PDA

View Full Version : Flying holiday SEP09, in North CA and OR? Where to fly into?

EK380
3rd Jul 2009, 11:28
Hi,

I'm European A330-340 skipper, in the last stages of planning a flying holiday in North California and Oregon.
Together with my wife, who also is a pilot, I'm renting a C172SP out of Livermore,CA.

The trip will take us from Livermore to Portland, Seattle and back to Livermore CA, 8 days or so later with hopefully just above 20 hrs on the hobbs. Planning to do one way along the coast and one way a bit more in land.

How it the coastal CA and OR fog normally early September?

Also, I'm especially looking for interesting places to fly into, north of SFO all the way to Seattle... preferably little airports. We do have mountain flying experience. Also looking for the best airport to fly into to visit Portland and Seattle.

Lastly, the last week of the holiday, we're renting an RV Camper for a week and plan to the Reno air races. Any tips on these? Have never attended them!

Thanks for the feedback

david viewing
3rd Jul 2009, 12:27
I flew the same route as far as Portland in January in a 172.

I refuelled at Redding, very very scenic at the end of the central valley with mountains towering all around, nice FBO, but a very stiff climb to get over the coastal range to the sea, and this solo in Winter!

North Bend is a very welcoming small town with a friendly FBO (Coos Bay Aviation) and courtesy car for overnight or rental for longer. Beautiful beaches, mile upon mile, North of there. My plan was for McMinneville (for the Evergreen Museum - a 'must see') but it was always fogged in so went to Hillsboro' which has a friendly FBO with car rental, only about 30 min from Portland. My plan was to fly the gorge but fog prevented that. Doubtless you could land at Portland Intl' if you wanted to and the gorge flight out to central Oregon would be a good plan if weather favours it.

I crossed the mountains from Eugene to Crater Lake which is a 'must see', quite astounding, but getting up there in summer 2 up in a 172... Better perhaps to route along the Central valley. Klamath Falls is a friendly stopping point. For train fans there is 'Train Mountain' about 30mi N of of Klamath Falls.

N of Portland is Olympia, a very scenic location. I've flown into Sea-Tac in a 172 in the past but no idea what the arrangements for GA would be now. Beyond there is Bellingham, friendly enough, and a 30 min drive to the Canadian border. Flying to Canada is a bit more complicated though. If you are a Brit with a US Visa or waiver you can land at Bellingham to clear customs, but doubtless it's become more complex since I last did it pre-9/11.

Regarding the fog in Oregon, they seem to say 'VFR not recommended' whenever there's fog in the coastal valleys, even though higher ground and slightly higher airports are in the clear. Coastal airports seem to remain clear even if there's fog inland though obviously that depends! The central Valley of Oregon seems to be always VFR.

Hope that helps. PS there's no sales tax in Oregon!

martinprice
4th Jul 2009, 00:16
I think Shelter Cove (0Q5) is a nice place to fly into on the Northern CA coast although I haven't been there. It can get fogged in a lot too. I fly out of Livermore but haven't ventured North. Don't forget to fly a tour of the Bay Area as you leave.

Fog is much less of an issue over the coast (in SF, at least) in September and October so you picked a good time from that point of view.