PDA

View Full Version : Memory Problems

TerminalTrotter
29th Jun 2009, 14:12
I have a PC running XP, has two DDR333 256 Mb memory sticks fitted. When I start up, the Bios(I Think) informs me that there is 256Mb memory available. PC seems very slow.

Can I take one out and see what happens, or is that too simple? I have a 512 Mb DDR400 memory stick looking for a home. Can I put that in?

I am OK mucking about with the hardware, but my knowledge of what goes on inside it is about one degree above zero.

Hope you can help,

Regards

TT

Jofm5
29th Jun 2009, 14:41
TT,

Try re-seating (extract and re-insert) them both first to see if its an oxidised connection. If that does not cure it then you can try removing one of each stick at a time.

Typically you cannot mix DDR400 memory with DDR333 (especially in the same memory bank). If your motherboard can cope with DDR400 you would be slightly better off binning the 2x256 and using the single 400mhz - and if possible buying another 512mb or 1gb

Cheers

TerminalTrotter
29th Jun 2009, 15:14
jofm5

Thanks for that. Done what you said, plus rubbed the contacts with an India rubber, just for luck. No change. I think I'll have to look into it deeper. A Belarc test I ran a while ago told me that I have 512 Mb of memory and three empty slots. Now I look at it there are only two slots and both in use. I need some more info before I go any further.

Thanks again

TT

Jofm5
29th Jun 2009, 15:23
TT,

You could run the memory advisor tool available on RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com (http://www.crucial.com/) and often on other memory manufacturer/supplier sites.

This will tell you what you have and what can be installed - it might let you know if your motherboard can support the DDR400

TerminalTrotter
29th Jun 2009, 17:32
Thanks Jofm5,

done that now. It misidentifies the motherboard, same as Belarc, says I have an Award board with three slots. however, I looked at the MB and it is a Jetway A689DAS, so put that into site and it tells me I can use DDR400, but should use it in matched pairs. So I will get another 512Mb DDR400 and install that with the one I have. This will no doubt lead to an astounding (for me) increase in speed, agility, and general all round Vroom!

Thanks Very much for the help.

Regards,

TT

Jofm5
29th Jun 2009, 17:35
Cool,

For the time being you can run it off the single DDR400 that you have - a matched pair is only required if you want to run two mermory modules in a wide config.

At least you will be back to 512mb with the single until your second one comes.

Cheers

twiggs
29th Jun 2009, 23:24
I agree, don't wait for the new memory to arrive, throw in the DDR400 that you have by itself and see if it works and gives you a performance increase.

Another check to do is to see how much RAM XP is reporting, Right click My Computer > Properties > General.

TerminalTrotter
30th Jun 2009, 21:21
Thanks fellers. will try that in the morning. just got in and will have to relieve sticky fingered son of memory stick first - a job best done when rested. Regards, TT Edit. Followed your suggestion re. 'My Computer' guess what, 512 Mbs. So whatever that number flashing by as it starts up refers to, it obviously isn't that. Still, 512 is obviously only for kids. Grown men have 1Mb, so I will obviousl have to do it anyway. thanks again, TT.

twiggs
30th Jun 2009, 23:36
If you would like to know what the 256MB that is being reported in the POST screen is, hit the pause key when it flashes up.
Maybe it is reporting the RAM for your Graphics card?

TerminalTrotter
2nd Jul 2009, 12:43
Fitted DDR400 512Mb memory just now. I'm here, so it works. Only minor abrasions from fracas with sticky fingered son and heir, but went more rounds than I'd bargained for. Probably self delusional, but seems a fraction quicker than before. Will order new memory and then be up there with the big boys.(1 whole Gig!!) @Twiggs I'll give it a go re. graphics memory, but not too bothered as ambitions limited about games etc. Would it speed up photo editing if I had a better graphics card? I don't do video. Thanks to you both for the help. TT

TerminalTrotter
4th Jul 2009, 07:34
Unrelated, but can anyone tell me why my posts come out without line spaces? They worked at the top of the thread. TT

Loose rivets
4th Jul 2009, 16:11
did u edit it?

http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/379177-computer-causing-me-overheat.html#post5023834

Keef
4th Jul 2009, 17:47
Unrelated, but can anyone tell me why my posts come out without line spaces? They worked at the top of the thread. TT

Mine started doing that, too.

It was suggested I delete all PPRuNe cookies and start the browser again. That seemed to fix it.

TerminalTrotter
7th Jul 2009, 13:32
Being a paranoid type, all my cookies turn off when I turn off. I have just tried changing the gubbins in the user CP so this is a test to see if that changes anything. It was on WYSIWYG so I suspect that nothing much will change. TT

TerminalTrotter
7th Jul 2009, 13:37
Being a paranoid type, all my cookies turn off when I turn off. I have just tried changing the gubbins in the user CP so this is a test to see if that changes anything. It was on WYSIWYG so I suspect that nothing much will change.
Cheerio on Jetblast showed me this trick, ( < b r / >)but its a bit laborious
TT