PDA

View Full Version : Ferry flight Melbourne to maldives

glenb
1st Jul 2009, 04:46
Looks like a ferry flight coming up in a couple of weeks from Melbourne to Maldives. Keen to get any feedback or suggestions from anyone that has done a similar trip. Any flightplanning tips or suggestions on companies to assist with the prep etc. Obviously know about Jepp but if anyone can recommend any other companies that would be appreciated. Places to avoid or good stoppoff recommendations needed. cheers.

dhavillandpilot
1st Jul 2009, 04:55
White rose aviation in the UK, they did my AUST/UK/AUST with littl;e fuss and reasonable rates.

Buster Hyman
1st Jul 2009, 06:45
ETOPS would be handy. ;)

goin'flyin
1st Jul 2009, 09:54
Some more details could help with suggested stopovers.
What aircraft type - ie Range/Speed etc

I did the reverse mid last year as part of a ferry from Europe to Aus.

glenb
1st Jul 2009, 10:10
Aztec, 160 knots, 7 hours endurance. cheers.

CharlieLimaX-Ray
1st Jul 2009, 12:53
What is your bladder endurance?

Mr Milk
1st Jul 2009, 13:05
So which old aztruck is leaving us? Would have to be KMA wouldn't it?

Howard Hughes
2nd Jul 2009, 00:59
Life jacket, life raft, several EPIRB's (406 compliant of course)...;)

Dogimed
2nd Jul 2009, 01:15
Stay at the Hul Hule in Male..on the airport island, not the main island.

Dog

goin'flyin
2nd Jul 2009, 03:37
For that portion of our ferry last year we did:

Male - Colombo - Langkawi - Bali - Port Hedland

We were a fair bit quicker than you and going the other direction, so you may not have the range for a couple of those longer legs.

Take a lot of green backs with you (they make things happen in a lot of places that otherwise you would get nothing achieved)

Can't recommend highly enough, the guys at Universal Aviation in Bali if you go that way. By far the best ground handling service on our entire trip. :ok:

DBTW
2nd Jul 2009, 04:22
White Rose aviation in the UK, they did my AUST/UK/AUST with little fuss and reasonable rates.

A worthwhile investment, and the bloke really helps along route if you need it.

Can't recommend highly enough, the guys at Universal Aviation in Bali if you go that way.

Agreed. These guys will sort all your requirements in Indonesia (inlcuding the overflight clearances and any other handling you need at other airports) so you should mention that to White Rose (because he uses someone else).

The shortest overwater leg across to Colombo is around 950 miles and your TAS/endurance sounds like you would be tight and without many options in the event of adverse wind/weather. Can you fit a ferry tank?

It should be fun!

magvelda
10th Jul 2009, 18:50
Hi

Many Thanks.

I will be delighted to help.

The gentleman in question has already contacted me.

I will look after him like I always look after my clients:ok:

The result of the cricket will make no difference.... I always do my best:ok:

Best Wishes

Mike Gray

Thanks to DBTW & dhavillandpilot