PDA

View Full Version : Bristol GS NAV

Fitnesspilot737
2nd Jul 2009, 11:08
Hey all. I started the distance learning with bristol about 6/7 weeks ago. I am almost finished the first module (7 exam topics) but I am still having some problems understanding some NAV theory not to mention some INSTRUMENT stuff. I read the NAV section then when it comes to the tests I get so lost and confused about what they are asking me. I end up ending the test session to get the answers and the explanations provided before I can actually go and do it again. Does anyone else have this problem? My brush up course is in mid Aug so I hope I can get an understanding of it by then.

Andy_20
2nd Jul 2009, 12:50
Are you hitting the Question bank? also arent there 8 exams in the first module? i finished mod 1 earlier this year! i felt the books were alot more in depth then required for the exams!

Brush up course should sort you out with any problems you are having (be prepared to work long evenings). The fact youve finished the theory in 6/7 weeks is impressive, took me around 3/4 months.

if you want any help pm me. good luck :ok:

Fitnesspilot737
2nd Jul 2009, 17:09
Sorry, yes there are 8. I havnt started to hit the question bank yet. I was going to finish the course first and then start concentrating on the questions in the bank. Maybe I should start the question bank now, during taking the course???? Is that what most people do???

TheRich23
3rd Jul 2009, 06:28
Use the search facility on the question bank, enter the topics you are struggling with, it will give you a list to work on...

Andy_20
3rd Jul 2009, 06:54
I wouldnt advise starting the QB until you have finished the theory content. I was in the same boat as you by the time i was finishing the theory i was struggling to remember the formulas etc from the 1st couple of weeks. get through the content and hit the question bank. i found the theory more in depth than needed for the exams. What specifically are you having problems with?

Capt Pit Bull
3rd Jul 2009, 08:34
You should look at this in the context of how you are getting on with the other subjects, and how much time you have.

It sounds to me like you've tried to run before learning how to walk. You knew you were struggling with the tests but you just pushed on through the content anyway.

Personally, I'd recommend going back through the material and making sure you actually understand it. If you get stuck on something, don't just cross your fingers and hope it'll magically come good in the end. Resolve the issue. Use the forum tools on BGS's forums to search - the odd are someone else will already have asked about the same topic. If that doesn't work, ask about it. The instructors are pretty good about responding there. You'll also find other students may respond as well, they can be a geat source of info especially if they've just been studying the same thing. Often they respond more rapidly than an instructor, especially if there is a course on, as folks like Baz are often in class a large proportion of the time.

pb

Fitnesspilot737
3rd Jul 2009, 12:25
Thats exactly what im doing. I decided to go through the other subjects first then come back to the subjects that were causing me difficulty. I think its imperative that it is understood rather than just read. Thats where most of my concerns really are. Do I actually understand it?!! That will be answered when I do the tests again. I will use the bristol forum in future and sign up for the question bank when I get the course completed. Thanks guys. Oh.....and if there are guys reading this who have been through Bristol GS did you manage to pass the exams first time??

CharlieSierra
3rd Jul 2009, 17:41
Don't worry too much, the BGS brush up course is very good for sorting out problems and you do that many practice exams that by the end of the 2nd week you'll be well ready for your exams. I found gyros confusing until the brush up but somehow got 100% in the Instrument exam mostly thanks to Derek H. Overall, I found BGS to be very professional, they got me through all of the exams 1st time with a 95% average.

Kerosine
4th Jul 2009, 17:16
I started the distance learning with bristol about 6/7 weeks ago. I am almost finished the first module...

Is such a short time frame normal/practical for distance learning?? That's a LOT of theory to learn before August :eek:

Fitnesspilot737
4th Jul 2009, 17:36
My exams are not actually until sept. I have an FAA CPL so I have some previous knowledge but a lot of the theory is FOREIGN. I still have a bit to go before I complete the module but I want a month to brush up myself and hit the queston bank. Im hoping the second module is easier