PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice...

Mark3618
1st Jul 2009, 09:59
Hi all,

I have always wanted to be an airline pilot. I am 25yrs old and currently working in IT but on a low wage (sadly!). I have 60hrs training towards a PPL with 10hrs solo. But the last time I flew was years ago.. I stopped when I went to uni (to do IT) to concentrate on my studies and I have not been able to save any money at all. All my money has gone on cost of living expenses.

I attended the CTC McAlpine Tests for easyJet and JMC a few years ago for a potential sponsorship, but didn't get through. I really struggled with the group tests. I am aware that sponsorships are far and few nowadays.

I still really want to be a pilot and am looking for some advice really on the best way to persue this from my current situation/age.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Superpilot
1st Jul 2009, 12:26
I'm guessing your primary concern is money/time to completion. Well, if you're not afraid of a little bit of risk and hard graft (long hours) then ditch your easy going, peanut paying permanent IT job for contracting. You'll take home up to 3 times more. However as a contractor you really need to know your stuff as you'll be expected to hit the ground running. It can at times be 3 times as much work but the money is still worth it. Believe me. Can I ask which area of IT are you in? support, dev or B.I?

Without such a move I'd still be sitting here with my PPL. In 2.5 years I saved enough to complete my ATPL exams, hour building, CPL, ME, IR, MCC and A320 TR with only a tiny bit of debt. (debt owed mainly because I left a contract to do the TR and then couldn’t find one again for a while!). In all this time, I've had a mortgage to pay, a house to run and 2 kids. There's proof if you need it, that you need to go contracting!

Right now, the market is completely dead. But keep plugging away and you never know. It took me the best part of 4 months to find something decent. In IT that is! I've already resigned myself to the fact that I may not find a paid flying job for a couple of years :(. Can't afford to live as an F.I.

I think if you made the transition this year you will be nicely poised for opportunities in 3-4 years time. One thing remains true and that is that competition is fierce right now as ever. And it will get worse. However, you need to do your own risk analysis for that.

Regardless, there are many examples of folks who made the transition from permy to contractor and are now very happy bunnies indeed, 'desk-pilot' being one example.

Kelly Hopper
1st Jul 2009, 12:45
In 2.5 years I saved enough to complete my ATPL exams, hour building, CPL, ME, IR, MCC and A320 TR. I've had a mortgage to pay, a house to run and 2 kids

As if I needed reminding: I'm in the wrong career!

clanger32
1st Jul 2009, 13:31
Superpilot - and me for too. Very similar story, although was earning very good money as a perm anyway. Made the jump.....took two months to find my first contract, and then earnt enough to pay for OAA integrated in less than a year, with no debt at all. However, also had a very highly paid wife who took care of mortgage and house/clanger running costs and no kids (at the time, although I now have a 6 week old junior clanger) whilst I was learning.

Would reiterate that at the moment you should be in no hurry to complete....it is highly, highly competitive and going contracting to A) get money and B) build some really, really salable skills outside of aviation is a really, really good idea.

God knows that I am grateful as hell I managed to go straight back into my old role right now....

On a different note, at 25, you have loads and loads of time - so don't feel time pressured - the biggest pressure is probably your own desire to go and do it....resist that, earn as much as you can and you'll be fine.

Mark3618
2nd Jul 2009, 08:00
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I know enough about what I do, to go contracting but enough for permanent. Maybe I will start looking for more highly paid permanent ones instead and save up that way.

I will try not to feel pressured too, and concentrate on those savings for my ATPL.

Mark.

Superpilot
2nd Jul 2009, 11:15
I don't think I know enough about what I do, to go contracting but enough for permanent

Contractors are not necessarily experienced professionals, they are merely people who prefer the money/lifestyle associated with temporary and adhoc work. When I switched to contracting, I had 4 years experience in perm roles and was 24.

If you feel you're week at what you do then make yourself stronger. It doesn't always cost money to better oneself. Especially not nowadays. Your success lies in how much you push yourself towards achieving the highest possible goal. Nobody is born clever.

All the best