PDA

View Full Version : Employment Advice Requested: LAME

Saint Jack
27th Jun 2009, 07:41
After a number of years as an avid reader of PPrune I’ve taken the plunge and ‘signed-up’ as a member.

The main reason I’ve done this is to seek advice from the many UK/European based rotary-wing people who share this forum. I’m now considering returning to the UK (or Europe in general if all goes well) and I would greatly appreciate any advice regarding my ‘employability’ in the helicopter business. My preference would be with the smaller operators, not large offshore companies. Please understand, at this stage I’m not looking for a job, I’m simply attempting to ascertain whether looking for a job would be fruitful or not.

I am a British national with an EU passport and a Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (EASA Part 66, A, B1, C and FAA A&P), My EASA licence is only endorsed for A/B206 Series helicopters and 250 Series engines. Yes, I know this is very meager but I’ve only used it, or my A&P, to obtain a locally-issued licence. In this respect I’ve held previous licences and/or have extensive line, base and heavy maintenance experience on Bell UH-1H, 204, 205, 212, 412, 222, AS350 and BO-105. I’ve been associated with commercial helicopter maintenance in Asia for over 30 years in hands-on, supervisory and management roles. I still consider myself to be physically active and not yet ready for retirement although I'd prefer not to climb up and down helicopters on a frequent basis.

In addition to licence-related work, I’ve performed many technical and safety audits as well as produced manuals and developed safety management systems etc. together with the myriad of functions, both technical and non-technical, associated with supervisory and management positions.

All constructive and informative answer or suggestions will be warmly welcomed. Many thanks

helimutt
27th Jun 2009, 07:59
I've always been told there was a shortage of experienced engineers in the UK helicopter industry and even our company has trainees on apprenticeships right now. I think you're best bet would be to get a copy of the BHAB handbook etc and just write to as many organisations as possible. The UK is in a bit of a downturn right now with helicopter use, so maybe not the right time to be seeking employment here, but if you don't ask, you won't get. Good luck.

Saint Jack
4th Jul 2009, 05:51
Many thanks helimutt, I've been waiting (hoping!) for more replies but it appears none will be forthcoming. Perhaps this is indicative of the present situation - as you commented on. Again many thanks.

eivissa
4th Jul 2009, 09:28
Same for Germany, many operators are still looking for experienced aircraft engineers. I could collect some company names if you consider working in here.
With that much experience on Bell Helicopters you could have a look at Grupo Inaer in Spain as well. They have a very large fleet. Maintenance headquarters should be in Alicante.

Regards,
eivissa.