PDA

View Full Version : Selective web address access

SimWes
30th Jun 2009, 17:20
I was wondering if anybody can shed some light on a strange problem that I’m currently experiencing whilst connected to the internet?

When I’m connected (wireless or plugged into the Belkin router) via Virgin Media it stops me from accessing various sites (Facebook, virgin holiday, virgin web mail are only the ones I know of)

I also can’t download my emails via Windows Mail (my laptop is running Vista)

However when I connect via the work’s wireless network there doesn’t seem to be a problem. Everything works fine. Emails download and I can access the above sites

I normally use Firefox 3, but have also tried Internet Explorer 7 to no avail. Norton 360 is in use (both when using it at home and at work)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

green granite
30th Jun 2009, 19:39
Try using one of the public DNS servers such as : Free fast Public DNS Servers List (http://theos.in/windows-xp/free-fast-public-dns-server-list/)

RobAnt
2nd Jul 2009, 22:42
Having used ZoneAlarm free for many years, and even a long time under Vista, I have recently found that it was causing me to lose connection to the Internet after a couple of hours continuous use (while all the other computers I have on my local area network at home were working properly), forcing me to reboot.

So, if you're using the latest version of ZA Free, then I recommend using Vista's own firewall instead. It seems to have improved since XP's offering both inwards control and only allowing authorised local applications to access the Internet. Which is the same functionality (if somewhat differently managed) as ZA Free anyway.

SimWes
4th Jul 2009, 18:48
Thanks for the advice

For some reason it came back without having to do anything

No idea why, but thanks anyway :ok:

Mike-Bracknell
6th Jul 2009, 17:32
Firstly, check your MTU settings on your router if you're experiencing this. It may sound like a strange thing to ask, but some ISPs are using some shonky MTU settings.

Secondly - I would *NOT* recommend using a third party firewall under Windows unless you absolutely understand what you're doing and need to use it for a specific purpose.

A mis-configured firewall is worse than not having a firewall in many cases.

The Windows built-in firewalls, from XP Service Pack 2 onwards, are recommended instead. This is because 3rd party firewalls generally don't "understand" the inner workings of Windows and your network to any great degree, and are prone to ask you (in a split second) whether you want to block something or not.....and if you've not been paying attention and you block a service that's crucial to the smooth operation of Windows, then your system will crawl to a halt whilst waiting for timeouts (and it's likely to be pretty damn slow already from having to run that third party firewall in the loop in the first place).

Seriously, a whole HOST of "problems" could be solved by junking all these "internet security" all-in-one antivirus & firewall packages, and going with a free (for personal use) AV product such as AVG or Avast, and the Windows Firewall.

Cheers,
Mike.