35
Here JAR - a past caption comp task..

http://mywits.com/images/uploads/girlsonpole.jpg

pwwuk
7th Jul 2009, 18:37
Jesus Christ! Girls in aircraft, where?!?

Everywhere our forces are deployed or train and many places where men in black do the same. Every aircraft green, grey or black, with a roundel or no markings at all, look inside the cockpit and a young lady may well be looking back, and what's more if the chips are down, be glad they are around, the girls are very much in this town, and if your pilots' flying suit has a few more curves, let the flying be all you deserve.

Long let our young aviators be able to let their hair down, all senses of the term.

thunderbird7
7th Jul 2009, 18:45
Yeah baby yeah! :ok:

JAR FCL
7th Jul 2009, 21:11
Ahhh, airborne_artist, trying to catch me out with that old competition question again. Easy, that Penguins saying "Bloody Hell, I really think the HC2 looks really hot these days."

barnstormer1968
8th Jul 2009, 16:01
Hmmm I always thought the penguin was thinking that the chap that had been wearing the cammo jacket had died with a smile on his face!