PDA

View Full Version : OFT Hourbuilding situ?

jonnyhock
2nd Jul 2009, 12:30
Hi, im looking for an update from anyone who has done their hourbuilding at OFT recently? State of the aircraft, maintenance, availability, How far in advance you had to book to get the hours/aircraft you wanted, that sort of thing?

I know there has been a few threads already on this but things change fast so im only looking for feedback from people who have been there in the last month or so.

Many thanks

Fingermouse
30th Jul 2009, 23:28
I am currently attending oft and have seen many students come and GO because of various issues with their business model :=.

The consencus seems to be that if you are doing hour building here oft is only just about bearable to get your hours complete. Be prepared to have to fly dual hours with an instructor (more than neccessary) before they let you get on with your hour building, I have seen this first hand repeatedly recently. Be aware that planes are currently unavailable on a Sunday when you are booking your plane tickets and allow enough time because of this. Do not keep money in your 'account' at oft for it will deplete extremely quickly! -Instead pay as you go if you can. Be aware that you cannot withdraw money again from your account without incurring a 25% withdrawal fee.

Right now the weather is'nt very good for flying, you will need to turn up at 8AM to ensure you get a slot in a suitable plane, and also the weather should be good enough to get a flying session in. You can also wait until the end of the day when most students' slots are complete and have planes available then, the weather tends to be awful in the evening as it is right now however.

The planes numbers beginning N6..... tend to be the craft in better condition with less things out of service upon them.

Try not to stay in their student apartments if possible, there are much better apartments available for a lot less money. If you have to then insist upon 'venetian bay' and not 'kissimmee pines'.

Planes can be available instantly if they are available... its better they earn their keep then stay on the ground.

polohippo
31st Jul 2009, 11:55
Why would you bother going there, do a search and read the horror stories. If it's just hour building you want then go to an FAA only school, the rates are usually better and the aircraft in better condition.

Golf--Lima--Papa
31st Jul 2009, 13:27
I agree, I really dont understand why people want to go to these 'JAA' schools in the US for hour building, You would probably be cheaper doing it the UK.

If you are going to the states use a FAA school for your hourbuilding, I'm just waiting on my piggyback licence coming through and the school I'm going to is only 55 quid per hour for a 152 (wet).

Good Luck.

flyhighspeed300
2nd Aug 2009, 10:01
if you cannot get into OFT in the states try OBA (Ormond Beach Aviation)
Ormond Beach Aviation - JAA PPL USA UK Flight Training USA, Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach, Orlando, naples, FL,Florida specializing in JAA JAR PPL,airplane training,IMC,Night,Multi,FAA,Radio licence, JAA ATPL,professional pilot program (http://www.flyoba.com/)

will be cheaper than OFT, + they give you the aircraft for the complete day.
only one thing is that you will be asked to fly 5-6hours every day. but its less time out in america and more hours gain quickly keeping also the living cost down as well.

polohippo
2nd Aug 2009, 10:55
Again read the horror stories. You do not need to go to a JAA school. The aircraft at most of them are in poor condition and usually cost much more than from an FAA school. Yes they also make you do a minimum number of hours per day which can catch you out big time if the weather turns bad etc etc.

I know this as I spent almost 2 years in Florida and visit on a regular basis.

A google search will provide you with a list of schools, e-mail or call them and get something sorted, or go to a JAA school and bitch about it on here when you get back!

ridinggirl
16th Oct 2009, 05:55
I'm heading out tomorrow for a week if anyone wants to share some hour building time?

Capt Loop
17th Oct 2009, 18:33
From very recent flying experience of flying in Florida.

I would NEVER go back to OFT.... (all the posts are true) and a recent trip to OBA has left me feeling they are changing for the worse....

Would definately use Sunstate Aviation at Kissimmee. have done a fair amount of flying both IR and FAA CPL over the last 4 years and they have NEVER let me down unlike other schools.

They are an FAA school with new 172 - G1000's. Very well maintained with good instructors and excellent staff.

whistling turtle
17th Oct 2009, 22:42
I completely agree with Capt Loop's post above in every respect and would also highly recommend Sunstate Aviation in Kissimmee - it may seem expensive compared to other Florida schools but that is just because of the high quality you get in return.
Another thing is it costs less to hour build there in a brand new Cessna 172 glass cockpit aircraft per hour than it does in over 95% of UK and Irish schools who are using 25 year old Cessna 152's etc.

itsbrokenagain
19th Oct 2009, 02:19
" if you cannot get into OFT in the states try OBA (Ormond Beach Aviation) ", its not April fools day is it?

Thats funny dude!

itsbrokenagain
19th Oct 2009, 15:06
First thing as you know already any school that advertises a VFR flight training course in a set time frame is just full of BS, even in Florida.

Why dont you do it at home? Is it really cheaper to do it in Florida, or is it just the fact that you want it done in a concentrated time frame in a place away from the normal BS things of life. As personally I would say do the professional flight training in the airspace where you will be professionally operating (sure you could get a international gig flying out to the USA, but you will still be Europe based)

Just my 2 bobs worth

gg190
25th Oct 2009, 17:04
I would advise anyone to stay away from OFT, as has been said before they are just one giant horror story.

For hour building Sunstate aviation are fantastic, did 30 hours in a C172 with 'legacy' instruments in Feb of this year, could not fault them at all.

chrisbl
25th Oct 2009, 20:02
I posted this on another thread so apologies for posting it again:

I am on a business trip to Orlando and decided to do my BFR whilst here.

Difficult to find somewhere where there was not a lot of Bull S*** involved. Anyway discovered Flightready Aviation at Orlando Executive.

They only have one C172, regular six pack of instruments but they managed to fit in both a BFR and IPC around my business schedule.

The BFR with one hour of ground school and one hour of training came to $174 and my credit card is showing the princely sum of £108. Great value for what I wanted.

As we took off at dusk, I got both a night landing out of it and a chance to fly over downtown Orlando at 1000'

Having done that I was offered the aircraft to rent at $95 wet per hour.

If you are interested contact the Chief Instructor Scott Sindelar, where they are prepared to give a 10% discount for a 10 hour block..

[email protected] ([email protected]) or look them up on http://www.flightreadyaviation.com (http://www.flightreadyaviation.com/)