PDA

View Full Version : NZ Defence Review - shape of forces to 2035

tartare
27th Jun 2009, 20:44
Public submissions called for.
Righto.
Lets see... four C17's to ferry an NZ Army configured as an expeditionary rapid reaction/peace keeping force anywhere in the world with no help from anyone else.
Get rid of the P3's. Two Global Hawks should do it. 24/7 coverage (no disrespect intended 5 Squadron).
That leaves the issue of what to do when the Chinese invade... an X45 or two should sort them out.
I guess dreams are free....
:rolleyes:

Falling Leaf
27th Jun 2009, 22:03
I guess dreams are free....
:rolleyes:
Unfortunately, that is probably the most accurate part of your post. I believe the RAAF C-17 deal for 4 aircraft, spares etc was just over 1 billion, which in other words is pretty much the entire NZDF annual budget...

Plus which, any opportunity to replace aircraft like the C-130 & P-3K have been shot down for another decade or so as the RNZAF has just spent a ton upgrading these aircraft.

As for the X45 or two, if they can't even afford to get the Macchi's up and running to even try and regrow some semblance of an organic strike capability, what chance is there for any new fast jet capability?

In this current economic climate, the NZDF will be doing well to hang on to what it has got or what is about to be built, delivered, upgraded, and that will be about it, IMHO.

seneca208
27th Jun 2009, 22:16
To put it simply, they really dont need much more. They seem to do fine with what they have. Just dont join unless you want to fly a UH-1 :}

Australianguy
28th Jun 2009, 03:03
New Zealand has a defence force? Wow, I though that they just expected Australia to come to their assistance, if required. Last I heard there were only 10 people left in the country anyway. The rest are all in Australia - and we have an Ok defence force to protect all our New Zeland brothers here. :ok:

Falling Leaf
28th Jun 2009, 04:45
Just dont join unless you want to fly a UH-1

Better join quick then Ben_93, you just picked about the only airframe in the RNZAF which IS about to be replaced, nice one! :ok:

seneca208
28th Jun 2009, 04:55
I shall rephrase, dont join unless you want to fly a helicopter. :)

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th Jun 2009, 05:17
NZd's most treasured assets could be protected with ............ 20 million ovine chastity belts! :E

Dr :8

ZK-NSN
28th Jun 2009, 05:29
This from a country still pushing around carabou's and F111's? X45's are going to be f@ck all use next time there is a cyclone up in the pacific Islands or a boat gets in trouble in the Southern Ocean.

I though that they just expected Australia to come to their assistance, if required
Fair call. Take back Jetstar and we'll call it even.

That leaves the issue of what to do when the Chinese invade
When? Have you been to Auckland recently? They have already started. The Chinese arent so bad, nice enough bunch of people, good food too. Less trouble than the Bull Dogs when they come to visit.

wessex19
28th Jun 2009, 06:40
maybe the RNZAF could merge transport (prop and jet) with helo operations into one squadron/ aircraft type!!!:D

http://blog.flightstory.net/wp-content/uploads/hotelicopter.jpg

Cloud Basher
28th Jun 2009, 13:59
I thought Australia provided NZ's Air Force?

YouTube - NZ 100% there for the taking (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QzH--CZyKI)

Cheers
CB

Falling Leaf
28th Jun 2009, 21:24
I thought Australia provided NZ's Air Force?

With a little help. The demise of the RNZAF Air Combat Force was a boon for the RAAF Air Combat Group. Back in 2003, roughly a third of the F-111 pilots at 1 SQN were kiwis.:ok:

XRNZAF
28th Jun 2009, 22:17
FYI Australianguy and any other comedians looking to chime in. Yes NZ does in fact have a defence force...:zzz:

And to be fair, the NZ Gov get pretty good bang for buck I reckon.

My defence review would involve chopping the dole for a month every year, thereby tripling the defence budget. C-17's all round..... :E

j3pipercub
29th Jun 2009, 00:23
Yep, really good bang for their buck, this guy is my hero, seriously

YouTube - kiwi's at their best! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Rg5N_t4aM)

j3

D-J
29th Jun 2009, 01:32
Yep, really good bang for their buck, this guy is my hero, seriously

YouTube - kiwi's at their best!

j3

GOLD! bloody gold! :D

Cougar
29th Jun 2009, 12:00
The 4 AUS C17s actually cost $2 billion - so yes, out of the realm of the Kiwi defence budget. Maybe some cheap A400's going soon if they delay any longer :)