PDA

View Full Version : Turbine Rating on Cessna Caravan 208B

Caravan74
2nd Jul 2009, 18:02
I am a current CPL holder (India) and need to get the Cessna 208B type rating done. I have heard that there are numerous schools/people in S. Africa offering this training at a much lesser cost compared to the US. Could anyone please provide me with further details. We are 3 of us interested in the course.

Cheers!

EladElap
3rd Jul 2009, 14:23
Sheltam aviation in Port Elizabeth offer a decent conversion onto the 208, last I saw was around R20K mark.

Another place to check is Simuflight based at grand central. They have an excellent 208 simulator which might keep the costs down for your conversion.

chandupilot
23rd Jul 2010, 23:57
Contact Global Aviation Carriers, Inc. a New Jersey based Corporation. They will better guide. A company owned by Senior Airline Transport Pilot who specializes in training Indian Pilots.

Google search will give all the details about Global Aviation Careers, Inc.

robofos
25th Jul 2010, 03:43
when you decide where to go to get a caravan sign off, let us know! i want to get rated in that plane too.

ILS59
25th Jul 2010, 10:00
hey why do you wanna get rated on caravan..? Is there any openings for caravan typerated pilots in India..? Or you people just wanna do it..?

JTrain
25th Jul 2010, 14:29
Glad to hear things have improved at SimuFlight.

When I did my Caravan training there, it was in a Citation sim configured with Caravan speeds and movement characteristics. None of the switches matched (or were even in the right place), had to use one of the thrust levers, there was no condition lever and I had to "pretend" some other switch was fuel.

That being said, Alfredo, Joey, Ronelle, and the rest of the gang there are good good people. I know at the time they were actively improving their sim offerings, to include a 1900 and a Caravan. Did they sell SimyFlight to someone a few years back?

pointer41
25th Jul 2010, 16:57
No, Simuflight still the same senior staff, Alfredo, Danie and Joey, but with more guys and girls, such as Ivan and Lino. The C208 sim is probably the most representative this side of the pyramids, they used a real C208 cockpit!

Ndege-5Y
26th Jul 2010, 13:29
Try 43rd air school advance courses in port Alfred in SA they offer C208 and B1900 type rating. Check there price. You may also check the Federal Air training Center in South africa. Good luck

benjaavpilot
8th Dec 2012, 09:04
sheltam aviation,
43 air school,
are your best bet!
but even in central there are some!

JekiJock
8th Dec 2012, 14:04
She tam is the cheapest I know of at R26000. I wouldn't go there though as it's only 2 hours in the aircraft. Not enough if it's your first turbine.

Simuflight is the best. I think it costs now about R31000. You do about 8 hours in the sim then 1.5 in the aircraft. Brilliant training. The sim has really improved as well. They are now in centurion not grand central.

43 advanced at lanseria is good from what I hear but over priced at close to R40000. They use simuflights sim anyway so it means more moving around. Although I did hear they were building there own.

There are some other places as well but those are the most used.

Cheers,

mehdi18
11th Aug 2013, 12:18
Is there Any Recent feedback on the C208 Type rating in South africa ?