PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help Please: Oxford Aviation Assessment/Aptitude

777-Aviator
2nd Jul 2009, 16:30
Hi there

I will have my assessment and aptitude tests at Oxford Aviation Academy very soon. I'm so much nervous about it, and I need to have a rough idea about what to expect?:confused:

I know this has been asked plenty of times before, but this time I wish to know if there are any significant changes in the tests.

Do they still perform the COMPASS Tests? Any updates about it?
Any specific recommendations/technical guidance tips?:\
I'm doing Maths/Physics on BBC GCSE Bitesize. Is it good enough to cover all subjects?

I will look forward to replies from those who have went through it all recently.

Thank you sooo much for your help.
Wish me luck!

davepearsall
2nd Jul 2009, 16:34
Your right, it has been asked plenty of time before. They do indeed still do the COMPASS test. All you need to know can be found here:

ask.oxfordaviation.net • View topic - Skills Assessment Explained (http://ask.oxfordaviation.net/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4412)

777-Aviator
2nd Jul 2009, 16:51
davepearsall

Thanks for the link. It's pretty useful, but actually the forum is a bit outdated. Not all threads are still alive I'm afraid!

Anyone has done the tests during the past few months?

flyhighspeed300
2nd Jul 2009, 16:54
its not a big thing the test.
i know several pilots that have not pass the test, but gone onto completing there Frozen ATPL and fly for the airliners. but they had to work just that it harder.
here is some of cabairs test to look at...

Assessment and selection (http://www.cabair.com/integrated/assessment.htm)

click on the maths/physic to do there tests.
angles, trig, are a meant to be well used in oxfords test
go over the hard stuff on bbc revision side. use cabairs as a plat form.
aviation is all about test and one other thing. Money!!!!!
the cost is a big one!!!

TheRich23
3rd Jul 2009, 06:36
If you want to part with a little cash in preparation, try this
Pilot computer test software: pilot aptitude test, job application, pilot recruitment, pilapt. (http://www.cockpitweb.com/recruitment.html)

Know recent events in the industry, they like to talk....

Groundloop
3rd Jul 2009, 08:14
Most important part of the test:-

Please answer the following question:

Do you have access to £75,000?

:ok:

rogerg
3rd Jul 2009, 09:08
Even if you give the correct answer to that question you wont get in unless you pass the other tests.

ShipShape 79 Charlie
3rd Jul 2009, 10:54
95% weighted to the 75 grand question......especially as the banks aren't lending it now!

777-Aviator
3rd Jul 2009, 12:04
Well.. My bank is ready to do it... So all I need now is to focus on the assessment.

I will be glad to know about the recent experience of anyone of you with OAT. PLEASE!:confused:

I like planes & stuf
3rd Jul 2009, 12:42
After recent success with my water-proof teabag concern, my bank is now ready to fund my chocolate fire-guard venture.

So as we clearly have the same crazy-mental bank and approach to pointless pursuits; perhaps we should team up. We would make a superb multi-crew with such incredible decision making processes.

Rapha_BA
3rd Jul 2009, 13:24
Dont worry mate,we'll graduate end 2011,going 2012,hopefully jobs will be there!
You haven't asked about the financial implications but the usual negative T:mad:ts are here.take it with a pinch of salt.You didn't asked on their opinion regards finances so tell them to Foxtrot oscar.

In regards to the assesment,the OAA website forum have everything you will need,so good luck!

:ok:

TheBeak
3rd Jul 2009, 15:06
Rapha_BA you have a serious problem with taking information that doesn't fit your picture. You don't put together a logical, fact based argument and your observations are way off the mark. Your incessant need to use expletives shows your level of intelligence. By all means swear, but only when it's necessary, you do it wantonly. It's people like you, with your blatant disregard for finances that is ruining this industry. It's either because you don't understand 'big numbers' or because you have a 'rich daddy'. Some people just can't comprehend tens of thousands of pounds and don't even think about the level of debt they get themselves into. Either way I STRONGLY recommend you get real before you start pilot training.

Dont worry mate,we'll graduate end 2011,going 2012,hopefully jobs will be there

Yeah that's the plan and you'll learn, through flying training, that barely anything goes to plan. You need some contingency, and seriously managed expectations to soften the inevitable blow that's coming your, and lots of other wannabes, way.

ShipShape 79 Charlie
3rd Jul 2009, 15:21
2 arms 2 legs and the CASH....you're IN!
Plenty of schools to part you from your hard or not so hard earned at the moment.......I bet they even try to talk you into the MPL!

clanger32
3rd Jul 2009, 15:32
Thebeak
A) I think you're not far off in your assessment of RaphaBAs post
B) I generally think you write pretty intelligently and with decent insight
but
C) It's people like you, with your blatant disregard for finances that is ruining this industry. It's either because you don't understand 'big numbers' or because you have a 'rich daddy'. Some people just can't comprehend tens of thousands of pounds and don't even think about the level of debt they get themselves into Is perhaps opening yourself right up. IIRC, you are what, 24? At 24 it's HIGHLY unlikely you paid for your training yourself - so perhaps you took a loan, or perhaps someone lent you/gave you/left you the money. Either way, doesn't smell like too different a beast from your accusation of Rapha there...

Rapha. One thing to be bullish about the prospects, but understand that by the time you graduate, there'll be two years worth of unemployed grads, plus all those that have lost their jobs in the lean times looking. all of those will either have hours, or have been building hours and experience. This doesn't mean you won't find a job ahead of any of them....but Thebeak is right, you will find there is a hell of a lot of competition for those jobs that are there....and before you say anything about "...doing really well at FTO and getting a recommendation"...In my class, there was NO ONE who did badly - and the FTO has already stated that recommendations will go to those who have been out the longest. Make no mistake of how hard it will be....

TheBeak
3rd Jul 2009, 15:42
Clanger32, thanks for your initial words. I can assure you I paid for my training all on my own, fortunately back in 2006/2007 there was quite frankly silly money to be made and I had no social life whilst saving it all. It's a fair point on your part but I have financially achieved all of my training all on my own coupled with a relatively small unsecured loan.

Rapha_BA
3rd Jul 2009, 17:35
Well,let's see:English right?ok,I'll speak another 3 languages if it helps you,but my english is good enough to go through pilot training.

Now,go up the page and check what the boy was asking.Can anyone answer me what he was asking?

Assesment!!!!
not your views on HIS finances,or how HE want to pay,why HE wants to pay!so yeah,I'll swear again,is my friggin "uninteligent" mouth,like you say,bugger off!

I didn't ask your opinion on where I'm off too or how much I paid either,getting the job in 2012 or not,or how many people will be "swiming" around waiting for the jobs,my decision,my choice,none of you business!

How dare you?pilot?lol,you're a phathetic joke.
but if you really want to know,I'm in the industry already,I paying it myself,(there's no rich daddy).

anyway,back to the point,the infos on the OAA assesment were updated not long ago,go back there and check it out mate,good luck!

TheBeak
3rd Jul 2009, 18:40
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha......

Robin Byfleet
3rd Jul 2009, 18:49
Well.. My bank is ready to do it... So all I need now is to focus on the assessment.

Bet they want some form of safety net in case something goes wrong?

You may have to put your house or your parents house on the line, if you fail to pay back the interest on the loan or the capital.

The banks always win.

777-Aviator
3rd Jul 2009, 20:54
Guys, I didn't think that you will make a 100% drift off subject! All what I care to know is the answer to my inquiry. So if you do have something related, please do share it here.

Thanks.

Rapha_BA
3rd Jul 2009, 22:45
The beak-Just like I said,a joke,to be laughed at!glad you get my point.

Now to you 777-aviator,I think is the right link ask.oxfordaviation.net • View topic - Skills Assessment Explained (http://ask.oxfordaviation.net/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4412)

Get some research done,be proactive,it must be your victory!Work on your maths and physics and above all take pprune with a pinch of salt,a lot of people here are frustrated with their own failures and spend their days trying to put people off flight training,most of them think they are Prophets,you can't argue because they always know(or think they do)more than you!it must be YOUR decision.

I've been through the OAA assesment,if you have any questions just pm me:ok:

davepearsall
3rd Jul 2009, 22:54
We've now been full circle.

That's the link I gave in the 1st reply. :ok:

777-Aviator - It may be old, but still very very very relevant.

Adios
3rd Jul 2009, 23:08
777-Aviator,

You're being a bit thick here. The link in the second post is what you need. It makes no difference how old it is because OAA hasn't changed their assessment. If you had just accepted the simple answer, the thread would never have drifted.

Furthermore, there are plenty of recent posts here and on OAA's forum. How much spoon feeding do you need?

777-Aviator
3rd Jul 2009, 23:21
Great to know that the assessment hasn't changed!

Thank you all :ok:

Bealzebub
3rd Jul 2009, 23:28
A bit of an aside and to be fair this has nothing to do with the school, but one more aptitude assesment you should be aware of before you go.
There is a something of a scam taking place with the car park contractor at Oxford airport.

You will be told to pre-register your car in order to park at Oxford airport. When you do this by phone, you may be told that it is only necessary to do this when you actually arrive. Following this instruction, you report to the security hut and are then told where to park. The surprise will come 7 days later when you receive a letter from the parking contractor who will send you what is designed to look like a court summons demanding £90 with menaces. When you ring the school and the airport operator they are all aware of the practice, sigh in acknowledgment, but distance themselves from any involvement or ability to assist.

I know of two people who have been caught out by this in the last month alone. The contractor has a high profile history of appearing on "Watchdog" and other consumer protection sites.

Beware!