PDA

View Full Version : Cumulus for Cirrus?

Medevacjock01
27th Jun 2009, 15:47
I've flown Cirrus aircraft and see that they can be rented from a company called Cumulus. The deal looks OK. Does Cumulus deliver what it says? Has anyone got first hand experience of Cumulus?

execExpress
27th Jun 2009, 23:36
I supplement my Cirrus flying with additional hours from Cumulus (just commenced year 3, this week).

I have been accessing Bournemouth and Blackbushe based aircraft over that time. My experience has been that Cumulus delivers what it says on the tin.

In particular the aircraft have always been in extremely presentable condition (amongst rental fleets theirs really stand out on this) rather than in a state I have to make excuses for to my pax.

You can buy a small block (10 hours) and give them a try.

As always, yours or others mileage may vary. I am nothing other than a paying customer by the way.

englishal
28th Jun 2009, 15:28
Are there any minimums for taking the aeroplane away overnight - or indeed can you?

If EGHH has an N reg Cirrus I might sign up. I've heard good things about Cumulus....

IO540
28th Jun 2009, 17:02
A Cirrus which cannot be taken away overnight is about as useful as a chocolate teapot :)

englishal
28th Jun 2009, 20:04
Yep ;) In order for the group to be of any use then good acces to the aeroplane is essential and you must be able to book it out for a number of days without having any "minimum time" penalties. Normally these groups work this way, you can book the aeroplane for numerous days but only have one such booking like this in the diary at any one time. This is fair enough....

ILOC
29th Jun 2009, 11:35
Was chatting to them at AeroExpo as I'm thinking of buying a few hours. They seem pretty relaxed, some of the things I remember:

You can't book 2 consecutive weekends
You can take the plane away for up to 3 days with no minimum daily useage, more than that is fine but you must do 2 hours/day

englishal
29th Jun 2009, 11:43
Sounds pretty reasonable. I was once in a non capital group which operated the same way and I *believe* Cumulus was started by someone involved / in that group. I hear that it is well run and if there was an N reg one at Bournemouth (hint hint!) I'd buy a few hours or more pa. It needs to be N reg so I can do the Euro IFR thing - to complement my existing VFR aeroplane.

I'll keep my eyes on their website....;)

IO540
29th Jun 2009, 11:53
You can take the plane away for up to 3 days with no minimum daily useage, more than that is fine but you must do 2 hours/day

So, if you go away Mon-Fri, you get billed for 10 hours' flying?

I can perfectly understand the business reason for this but it makes it highly unattractive for actually going anywhere, other than daily burger runs and quick 1-night or 2-night trips into nearby Europe.

englishal
29th Jun 2009, 12:59
I think sometimes this is put in the rules just to stop someone taking the plane to say Dunkeswell from Bournemouth (for example) and having 2 weeks there and then flying back. In the meantime no one else has been able to use the aeroplane. I assume the billing would be 2 hrs per day more than 3 days? So for a 7 day trip you'd have to fly 8 hrs which is reasonable for a flying holiday? In MHE of the group I was in, this rule was never enforced, the only one that was enforced was that if you hadn't used all your hours by the end of the year, then tough, you lost them!

Also the group I was in before allowed everyone to take a 2 week holiday but you could not have more than one booking like this in the diary at any one time.

Also if it is a last minute thing and the diary is empty, one could just book the aeroplane and take it away....

cockney steve
29th Jun 2009, 14:30
it sounds extremely reasonable that you can hire an a/cft. and only pay a "daily rate" of 2 hrs. flight equivalent. Don't forget you have the option to fly those hours.

With insurance, depreciation , time elapsing on parts/maintenance/certification, weathering of paint/tyres/trim, I'm amazed that it's so reasonable.
Anyone questioning this should try hiring an executive saloon-car.
not only is the daily rate substantial,there is a mileage premium to be paid as well.

"back in the day" we used to regularly hire a Godfrey Davis van in Essex and trundle to Edinburgh and back....48 hours hire charge, 1.000 miles at a tanner a mile :eek:....even they wouldn't stiff us for that and a reasonable deal was struck, hence the repeat business.

ILOC
29th Jun 2009, 16:25
They said that the 3 day limit is somewhat at their discretion - if you were planning on going for 4 days and phoned and asked they said it would probably be OK.

I did speak to them the year before and they didn't have any minimum hours policy at all then, but presumably either abuse or lack of aircraft availibility for others has forced them to bring it in.

It is slightly offputting - I've been looking at rental in the States recently and it seems the norm out there.