PDA

View Full Version : Parachuting endorsement/rating

Cougar
29th Jun 2009, 12:07
Hi guys,
Please excuse the ignorance, but I cannot find any reference to this:

What do you need to do to get a parachuting endorsement/rating?

Is it an endorsement or rating? How many hours do you need to do to get it?

Where on the east coast can you get one? Aircraft type?

Not looking for a job, just interested atm.

D-J
29th Jun 2009, 12:19
At this time in oz there isn't a rating for para ops (there will be in the near future, something along the lines of what they have in NZ i believe )

pretty much all you need is 200hrs TT & 10hrs on type unless you a skydiver already with a 'D' license then 120hrs with 10 on type

only way to get experience in meat bombing is get a job or go skydiving

tmpffisch
29th Jun 2009, 12:19
Quick google found some info:

An APF member must not make a parachute descent unless the descent is conducted from

an aircraft in which the pilot in command:

(a) is the holder of at least a private pilot licence, valid for that type of aircraft, which isnot endorsed with any condition limiting him or her to flying within a specified distance from an aerodrome; and

(b) if the pilot in command is the holder of a parachutist certificate “D” or higher — he or she has not less than 120 hours total aeronautical experience, of which not less than 70hours must be as pilot in command; and(c) if the pilot in command is not the holder of a parachutist certificate “D” or higher — heor she has not less than 200 hours total aeronautical experience, of which not less than 100 hours must be as pilot in command or is the holder of at least a commercial pilot licence valid for that type of aircraft; and(d) has not less than 10 hours aeronautical experience as pilot in command of the aircraft type from which the descent is made. For high-wing Cessna aeroplanes, time accrued on the more complex types may be credited for the less complex types in accordance with Appendix 3 (of this manual); and(e) if the descent is made from a balloon — is the holder of at least a commercial pilot (balloon) licence or a Private Pilot (Balloon) Certificate issued by the Australian Ballooning Federation, and has not less than 75 hours aeronautical experience as pilot in command of balloons.

http://www.apf.asn.au/documents/pdf/Manuals/Jump_Pilot_Manual_05.pdf

NNB
30th Jun 2009, 01:11
Cougar,
you might just go to a drop zone and talk to the pilot(s) there.

I continue to find it "amusing" that people consider/think that flying jumpers is an easy road to go down. Outside flying AG, flying jumpers is potentially thye most lethal form of flying that you can get involved in.

Of the hundreds of wannabes that have spoken with me over the years, most are only looking for a steping stone to somewhere else.

It takes a long time to train up a jump pilot to the stage that they are able to do the job consistantly well. ie ..not frightening the jumpers and the operator.

It is all about aptitude, airmanship and dedication to task, unfortunately the first two are in VERY short supply these days.
NNB

YPJT
30th Jun 2009, 01:22
It is all about aptitude, airmanship and dedication to taskUnfortunately, too many meat missile operators expect these qualities for the price of a few beers and slop from the DZ kitchen.:yuk:
Maybe the proposed new regs will give pilots some of the clout they need and deserve.

D-J
30th Jun 2009, 02:28
Unfortunately, too many meat missile operators expect these qualities for the price of a few beers and slop from the DZ kitchen.
Maybe the proposed new regs will give pilots some of the clout they need and deserve

Unfortunately I think the newly proposed regs will do the opposite in the case of a questionable operator, the draft regs I've read from the APF put the spotlight directly on the pilot with little or no consideration of other influences which determine a safe out come.

So in effect what I can see happening under the proposed rules & considering the current climate the operator can dictate what rules they want their pilots to follow & when it goes pear shaped the first thing CASA & the APF will do is knock on the pilots door.

Thankfully there's a lot of good DZ operators out there that don't bend the rules to much :}

mcgrath50
30th Jun 2009, 08:40
Any chance of mentioning the better operators?