PDA

View Full Version : Alternate for Bangui?

big buddah
27th Jun 2009, 19:02
What's the best IFR Alt for Bangui, also the best VFR alt.

Thanks

4HolerPoler
27th Jun 2009, 19:52
Dakar - GOOY

PilotsOfTheCaribbean
27th Jun 2009, 20:05
Dakar - GOOY
FEFF-GOOY is 2552NM ! Might not be the best choice for an alternate, unless you have a lot of fuel! ;)

I think you are confusing Banjul Gambia with Bangui CAR.

big buddah
27th Jun 2009, 20:38
My apologies should have said Bangui CAR. Didn't think there was more than one!

4HolerPoler
27th Jun 2009, 20:46
I shall crawl away in shame - filed Dakar for Banjul many times but never Dakar for Bangui. Sorry.

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Jun 2009, 04:20
Slap your winkie with a wet noodle, 4HP.

Douala, Yaounde, Pointe Noire, Ndjamena, Entebbe, Kinshasa (maybe not the best choice in really dodgy weather. Does the GS still urine about?).

learner001
28th Jun 2009, 04:48
Glide Slope FIH Kinshasa still U/S . . .

Kind regards, learner . . . ;)

Mobotu
29th Jun 2009, 13:36
Sorry BIG I was in a phone booth changing costumes....

The alternate for Bangui I use most often is Gbabolite - FZFD -147nm - DRC - it is an official point of entry into DRC and has a published ILS, VOR/DME procedure (However use your GPS for precission as the ILS/VOR/DME is not operational on most occasions)

If you have to there is always Gemena - FZFK - 130nm to the South/East - it is not interational but can handle everything up to 707/DC-8 size.

If your in a Van, Kingair or similar you can land in Libenge - 45nm to the South (as it's dry season for the moment should not be a problem) - it's a private airport but did serve as a staging point for SABENA for flights from Europe to Kinshasa before independence.

If your realy brave you can land in Zongo on the other side of the river - less than 5nm from Bangui on the DRC side - ZON31 N 04 19.89' E 018 35.50' it use to be 1500mt but is now overgrown with 600mt remaining.

By the way - The glideslope at FIH is NOT U/S - it has been switched OFF as there is a displaced threshold on RWY 24 of 1400mt - in fact as of this month there is a 300mt hole where the runway used to be - so if you want them to switch it back on for you send me $100 USD and I can arrange it however please ask your boss to check his insurance is current beforehand.:D

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Jun 2009, 13:53
The alternate for Bangui I use most often is Gbabolite - FZFD -147nm - DRC - it is an official point of entry into DRC and has a published ILS, VOR/DME procedure (However use your GPS for precission as the ILS/VOR/DME is not operational on most occasions)

Probably not a legal IFR alternate then.:eek:

MungoP
29th Jun 2009, 20:43
"big buddah"
It might help if you mentioned where you're flight is commencing and what type a/c....
An alternate for a B200 out of Kinshasa is altogether different from a 757 out of LHR.

Mobotu
1st Jul 2009, 09:15
SRT - I'm confused - Probably not a legal IFR alternate then???????
In this part of Africa little if legal, nothing is certain and knowone is still a virgin no matter what they say!
Technically if you file an alternate for an airport with a published approach where no NOTAM exists to the contrary as to an un-operational status then you are in fact legal even if you suspect it might not be the case.
Although Gbadolite has it's power supplied be the Hydro-electric dam nearby the lack of a scheduled airline service since the demise of Wimby Dira Airways and Bravo Air Congo means that knowone checks the system regulary and confirms it's operational status.

If Air France mananged to land their Concord at Gbaolite many times without crashing - chances are you can too......:mad:

MungoP
1st Jul 2009, 10:13
MOBUTU.... Concorde landed at Gbadolite only during the reign of your namesake the 'Great Thief ' (to take him and family away for his birthday if I remember correctly).... There's no way it could be considered a viable and legal Alternate for an IFR flight today.... I used a home-made 'Grandmothers LetDown ' when operating into there with a B200... not something you do with a 75/76 or A340.

mattman
1st Jul 2009, 10:31
Cant remember any approach aides working Gbadolite, and trust me not a viable alt at all, last time i saw the fire truck well come to think of it what fire truck, lets put it this way, even the locals ask you for water when you step out the door........... he he the Great Thief's gold terminal is still there all be it a bit plundered. Some of the "last stand warbirds" are still there guarded like they will take off to defend the empire against............. :E

Try for some of the UN bases in Congo some have the GPS let downs available, they were published if I recall and at least you get some fire protection, Mbandaka, Gemena, Kisingani if you can make it, but your basically up poop street in this part of the world.

Did some flying there and if you want a good place to go when the chips are down try Berberati about 180nm to the west, got a good strip of tar or whats left of it. Been a while so dont take my word for it....

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Jul 2009, 13:51
Technically if you file an alternate for an airport with a published approach where no NOTAM exists to the contrary as to an un-operational status then you are in fact legal even if you suspect it might not be the case.

...And do what when you get there and find that nothing works? Why take the chance in an area you know can be dodgy?

What does Concorde have to do with things? Perhaps the nav aids were working at the time it landed so your point is moot. If they weren't, that would be the operator's problem. Day VFR approach anyone?