PDA

View Full Version : TACA's methodology for dealing with the economic crisis

Panama Jack
3rd Jul 2009, 10:32
I am counting three pilots who I know personally who have lost their jobs so far with TACA during the recent month. Perhaps surprisingly to some some, these are not the most junior people, as would typically happen in most airlines who fire in order of reverse seniority.

One First Officer who lost his job was the most senior FO at his base and in line for an upgrade.
One Junior Captain had upgraded from the right seat six months ago and was flying the Embraers.
One other Captain was a mid-seniority Captain on one of the airline's major bases on the Airbus.

At least two of these guys were very happy with their employer and had no intention in going anywhere. Now they are in the tough situation of having to find work in a sparse job market.

Seems that this is a technique to terrorize all pilots. The message: NOBODY is safe. From a business standpoint, it is also rather clever-- get rid of more expensive, senior personnel, and keep cheaper junior people.

In any case, something to consider for people considering a career at Grupo TACA.

AeroDiaz
3rd Jul 2009, 15:48
Any Nicaraguans on the list?. I Hope not!.

Do you know if those pilots have a chance or hope of getting a phone call after things start to improve?. (Am I being too naive by thinking things will improve soon?):sad:

I guess the word "furlough" is not included on Kriete´s dictionary right?. That´s only one of the reasons why I ran away like crazy when my 2 year contract was due with TACA Regional. Otherwise, I´d still be waiting for "my turn to fly the A320" on the RIGHT seat of the Caravan!.

I hope those guys find something quick.

Regards,

DÍAZ

Panama Jack
3rd Jul 2009, 16:16
The pilots that I mention: one is Nicaraguan, one is Costa Rican, the other is Salvadoran. I understand they practiced a real scorched-earth policy in Guatemala and Honduras too.

Fubaliera
6th Jul 2009, 16:48
In the san jose base, 2 senior f/o s on the 320 got screwed on thier upgrade on the embraer. One of thier instructores miguel castill screwed them just like he screwed a 737 f/o for punching the chief pilot at the times son. That 737 f/o eventually died fumigating. I blame his death on miguel castillo. He will get his soon, he is a major besas culos snake

Heading090
7th Jul 2009, 15:44
Anybody knows if TACA has a pilot's Union??
:confused:

Fubaliera
11th Jul 2009, 12:18
The closest thing to a union in Taca is a bar around the airport

Dream Land
13th Jul 2009, 03:21
Sorry to hear about the bad news, here's a couple of ideas:

client Shenzhen Airlines of China.

IAC Group Services Pty Ltd
Contracted Aviation Consultant to IAC Pacific Limited
A Member of the IAC Group of Companies

website: IAC Global - Home (http://www.iacglobal.com) <http://www.iacglobal.com>

and

Vietnam Airlines, contractors are Rishworth Aviation, PARC Aviation, Euro-Pacific, and Direct Personnel Inc. And there is a new airline in Kuwait, I have no details. Another possibility is Tiger Airways - Singapore.

Good luck to crews needing jobs!

varigflier
13th Jul 2009, 09:42
The same thing was(is) happening at TAM. They are firing captains and F/Os in any order they want, not in the order they are supposed to fire. Seniority doesn't mean a thing south of the equator.

captbacardi
26th Jul 2009, 18:57
I apologize if I digress a little from the subject but in this discussion there was mention in one of the posts that TACA is getting rid of some of the senior people. I did a search in this forum and I found that FO's make about $2,500/mo. and captains make about $4,000/mo. Is that still true? I just wonder if getting rid of their captains gives the company a significant saving(just an opinion).

Knight_190
19th Jan 2010, 07:16
Just a quick update, I've heard that there are some F/Os that make from $900 to $1200 flying either airbus or embraer. How's that???

johnrico
19th Jan 2010, 08:09
I can say you are correct. From 1st hand knowledge FO's on EMB's with LACSA enter at apprx. 1200 USD, but half is put in a costa rica account and the other half in a US BofA account so as not to pay full payroll taxes in CR. Thats PURA VIDA!