PDA

View Full Version : RAF Fighter Reconnaissance (Meteor FR.9 era)

DougGordon
30th Jun 2009, 08:37
I am currently researching the role and mission of the Meteor FR.9 in service with 2, 79 and 208 squadrons and with the Arabian Peninsular Reconnaissance Flight which was attached to 8 squadron.
I am keen to contact anyone who was associated with the aircraft and the squadrons at this time.
Please get in touch.

Jackonicko
30th Jun 2009, 09:44
Good luck! A much-neglected but fascinating aircraft. Will you look at the Israeli ones (which gained air-to-air kills) and the Ecuadorian FR9s, which served into the 70s?

i believe that the Arabian Recce Flight was re-designated as 1417 during the Meteor era - but could be wrong, and that at one stage, the type was used by 8, rather than merely by a Flight attached to 8.

DougGordon
30th Jun 2009, 12:20
Thanks for the reply.
I certainly want to look at overseas use of the aircraft. I have been fortunate to have been contacted by two pilots so far; one who was with 1417 Flight (yes you are right) in Aden and the other with 79 squadron.
In order to do full justice to the aircraft and the people who flew it or were otherwise associated with it, I need a lot more however. So here's hoping!