PDA

View Full Version : What does instrument time mean ? (Not IFR)

StarStalker
30th Jun 2009, 19:24
Here is my story in brief

Got PPL from Philippines > want to do CPL from Australia > need to convert CAAP PPL to Australian one.

So I checked out the rules and this is what it says.

AERONAUTICAL EXPERIENCE
Meets aeronautical experience requirements (CAR 5.84) of 40 hours total flight time as a pilot that includes:
♦ 5 hours of general flight time as pilot in command
♦ 5 hours of cross country flight time as pilot in command
♦ 2 hours of instrument flight time
Now I have 80 hours of flight time but What do they mean by 2 hours of instrument flight time ? In order to get my PPL in Philippines I did not have any instrument rating, so what to they mean by that ?

Can someone help me understand..

GBB
30th Jun 2009, 19:49
Didnt you do like basic instrument flying with the hood/foggles/shades on?
Check your logbook, I think you should have there at least two hours of instrument.

helimutt
30th Jun 2009, 19:49
I would imagine it means fliying with sole reference to instruments. Go and get an examiner/instructor to take you flying, you using foggles etc and do some instrument training. Then log the two hours you fly doing that. Simples!

Tinstaafl
1st Jul 2009, 19:25
Instrument Time refers to controlling the aircraft by sole reference to the instruments ie not by looking out the window. Occurs when the aircraft is flown in Instrument Meteorogical Conditions (IMC) instead of Visual Meteorological Conditions. Can also be logged under simulated IMC ie when the pilot uses a view limiting device such as a hood, foggles, louvred screens (so the safety pilot can still see out) or two stage amber & blue screens.

Only that time during which the pilot is controlling the aircraft while under the hood can be logged, so take-off & landing periods aren't included nor any other period when the screens/hoods aren't in use. Time in a synthetic trainer or simulator can also be logged as IF if the device is flown by reference to its instruments and not by reference to any exterior graphics.

Oz licences require certain amounts of IF time as part of the prerequisites for the licence. It's included in the training syllabus for the licence with some proportion of synthetic trainer/simulator time allowable. Two hours minimum for the PPL with up to 1 hour allowed to be in a sim., for example.

StarStalker
1st Jul 2009, 20:46
Thanks a lot for the info. Unfortunately this was not included oe necessary for a PPL in the philippines. Guess I will have to get it done on request. Again thanks for the help guys