PDA

View Full Version : Senior GA roles, what's going on?

aviator777
1st Jul 2009, 15:57
I've noted a number of senior roles in GA advertised over the last 6 months or so (CFI/CP, Check and Training) all over the country.

Given that we are feeling the effects of the GFC and majors are all on hiring freezes, where are all these people going?

Is there still a trickle of hiring in the "hidden job market", retirement, dissatisfied and leaving, tired of the industry trends (heavy regulation and personal legal liability), going overseas???????

Horatio Leafblower
1st Jul 2009, 20:24
I know of one operation where the internal candidate failed the CP assessment and the MD has now imported a new CP candidate on a 457 visa :ugh:

I wonder if the hiring boom of the last 2-3 years has drained a lot of the talent from the GA pool meaning that the natural progression through the ranks is interrupted.

As to where the CPs/C&Ts are going... I dunno... global warming? Threatened species? :confused:

bushy
2nd Jul 2009, 04:27
Experienced GA pilots have not been around for some time, and some "less than experienced" pilots get to be CP's.
We will never achieve decent standards in GA while we have the instability and transient factors that exist.
We have "propped up" the airlines for too long. It's time they trained their own pilots, or at least made provisional agreements with the airline pilot wannabies before they train.

Captain Nomad
2nd Jul 2009, 04:51
One of the C&T positions advertised is due to a major restructure/development of the C&T department of the company concerned.

Andy05
2nd Jul 2009, 04:52
the sad thing is that in this industry there are few which pay the award wage in GA especially when starting of, as much as I love flying I also enjoy eating and paying my bills on time. So as soon as the airlines start recruiting there will be a long line of young pilots hoping to get a job and GA will lose more pilots and the cycle continues. At the moment I'm getting alot of satisfaction from instructing and would consider being a career instructor if I got a liveable pay. GA needs to look at ways to keep guys long term which adds to the stability of the company and the industry.

Andy05

The Green Goblin
2nd Jul 2009, 05:01
At the moment I'm getting alot of satisfaction from instructing

At the moment :E

bushy
2nd Jul 2009, 06:39
Are you getting the award wage, or less??
Do you tell your students about the lack of jobs and money??
Are you part of the problem, or adding to it??

bensonC
2nd Jul 2009, 08:25
Heard that CASA has put on a few more FOI positions and has poached/enticed a few of the very experienced GA people for these jobs.

bestpilotindaworld
3rd Jul 2009, 07:44
This is my situation now. NOBODY told me of the crap pay and conditions. If they had I wouldn't be wasting time job hunting, I'd have graduated from university and done something else that interests me.

Did you not look into flying jobs before you started flying. If you are going to say things like I'D HAVE GRADUATED FROM UNIVERSITY AND DONE SOMETHING ELSE THAT INTERESTS ME flying is not for you!!

mcgrath50
3rd Jul 2009, 09:14
I think the best pilot was trying to say, most of the guys are happy to battle through the crap pay and conditions because they love to fly. He is also saying it is not a closely guarded secret the pay and conditions are crap, every second thread here discusses that fact!

(Note: I don't agree or disagree with what he says, just translating because he raises an interesting point)

Towering Q
3rd Jul 2009, 14:50
So what you're saying is that to be a pilot you can have no other interests?

Only 3.....Wine, women and song.:E

the wizard of auz
3rd Jul 2009, 23:23
Woohoo...... that qualification suits me.......... I'm gunna be a pilot.

OpsNormal
4th Jul 2009, 01:10
Don't tell everyone though Wiz. I still tell my mum (what you tell Lefty's mum is up to you) that I'm a piano player in a whore house....:}:ok:

Getting back on topic, there have been a number of people caught without a seat (or on a precarious perch) for one reason or another when the music stopped earlier this year. For the most part recently there hasn't been much in the way of movement in the upper end of GA except for the odd operator that advertises for (specifically previously experienced in either management or training) candidates first to try and keep costs down in this financially testing environment before promoting from within.

Many companies at the moment simply do not have the dollars to splash around on training their own trainers and will look at all options first before making the decision to do so. I daresay that is why we are now seeing a slow increase in the number of management pilot positions being advertised.

Regards,

OpsN.;)