PDA

View Full Version : Altimeter Setting Std Pressure

NO DELAY EXPECTED
28th Jun 2009, 21:46
Can someone in the know give the correct answer to :
In the UK or Europe .When is it correct to set STD pressure on the climb ? ?
Air Law in the Jepps suplement used to say "when cleared to a FL set STD pressure"...... is this still the case as I cant see it in there anymore ??
Also when operating in the USA ( transition Alt 18000 ft),
you are climbing passing 8000 ft and you are now are cleared to FL 230 , do you set STD pressure straight away or wait till transition altitude ??
There used to be a "within 2000ft of transition set STD " but cant see that anymore either !
Many Thanks

MarkerInbound
28th Jun 2009, 23:36
In the FAA's Instrument Procedures Handbook, it says to change altimeter settings while in the transition layer, which is almost always going to be between 17,000 and FL180 over here.

In your example, if you're climbing out of 12,000 and center says "For traffic, maintain one four thousand." If you've already set QNE, you may not have separation when you level out.

IndAir967
29th Jun 2009, 07:18
Climbing -> U shud switch to QNE at the time of reaching and climbing thru Transition Level and further reports are in Flt Levels only.

Descending-> U shud switch to QNH at the time of reaching and passing thru Transition Altitude and further reports are in Altitudes only.

Hope that helps.
:ok:

jb5000
29th Jun 2009, 08:05
I think it might be company specific:

Here we set STD when cleared to a flight level, and there are no more altitude constraints on the SID.

We set QNH when cleared to an altitude.

Dave Gittins
29th Jun 2009, 08:14
I thought the simple position was a FL = 1013.25, Altitude = QNH and Height = QFE.

eg. Cleared descend altitude seven thousnd feet, QNH 1007, level by Epsom, report leaving FL 110.

Jumbo Driver
29th Jun 2009, 08:30
This has been covered before (http://www.pprune.org/questions/340702-altimeter-setting-procedures.html) in these threads (qv) but, for UK, you may find the following references helpful:

UK AIP, ENR 1.7 - ALTIMETER SETTING PROCEDURES (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/enr/EG_ENR_1_7_en.pdf)

5.1.4 Within Controlled Airspace a pilot should set one altimeter to the latest Aerodrome QNH prior to take-off. While flying at, or below, the Transition Altitude vertical position will be expressed in terms of altitude based upon the Aerodrome QNH. When cleared for climb to a Flight Level, vertical position will be expressed in terms of Flight Level, unless intermediate altitude reports have been specifically requested by Air Traffic Control.

5.3.1 When an aircraft is descended from a Flight Level to an Altitude preparatory to commencing approach for landing, ATC will pass the appropriate aerodrome QNH. On vacating the Flight Level, the pilot will change to the aerodrome QNH unless further Flight Level vacating reports have been requested by ATC, in which case, the aerodrome QNH will be set following the final Flight Level vacating report. Thereafter, the pilot will continue to fly on the aerodrome QNH until established on final approach. When requested by the pilot or local procedures require, the appropriate QFE and aerodrome or threshold elevation shall also be given.... and ...

Note to table at para 6.3 of Section 1 Chapter 6 of CAP 493 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP493Part1.pdf).

NOTE When an aircraft has been cleared to climb from an altitude to a Flight Level, vertical position will be reported in terms of Flight Level, unless intermediate altitude reports have been specifically requested by ATC. Similarly when a pilot is descending from a Flight Level to an altitude, the pilot will change to the aerodrome QNH unless further Flight Level vacating reports have been requested by ATC, in which case the QNH will be set following the final Flight Level vacating report.

Hope this helps ...

JD
:)

Dave Gittins
29th Jun 2009, 08:44
Is that what I said ?

So if you were doing as in my previous you would set QNH after leaving FL 110.

If however the instruction was "Cleared descend altitude seven thousand feet, QNH 1007, level by Epsom, report leaving FL 110 and passing FL85."

You keep on 1013.25 until after the 8,500 ft call.

(he says hopeful that he has understood)

Jumbo Driver
29th Jun 2009, 08:59
You keep on 1013.25 until after the 8,500 ft call.

Almost right Dave - you keep on 1013.25 until after the FL85 call ...

Enjoy DOH ...

JD
;)

Dave Gittins
29th Jun 2009, 09:02
Yer gotme

A valuable lesson in making sure you say exactly the right thing

:ok:

And it's too 'ot 'ere (43 C right now) and the PA-28s aren't allowed out over 39 C

Don't see much chance of flying again until September.

CRJ2
1st Jul 2009, 09:42
According our SOPs we have to set the altimeter to standard during climb when passing the Transition Alititude and during descent we have to set QNH when cleared to an altitude but latest at Transition Level.

No_Speed_Restriction
1st Jul 2009, 09:46
Personally I dont see the harm in setting 1013 immediately when cleared to a flight level, "unless further altitude reports are required referenced to QNH".

Fratemate
1st Jul 2009, 10:01
So, as we can see, it all depends where you're flying.

In the UK, it's basically set 1013 when you're cleared to a flight level and QNH when you're cleared to an altitude. (Low Transition Altitudes in UK). This is the way most UK operators will act, no matter which country they're flying in.

In the USA, Japan (and it sounds like India); it's 29.92 going through TAlt and QNH when descending through TLvl. No dramas 'cos it's 18000 in the US and 14000 in Japan, so it's not likely you're going to bust a flight level.

In the UK, with low pressure, clearance to a low flight level and healthy aircraft climb performance, it is very simple to bust a flight level if you wait until TAlt to set 1013 and that is a very good reason for doing it as soon as you're cleared. Clearly in Yanky Land etc this isn't really a problem. The only snag I've ever got is trying to remember the damned thing and say 'thank you' to Boeing for giving me the ability to chuck 18000 or 14000 in the fix page. I know, silly old git :}